California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Tires... Commuting, Tracktime and managing the two.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been struggling with the same issue. After three years and four sets of tires, I've come to terms with the fact that there is simply no way around the wear issue unless you get tires that suck the soul out of the car. Ultimately, I will get a set of dedicated track rims and tires even though I have nowhere to put them.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of TR Motorsports C3s 17x9 +62 all around that Im about to throw up in the for sale section (just need to clean them up first) if you are interested in picking up another set of cheap 17" wheels.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:37 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1345929712' post='21964467
Get one tire that does the streets a little better and the track alright. If you're really fast and the tire difference matters, get a second set of rims and consider changing to a setup that allows for 17 on both street and track.

I opted not to go dual wheel setup. Been very happy with my setup.

What tires are you using? I'm not that fast but I do like having that piece of mind when I am "attempting" to be fast

Originally Posted by eklipz98
I forgot to say, simply, just get star specs.
I love em to death.. And whats nice about them is since I can't rotate due to being staggered they will last just the right amount of time before a rotation would need to happen.

Originally Posted by chuhsi
will you really swap wheels whenever you want to have a spirited drive? sounds like a pita.

20 miles a day for commuting isn't much. I would just drive RS3's. They're relatively cheap for the grip you get.

The other alternative is to get a less sticky tire...like a sumitomo hrziii. They're about $100 each and last forever. I've run a few slow track days on them and they're fun because you learn how to drive the car better versus letting tire grip cover bad driving habits.

Not a bad idea.. If I do get a second set they will be RS3's for sure. I'm not really inclined to use them to daily on though, especially during the winter. From what I've read they don't perform as well in rain and so forth. The Sumitumo's are another tire I've looked at are relatively cheaper compared to some others out there but I never hear about how well they do on the track aside from how "they are a step down from RS3's and Starspecs."
I've run Starspecs, RS3's and now I'm on HRTZ III. All tires have done very well in the wet weather. Last winter I drove the HRTZ III in snow. They handled well.

The HRTZ III are likely enough tire for you. I've now had two track days on them. What was most noticeable was the softer sidewall, yet they didn't give. They are fairly predictable. I did grease them at the reno-fernly race way this summer. It was 105f out and I forgot to lower the PSI back down. After about 10 minutes I lost the back end. A quick lowering of the PSI and I was back to having fun. If the Starspecs are 9/10, RS3 are 8/10, I'd put the HRTZ III at 7/10. It's plenty of grip as I'm not even driving 7/10 at the track.

Last time I ran about 2.25-2.30 at t-hill if that gives you an idea of my speed. This fall I will go faster and on the HRTZ III.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If I was going to run two sets of wheels, I would likely run a long-lasting all-season "performance" tire for public roads and R-comps for track days. And in your case, I'd run the 16's on the street and the 17's on the track (assuming the 17's are lighter).

Also, it sounds like you want to swap between a set with Star Specs and a set with RS-3's. I don't see much point in doing that. The tires are basically interchangeable, especially in dry street conditions. The only place you will notice the difference is in extended hot track laps (RS-3 will handle heat better and not grease up on you), or in the rain (Star Specs are a little better). You're not gonna grease up the Star Specs on the streets unless you are being very foolish and dangerous.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I planned on using the Sumitumo III's on the street and rs3's for the track. I just put my 16's up for sale.. If they sell they sell, if they don't I'll use them for the street and throw rs3's on my 17's but we'll see.

I'm hoping to just sell them and pick up his TR C3's above and have both sets of 17's as I like how they take the rear for street driving too.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold my mint AP1 wheels with unusable tires on them a few weeks ago for $300, if that helps. Had more interest from Craigslist than from here, though. I'm now running star specs on a dedicated set of 17s for track and a mix of tires on 18s for street (Kumho ecsta LE sport rear and nitto NT555 front). Even though everyone here seems to love the HTR ZIII, I decided to try the Kumhos, since they were rated higher on tire rack and were about the same price. Nittos are left over from when I bought the car.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by -BTT-
I sold my mint AP1 wheels with unusable tires on them a few weeks ago for $300, if that helps. Had more interest from Craigslist than from here, though. I'm now running star specs on a dedicated set of 17s for track and a mix of tires on 18s for street (Kumho ecsta LE sport rear and nitto NT555 front). Even though everyone here seems to love the HTR ZIII, I decided to try the Kumhos, since they were rated higher on tire rack and were about the same price. Nittos are left over from when I bought the car.
Yeah I've gotten better offers on craigslist than I ever have here surprisingly.

I posted them up for $500 obo... Mostly because some sets come without the cenercaps, as well as bad/ or no tires at all. If they sell they sell. I got an offer from CL for $350 but I declined. I just have way too much shit on my plate right now to put out money for another set of rims + two sets of tires in the next couple months, It's just not that big of a priority for me.