California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Titanium exhaust welder in the bay area?

Old 10-08-2010, 06:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Titanium exhaust welder in the bay area?

Can anyone suggest an awesome titanium exhaust welder in the bay area? It's to fix a rattling j's muffler (not the resonator).

I'd rather not drive the exhaust down to LA to have Chris at CPR fix it. That's the go-to place in LA.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 07:10 PM

Limited answer:

I had to have work done on my exhaust, had a little bit of a mishap. I took it to Broadway Muffler in Walnut Creek. That guy did some seriously clean work, and he was a really good guy to work with. Dunno if he's done titanium work, but he was going crazy on a bunch of different metals when I pulled in. I think he would answer you straight on whether he works with Ti, at least I got that kind of 'honest feel' from doing business w/ him.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/broadway-muffler-s...k#query:Muffler

Just throwing that out there FWIW
Old 10-10-2010, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just an fyi, contrary to what many people seem to think, anybody with a tig welder and one piece of titanium filler rod should have no problem repairing your exhaust system.

I've come to realize that many people are under the impression that some sort of special vacumed/clean room facility is needed for proper titanium welding, and that is not the case. That is what the shielding gas is for!

I could do it no problem, unfortunately the price of a tig machine is in the quad digit range. I really should invest in one of the tiny portable miller tig welders and start cashing in like whoever that guy is in Los Angeles...
Old 10-10-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toofarfromjune,Oct 10 2010, 10:07 AM
Just an fyi, contrary to what many people seem to think, anybody with a tig welder and one piece of titanium filler rod should have no problem repairing your exhaust system.

I've come to realize that many people are under the impression that some sort of special vacumed/clean room facility is needed for proper titanium welding, and that is not the case. That is what the shielding gas is for!

I could do it no problem, unfortunately the price of a tig machine is in the quad digit range. I really should invest in one of the tiny portable miller tig welders and start cashing in like whoever that guy is in Los Angeles...
How much experience do you have welding Ti? Most welders are under this same impression, but most just don't have the exp. or control not to blow holes through the Ti.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuhsi,Oct 8 2010, 07:53 PM
Can anyone suggest an awesome titanium exhaust welder in the bay area? It's to fix a rattling j's muffler (not the resonator).

I'd rather not drive the exhaust down to LA to have Chris at CPR fix it. That's the go-to place in LA.

Thanks
I have a guy that I can recommend to you that is local. He has fixed several Amuse and J's Ti exhausts. Hopefully mine won't be on that list any time soon

Shoot me a PM if you want his info.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:55 AM

PM'd
Old 10-10-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Oct 10 2010, 11:31 AM
How much experience do you have welding Ti? Most welders are under this same impression, but most just don't have the exp. or control not to blow holes through the Ti.
I've mostly had to use tig for stainless tanks and aluminum applications but once the settings are dialed in it doesnt feel very different. I have done some titanium welding in the shop on occasion but for the most part I work out in the field and most work to be done out in the field does not include fancy little titanium components. I would probably hack a titanium test pipe in half (hopefully similar wall thickness) and practice on that for a few minutes to find the right settings/speed before committing to the repair of someones high end cat back like the one on your car Vu. I would measure the wall thickness of both my test piece and the exhaust system in need of repair with some calipers, adjust the welder accordingly, and then start collecting side $$$ :-)