California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

toying with selling my beater 89 CRX

Old 12-10-2004, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face toying with selling my beater 89 CRX

hey Bay Area peeps!

I received a fair amount of interest in people wanting to buy my CRX when I posted a thread a while back about donating it for a tax write-off, so I figured I'd consider selling it.

ok, first and foremost, it's a beater. this car is beat up. it's 15 yrs old (I'm the 2nd owner) and has it's share of wear-n-tear, dents, etc. it's never been in an accident, but someone hit the L rear bumper pretty good when it was parked on the street and pushed it in about an inch or two. there's various other dents n scratches, and someone even kinda keyed one area; it looks like they had their key between their fingers and punched at the metal a couple times. (I think I pissed off a neighbor over something stupid... and I know who it is... )

the good news: it passed smog easily very recently (12 July, '04) and I think that means you don't even have to smog it until 2006. it tracks straight (no weird tire wear or anything), and starts up on the first try 99% of the time (once every few months, for some reason it takes a few tries... kinda like the engine is getting flooded? ). it is my daily driver. I literally drive it everyday that I'm not having fun in my S, so it is very reliable. of course, it also gets super great gas mileage.

one thing: the clutch is really friggin worn and will need to be replaced soon. that is the only thing I can think of that'll need fixing right away. I still drive it everyday, but I have to accelerate pretty slowly or the clutch starts to slip. if I have to mash the gas pedal to accelerate quickly-- it aint' gonna happen. this isn't really very safe so whoever buys it I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you get the clutch replaced ASAP.

of course, the car is sold AS IS.

"as is" however does include a fair amount of fairly new parts (some this year, some in the last few years), like
- tires ('04)
- battery('04)
- spark plugs('02) and wires('04)
- catalytic converter('02)
- radiator ('02)
- master brake cylinder('04)
- entire rear drum brake set ('04)
- exhaust from cat back ('04)
- distributor cap and rotor ('01)
- timing belt('02) and water pump('02).

so I've defintely paid what it took to keep her running, and never abused the motor.

now, I'm offering it to the Bay Area peeps in case anyone is interested. otherwise, I'll just donate it and get the tax write-off. you guys know me, I'll likely be seeing the person who buys it many times on group drives so I ain't gonna lie and try to rip you off. that said, I'm not into the whole haggling back-n-forth with the price deal, "Well you didn't tell me about the hole in the side of the driver's seat, so how about taking $50 off the price for that..." kinda stuff. really, I'm not expecting to get any kind of great benefit by selling it -vs- donating it.

I'll accept offers over $1000. KBB lists it as $1,150 for one in Fair condition. much more, and I honestly don't think the car is worth it, but any less, and it isn't worth the time to sell it... I'll just donate it.

if I get some real interest, I'll take the time to list off some of the wear items that I know about, but I honestly don't think there's some ticking time-bomb of a repair just around the corner or anything, except the clutch needing to be replaced. if you got a question, just ask.

if I don't sell it within the next week or so, I'll go ahead and donate it. no probs. I'm not dying for such a small amount of $ anyway.

oh yeah, as far as test drives, I'm cool with that but you have to agree to TAKE IT EASY on the clutch and I probably won't let you take it on the hwy for that reason. if this is a problem, or you're otherwise not totally sure you want to buy a car that will need some pretty pricey repairs very soon, it's all good, I'll donate it. but if you think you want a CRX for pretty cheap from an honest seller, send me a PM.

I welcome any requests for the VIN to run a Carfax check, PM me and I'll send it to you.

I will seriously consider trading my CRX + $$ for your Toyota Camry, or something similar. I need a more practical 4-seater car, having two 2-seaters is getting old.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:49 AM

^ hey ben i might want it. wanna give me a killer deal on it? Let me know thanks! also is this an si model.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=faukengenius,Dec 10 2004, 09:49 AM] ^ hey ben i might want it.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:08 AM

I'm sure you already know this, but if you decide to donate the car, be sure to do it before the end of the year. In 2004, you can deduct taxes based on the car's market value, but in 2005, that changes to auction value.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:19 AM

^ ben you have pm seriously interested because it sounds like its in top notch condition!
Old 12-10-2004, 04:51 PM

Sounds very cool, they are great cars. But one thing you may want to check on, I believe when the new owner goes to title the car, it has to have been smogged within the past 90 days otherwise it has to be smogged again.

Hope your car finds a good home soon!

Peter
Old 12-11-2004, 01:57 AM

I've been checking prices on a Camry and for kicks decided to compare it to a Land Rover, a vehicle that when new costs about 2x what a Camry costs.

from what I'm seeing, Land Rovers lose about half their value in 2 yrs.

after 4 yrs, they're about the same price as a Toyota Camry of the same model year!!
Old 12-12-2004, 04:42 PM

hey guys, I'm having trouble finding a replacement for my CRX (looking for a later model Camry)-- it probably has something to do with it being the holidays. so what I think I'm going to do is fix the clutch in my CRX and drive it for a bit longer then sell it sometime next Spring.

I'll start a thread when I do. thanks for all the interest.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:13 PM

good luck with everything man.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:48 AM
SaV

Is the CRX still available?

Quick Reply: toying with selling my beater 89 CRX