California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Thinking of moving to the Valley.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I commute from Livermore (Pleasanton border right off of 84) to Santa Clara. It's 26 miles each way. It's a long drive if I leave any later than 6:30. I take one day working from home on the weeks when I can, but it's still way too far from all my friends. Short commutes rule. I have a beater Civic that I hate driving, but I drive it because 680 and Mission are so bad.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd highly suggest pulling up Google maps and seeing how many miles your commute will be, then divide by 20 (you'll be lucky to get 20 MPG in that traffic) and multiply by 4 (for the price of gas) and multiply again by 21 (work days in a month). That figure is how much you'll be throwing away just on the gas to do that drive every month, not counting the monthly oil change, the tires, etc. As someone who drives a hell of lot, it's amazing how fast all that adds up when you're doing 40,000 miles a year. I'm literally under my car wrenching every single month just to keep up with scheduled maintenance.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not, Bo and I have been contemplating on moving closer to redwood city due to her commute.
Her commute from east san jose to redwood city is roughly 1 to 1.5 hours, and she's been doing it for a little less than one year. Let me tell you, she is burnt 4 out of the 7 days during the week and I can see that it's slowly starting to get to her, mentally.

I'm sure you know what would be best for you and your family =) i know rex doesn't like long drives right ?

I wish you the best of luck my friend!
Old 11-05-2011, 09:50 AM

We need either autonomous cars but thats not quite ready yet. Its really just a simple question, is the increase of quality of life in owning a home worth the decrease in quality of life of the commute. At 2 hours of commute, I'd say hell no.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lewiS2K
Believe it or not, Bo and I have been contemplating on moving closer to redwood city due to her commute.
Her commute from east san jose to redwood city is roughly 1 to 1.5 hours, and she's been doing it for a little less than one year. Let me tell you, she is burnt 4 out of the 7 days during the week and I can see that it's slowly starting to get to her, mentally.

I'm sure you know what would be best for you and your family =) i know rex doesn't like long drives right ?

i feel you man. I drive from South SJ to Foster City/ Belmont area or on some days to Dublin/San Ramon area... T_T traffic is killer and gas is killer... thank god i don't drive the S daily but man the bug gets uncomfortable without any lumbar adjustments.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lewiS2K

i feel you man. I drive from South SJ to Foster City/ Belmont area or on some days to Dublin/San Ramon area... T_T traffic is killer and gas is killer... thank god i don't drive the S daily but man the bug gets uncomfortable without any lumbar adjustments.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So how was the test run?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
So how was the test run?

From Palo Alto to Mantica I left the office around 6:00pm it took me 1 1/2 hours.
From Mantica to Palo Alto I left at 6:00AM. took me almost 2 hours.

Had a long talk with the better half and looks like we are here to stay in the Bay Area
Old 12-02-2011, 10:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanzel28
Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1322802542' post='21203511
So how was the test run?

From Palo Alto to Mantica I left the office around 6:00pm it took me 1 1/2 hours.
From Mantica to Palo Alto I left at 6:00AM. took me almost 2 hours.

Had a long talk with the better half and looks like we are here to stay in the Bay Area
Using the car pool lanes I'm assuming because if I leave PA after 5 PM, it takes me 90 minutes just to get to my house.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hanzel28

Quick Reply: Thinking of moving to the Valley.