California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

thunderhill session

Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tunerplayground
I'm actually more scared of driving my S2000 on public roads than at the track. Too many variables, people texting, on the phone, putting on makeup.
I could not agree more..
Old 08-14-2012, 05:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here we go again with all the usual players coming out of the woodworks. Mountain drivig aside I still think the track carries a higher risk than daily driving. Maybe the track is safer than mountains depending on who is behind the wheel. In the end it's up to an individual driver.

I even have fun driving the speed limit on mountain runs for cool down, safety, or tire preservation reasons. I couldn't imagine it being fun to go slow at the track.

I wonder how people will reply to my philosophies about driving after I actually go on the track. Probably...the same.

I will say that my friend gave me a fully paid track day voucher and any track for my graduation gift. I'm holding off on using it because I don't want one of you boy racers spinning out in front of me at the track
Old 08-14-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
agreed.

You also forgot to mention children racing their sports cars around with their boy wonder dna.
This child now has brz DNA in the blood so extra careful!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Old 08-14-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Here we go again with all the usual players coming out of the woodworks. Mountain drivig aside I still think the track carries a higher risk than daily driving. Maybe the track is safer than mountains depending on who is behind the wheel. In the end it's up to an individual driver.

I even have fun driving the speed limit on mountain runs for cool down, safety, or tire preservation reasons. I couldn't imagine it being fun to go slow at the track.

I wonder how people will reply to my philosophies about driving after I actually go on the track. Probably...the same.

I will say that my friend gave me a fully paid track day voucher and any track for my graduation gift. I'm holding off on using it because I don't want one of you boy racers spinning out in front of me at the track

I stopped going nuts on the twisties when I had a Subaru go head on with me in my lane on my motorcycle when I had it.. Shortly after I stopped taking it out because I got spooked and just got tired of it sitting and sold it.

Then bought the S.. On my second time taking highway 84 a Prius is in lane on a blind corner passing a cyclist. Whether you're going the speed limit or not its dangerous. The tracks have spotters at almost every corner of the track to alert you of what is ahead. There is no comparison between the two at all imo. The mountains are a soothing nice place to be on a warm weekend but far from safe. I'd also like to add that this is what I gathered from being just a passenger on the track. I'm attending the trackday on the 18th to get it out of my system
Old 08-14-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1344817880' post='21931833
Not a veteran track guy
Wouldn't this statement imply you are some kind of track experience .
Lol yup I'm a master ride bummer. Been to five track days in my life just never behind the the wheel. Ridden with the Martin and max-revs of the fast groups and with plenty of first timers. It's been fun.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Just to add to my point, a first time driver at the track has the option or requirement to have an instructor with them depending on the organization. They are able to learn at their own pace in a controlled environment, free of a lot of distractions, police officers, and safety concerns compared to the mountains. Besides the costs, please tell me all of the upsides the mountains have?
Really I agree. But I would say at least 90% of the people I know who have spent any amount of time on the track and aren't miserably slow have spent far more time driving in the mountains (or somewhere uncontrolled) than at the track. But who knows right? The one big mistake people make when they hear about someone having fun driving in the mountains is that it is impossible to learn your limits out there in a safe way without endangering others. It isn't, don't let anyone tell you it isn't.

The one big downside to the track is insurance I guess since you mentioned upsides of the mountains I will mention downsides of the track. You are risking your investment completely where there can always be a "deer" or something that "caused" your accident on the mountains if you happen to go off by yourself. I don't know of many insurance companies that will cover a track related accident. Also, say someone else makes a huge mistake and destroys your car with no fault of your own on the track, insurance company isn't responsible for anyone are they? This could be incorrect but this aligns with what I have been told by people who are involved with or know insurance well.

The other upside, like I always mention, is seat time, you are guaranteed to be able to get more seat time driving in the mountains, even if you are a professional driver. The value of that time is all up to the driver though. I probably learn more about driving on my commute than many people do all day at the track, and that has nothing to do with driving fast or aggressively. There is much more to being a good driver than being fast or aggressive.

Nobody that drives in the mountains will have any bad blood for people that only drive at the track. I love these arguments so much I will try to think of more "upsides" hehehe.

All that said, if you are afraid to drive on public roads you are why traffic in California is so shitty (not directed at you Vu)
Old 08-14-2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Old 08-14-2012, 06:57 PM

I almost forgot. To the OP. Just have a good time! Don't let any little girls arguing on the Internet spoil your fun!

Another upside to mountain driving! More interesting wildlife. I have met so many deer, racoons, foxes, turkeys, chupacabras, and other such creatures up on the mountains at night. All the noise at the track scares them away.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 PM

Jealous. I've always wanted to see a chupacabra. It's on my list, right up there with Ligers and Bigfoot.

Quick Reply: thunderhill session