California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

thunderhill session

Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Not a veteran track guy
Wouldn't this statement imply you are some kind of track experience .
Old 08-14-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Bring some basic tools, an extra quart of oil, an extra rotor front and rear. A chair to sit in between sessions.

On your first track day avoid getting close to other cars. You'll be in the beginner group, even if you can drive don't assume other can. Many will spin right in front of you. If you get jammed up in a group, pull into the pits and wait for a clear opening.

Watch out for the goofs there to prove something or thing they're racing. A track day is not a race.

You'll make it easier on yourself if you search for track prep advice and follow it. Most of the work is done before hand.

Air pressure. Review after every hot lap and adjust. You can grease your tires and spin.

Finally, remember you're there to have fun. You aren't paid to win. If you crash, you will pay however to fix the car.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slightly2ned
Heard its hella hot & there were some people pushing a bit over at the event today. Was there a GT3 that spun & hit the wall & a Mazda that rolled over the hill like 4 times?
Yikes those are bad accidents. A good reminder that our cars are not invincible just because they are on a track and not a public road. There always seems to be this belief that the track is safe but beating the heck out of your car for hours in the hot sun counts for something before thr accodent risk is factored in Every time ive been to the track I've seen at least one car leave on a tow truck and sometimes multiple.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by slightly2ned' timestamp='1344966528' post='21936538
Heard its hella hot & there were some people pushing a bit over at the event today. Was there a GT3 that spun & hit the wall & a Mazda that rolled over the hill like 4 times?
Yikes those are bad accidents. A good reminder that our cars are not invincible just because they are on a track and not a public road. There always seems to be this belief that the track is safe
I don't think anyone that goes to the track thinks it is safe, just safer.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1344982734' post='21937408
[quote name='slightly2ned' timestamp='1344966528' post='21936538']
Yikes those are bad accidents. A good reminder that our cars are not invincible just because they are on a track and not a public road. There always seems to be this belief that the track is safe
[/quote]
Gotcha. But if someone daily drives the s and never does mountain runs, the track is the riskiest place possible comparatively.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1344982983' post='21937417
[quote name='eklipz98' timestamp='1344982734' post='21937408']
[/quote]
Gotcha. But if someone daily drives the s and never does mountain runs, the track is the riskiest place possible comparatively.
[/quote]
I'm sorry, but for a guy that has never driven on the track, you really have no business making this statement.

You want to compare the mountains, where there are every changing road conditions, oncoming traffic, soccer mom doing her makeup, and no emergency personal against the track, which is the exact opposite.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:41 PM

Just to add to my point, a first time driver at the track has the option or requirement to have an instructor with them depending on the organization. They are able to learn at their own pace in a controlled environment, free of a lot of distractions, police officers, and safety concerns compared to the mountains. Besides the costs, please tell me all of the upsides the mountains have?
Old 08-14-2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1344982983' post='21937417
[quote name='eklipz98' timestamp='1344982734' post='21937408']
[/quote]
[/quote]
Dude please don't get started with your amazing road skills but don't bother coming to the track. Real men set their times on a track. Little boys race on the street.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually more scared of driving my S2000 on public roads than at the track. Too many variables, people texting, on the phone, putting on makeup, etc.

I find myself turning on my headlights during the day now just so people can see me (like a motorcycle).

Even though the car is green and loud, apparently it's low and difficult to see, and I miss having a horn to use for honking at idiots. Hahaha.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by tunerplayground
I'm actually more scared of driving my S2000 on public roads than at the track. Too many variables, people texting, on the phone, putting on makeup, etc.

I find myself turning on my headlights during the day now just so people can see me (like a motorcycle).

Even though the car is green and loud, apparently it's low and difficult to see, and I miss having a horn to use for honking at idiots. Hahaha.
agreed.

You also forgot to mention children racing their sports cars around with their boy wonder dna.

Quick Reply: thunderhill session