California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

thunderhill session

Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madmaxblaster
Thanks a lot for the info guys. Even tho I went to the track today and not mountain driving, I am pretty sure that I can still use some of your input on the track. Unfortunately for one of the driver that rolled his friend's car. I was on turn 4 when the accident happened and he was a few cars ahead of me. It was on turn 5 where the guy rolled. Unfortunate accident but luckily that they both walked away unhurt. The car owner said that the driver was more in shock that he rolled the car. Thanks everybody again for those advice. I will definitely keep those in mind during my next track day. Also thanks Dru for taking me along your car and for being brave that you rode with me and gave me pointers. @ andrewhake, thanks for the advice too and my balls didn't fall off today.
Most important and what I think everyone else in the thread is forgetting is you had fun right?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:27 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1345003716' post='21938141
You'd have to read the policy more carefully. When on the track my understanding is even if someone hits you, you don't have the right to go after them to pay for your damage. You knew the risks when you entered the track and signed the waiver.

My understanding of buying your own track day insurance is that it covers your car up to the value you buy. But of course that might vary.
I'm assuming you've read the policy, since you mentioned you would be purchasing it.
Are you saying that you are only covered if you smash your own car into a wall, but not if someone smashes into you? If you can't go after someone to pay for the damage they inflict on you, does that mean that the insurance policy covers the cost of that damage? That seems like a risky policy on the insurance company's end.

The website you posted is too vague to know what's really covered:

Note: This insurance policy provides physical damage coverage for your automobile while you are participating in a High-Performance Driver Education event. This physical damage coverage will begin when you enter the grounds of a race course and end when you leave the race course premises. Liability coverage is not included in this policy.
Feel free to read the policy in full for yourself.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:37 AM

Thanks a lot for the info guys. Even tho I went to the track today and not mountain driving, I am pretty sure that I can still use some of your input on the track. Unfortunately for one of the driver that rolled his friend's car. I was on turn 4 when the accident happened and he was a few cars ahead of me. It was on turn 5 where the guy rolled. Unfortunate accident but luckily that they both walked away unhurt. The car owner said that the driver was more in shock that he rolled the car. Thanks everybody again for those advice. I will definitely keep those in mind during my next track day. Also thanks Dru for taking me along your car and for being brave that you rode with me and gave me pointers. @ andrewhake, thanks for the advice too and my balls didn't fall off today.
It was nice meeting you yesterday! I had the silverstone parked close to you guys , and Im so sorry I totally forgot your name already lol
Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 AM

I had tons of fun. Lots more to learn as well. My name is jerald. Nice to see you guys out there.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
The one big downside to the track is insurance I guess since you mentioned upsides of the mountains I will mention downsides of the track. You are risking your investment completely where there can always be a "deer" or something that "caused" your accident on the mountains if you happen to go off by yourself. I don't know of many insurance companies that will cover a track related accident. Also, say someone else makes a huge mistake and destroys your car with no fault of your own on the track, insurance company isn't responsible for anyone are they? This could be incorrect but this aligns with what I have been told by people who are involved with or know insurance well.
I think a lot of you forget that your insurance policy does not legally cover the mountain driving we do. I'm sure every insurance company and police office considers what we do on the mountains as reckless driving and no insurance company covers reckless driving. So while you may total your car and get insurance to cover it, there is definitely no guarantee of that. If you slam into a $100k car (not that rare these days) while sprinting through the canyons, you may up footing that bill yourself. If you do at the track, you can legally walk away clean.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had tons of fun. Lots more to learn as well. My name is jerald. Nice to see you guys out there.
Glad to hear you had fun . Be careful, it can become very addictive .
Old 08-15-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
I think a lot of you forget that your insurance policy does not legally cover the mountain driving we do. I'm sure every insurance company and police office considers what we do on the mountains as reckless driving and no insurance company covers reckless driving. So while you may total your car and get insurance to cover it, there is definitely no guarantee of that. If you slam into a $100k car (not that rare these days) while sprinting through the canyons, you may up footing that bill yourself. If you do at the track, you can legally walk away clean.
That is a very true statement, but either way when you mess up that $100k car you are probably getting a roundhouse kick or judo chop or at least a stern talking to, and nobody wants that. $100k cars rarely come out at night though, only the animals come out at night.

@ andrewhake, thanks for the advice too and my balls didn't fall off today.
Fun was had and balls still intact! Flawless victory.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Andrew, my s is worth $100k!
Street cred!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:58 PM

I used to do lots of canyon run for many years. I did bear creek road, page mill, de anza road (near the dam on steven creek), and few other that I was invited too. I didn't learned hardly anything from driving hard on back road at all. I learned more about my car characteristic and my driving skills in one event from auto x than I ever did all those years in back road driving. I used too think I was a hot shit, until I competed in SCCA auto cross. So now, I stop spending my time on touge.

The transition from hard core street racer to auto x was a gigantic gap for my skills as I learned by getting spanked by a lady driver driving a stock car in stock class. Then I dedicated myself to improved my driving. Took me a year to learned how to be fast and competitive (other may take less time to be faster). Then I bought my s2k and took it too UFO auto x and ran into Mac88, Voodoo, and few other s2ki drivers that do track/auto x. They showed me how s2k suppose to be driven at the limit and I had 5 years of auto x back ground.

There is no way I can stand on my brake for a almost 2 second on the public road to set up for the turn 1 at thunder hill and many other corners on the track. I was during almost 110 mph on the straight away and I never ever came close to 100mph on any back road driving (I'm a noob and slow as hell out there you can go faster with better exit speed than me). I spun out at decent speed few times and didn't hit any thing in both of my track days and auto x. If I ever spend out on touge, my car would be in lots of damage. I never have brake fade once when I'm out on my touge run because I'm not hard enough on my brake.

Track and Auto x let you explore your limits in a safe environment and provide lots of room for mistake (not mistake free, some one manage to hit a pole in auto x). Touge there's no run off room and being on public roads you don't know who's sharing the road with at all times. Vehicular slaughter with land you in 10 years in jail.

If you're think you're fast I highly recommend try out auto x. If you can be in the top 5 finisher with more then 5 drivers that day in B stock or STR class with your s2k then you're impressive. But most likely you're be last or the bottom of the list.

BTW, I missed having street cred too, but all that street cred is nothing when you're getting spanked by a lady and old dudes at the auto x event that showed me I aight shit!!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:21 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by tbbsrr
I used to do lots of canyon run for many years. I did bear creek road, page mill, de anza road (near the dam on steven creek), and few other that I was invited too. I didn't learned hardly anything from driving hard on back road at all. I learned more about my car characteristic and my driving skills in one event from auto x than I ever did all those years in back road driving. I used too think I was a hot shit, until I competed in SCCA auto cross. So now, I stop spending my time on touge.

The transition from hard core street racer to auto x was a gigantic gap for my skills as I learned by getting spanked by a lady driver driving a stock car in stock class. Then I dedicated myself to improved my driving. Took me a year to learned how to be fast and competitive (other may take less time to be faster). Then I bought my s2k and took it too UFO auto x and ran into Mac88, Voodoo, and few other s2ki drivers that do track/auto x. They showed me how s2k suppose to be driven at the limit and I had 5 years of auto x back ground.

There is no way I can stand on my brake for a almost 2 second on the public road to set up for the turn 1 at thunder hill and many other corners on the track. I was during almost 110 mph on the straight away and I never ever came close to 100mph on any back road driving (I'm a noob and slow as hell out there you can go faster with better exit speed than me). I spun out at decent speed few times and didn't hit any thing in both of my track days and auto x. If I ever spend out on touge, my car would be in lots of damage. I never have brake fade once when I'm out on my touge run because I'm not hard enough on my brake.

Track and Auto x let you explore your limits in a safe environment and provide lots of room for mistake (not mistake free, some one manage to hit a pole in auto x). Touge there's no run off room and being on public roads you don't know who's sharing the road with at all times. Vehicular slaughter with land you in 10 years in jail.

If you're think you're fast I highly recommend try out auto x. If you can in top 5 finisher with more then 5 drivers that day in B stock or STR class with your s2k then you're impressive. But most likely you're be last or the bottom of the list.

BTW, I missed having street cred too, but all that street cred is nothing when you're getting spanked by a lady and old dudes at the auto x event that showed me I aight shit!!!!
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quick Reply: thunderhill session