California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Total suspension noob questions

Old 06-21-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Total suspension noob questions

While I'm no mechanical guru, I understand my way around an engine / engine bay fair enough however I'm fairly ignorant in all things suspension oriented. I'd post in the suspension forum, but tbh I don't want to read a thread of responses that are biased and irrelevant, plus I trust your guys' advice more than anyone on the forums. Please bare with my ignorance:

So, currently I have 8 coil Skunk2 springs on an otherwise stock suspension (MY06). This offers a ~2.00" drop, and a acceptable ride quality in terms of stiffness. It might be on end of the spectrum in terms of what I'd like my driving sensation, but still on the spectrum.

That being said; I've been looking at changing to swift springs. The sport streets offer a F: .7" and R: 1.00" drop. The sport spring spec R offer a 1.2" drop all around. Ideally, I'd like to be floating around a ~1.8"-1.5" drop in terms of visuals, so incomes the ignorance.

I'm looking at doing the spring change for performance aspects, but left on a stock setup would be giving up a lot of visual. So I would have to invest in a further setup to allow adjustability, so my question is... what?

What would you I be needing part wise? What are your suggestions? This is my DD / Spirited Weekend / Auto X (Thanks for getting me on the drug guys ), so keep that in mind. Does anyone have any personal, or researched insight as to a ride comparison between the Spec R swift's and the Skunk2s? Even if it's the same ride, i would be happy... as long as they're not more stiff. I'm just not entirely sure what other components go into a suspension swap, and what would be worth spending money on. I'm not going to say that money is not an issue, however I'd rather save up 5 months to get what is going to make me happy than buy something this second and be unhappy.

Appreciate the insight as always guys
Old 06-21-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not invest in coilovers? Can adjust to where you want to be height wise as much as you want.

I have the PSS9's and love the DD comfort. When I hit up the twisties I just make it 2 clicks stiffer and handles on rails.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 PM

I would save up and go with coilovers
Old 06-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I would rather put money in to a set of shocks vs making your stock shocks adjustable.
A set of springs is like 250? and then to make your stock shocks height adjustable is like 450 for the set I saw a while back. You can get some Bilsteins (PSS) for like 900 bucks and you have something that'll last you a long time.
They were a bit under sprung for me but they definitely ride smooth and some say they're what the stock shocks should have been. The spring rates are 340F and 285R and I'd say they're probably good for at least another couple hundred lbs. You can later get new stiffer front springs and run the original fronts in the rear.

Mine have been revalved and I'm running 672F and 560R, you're more than welcome to go for a ride if you come out Friday or if you go to the auto x Sunday.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:29 PM

Well yes, I suppose that's what I'm asking is what other aftermarket stuff would you all suggest. I'm sold on the swift springs, so what shocks would you suggest?

I never intended in making my stock setup adjustable, sorry if I worded it in a way that made it sound like that.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:32 PM

I agree with everyone here... Save up and get a good set of coilovers.

Either Bilstein (PSS or PSS9) or KW's are worthy of the money spent. Some will say certain Tein models are good as well, although I have no exsperience with them, so I can't comment on those.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash,Jun 21 2010, 09:29 PM
Well yes, I suppose that's what I'm asking is what other aftermarket stuff would you all suggest. I'm sold on the swift springs, so what shocks would you suggest?

I never intended in making my stock setup adjustable, sorry if I worded it in a way that made it sound like that.
I guess that drive over the weekend got to you. Im in the same boat also I think im leaning towards coilovers..
Old 06-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to run swift springs then you first have to decide what suspension you're going to get and then choose the right length, diameter and spring rate.

http://www.swiftsprings.com/file/Coilover_Springs.pdf
Old 06-22-2010, 05:26 PM

Thanks mac, appreciate it
Old 06-22-2010, 06:54 PM

spec r is not out yet so your only choice right now is the sports and at the price, its the cheapest way out and swift springs is one of the best spring to run if you decide to keep just stock shocks/spring setup

i guess its just if you want to spend under 300 or up to 1000 for coilovers like everyone is recommending

Quick Reply: Total suspension noob questions