California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Thinking of moving to the Valley.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Say goodbye to low milage cars if youre going to continue to commute to PA for work. It can be done, just takes THAT much longer. Additionally the temperature is usually warmer out in that area.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:57 AM

My friend had the same thinking. Went to buy a house in Tracy and commute to San Jose for work. Lasted less than a year, now he is back in the bay.
Don't buy a house cause you want to own a house. Buy the place because you want to live in the neighborhood.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slightly2ned
Say goodbye to low milage cars if youre going to continue to commute to PA for work. It can be done, just takes THAT much longer. Additionally the temperature is usually warmer out in that area.
you would think the weather would be like the bay, but its actually not. like what slightly2ned said, the weather will slightly be warmer out there.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:43 PM

Well, like some others had said, you can still buy something in the bay area, just not as big or you might have to settle for a townhome for now. I am sure a lot of people do it and a lot of people also don't like it after few years. It's all about priority. There is no easy answer. List everything and "rate" them, that might help you decide.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by jerZs2k
Originally Posted by slightly2ned' timestamp='1320350034' post='21126458
you would think the weather would be like the bay, but its actually not. like what slightly2ned said, the weather will slightly be warmer out there.
I don't think the temperature is a big issue consider where Hanzel/Lindsay come from .. hehe
Old 11-03-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by S2KN05
Hanzel. It seems like you guys already decided on the move and just want to have some people agree with you but the case is that we don't like seeing you go and suffer 4 hours commute each day. You said the house is an investment. But let me ask you a few questions. What is you long term goal after you guys have bought the house? Do you plan on staying in the Valley forever? Do you guys want to move back to the Bay Area when the housing market goes up again? Would you guys borrow against the house to do it or sell it outright? Are you planning to buy a second house which is a true "investment?"
We haven't fully decided. We are going to stay down there with some friends to try out the commute. This would be our first and only home. We would not plan to move again. Was just curious to know if anyone else was doing this and for advice.

Thanks for all the comments and advice to those who gave me a peace of mind
Old 11-03-2011, 02:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Sounds to me like you have all the information you need and obviously only you can determine what livable. I can tell you that having your own home is a nice feeling, but there are tons of sacrifices that come with it without having to deal with spending most of your day away from home.

Originally Posted by S2KN05
It seems like you guys already decided on the move and just want to have some people agree with you but the case is that we don't like seeing you go and suffer 4 hours commute each day.
with both. really don't wanna see you go but if that's what you really want, then good luck to you
Old 11-03-2011, 02:57 PM

Sometimes you gotta make sacrifices in life for some things that you really want. Just gotta think if the sacrifice is worth it or will you look back on this and regret not taking that chance. Is the juice worth the squeeze? Only you know the answer to that and how much you're willing to give up to own a house and you'll know whether thats worth it at the end of the day. As long as you don't look back on this with the "man i should have.." thought and with regret, then to me, thats worth it. Doing something because you feel strongly about it and felt like it was worth the chance and not regretting it later on is worth the risk.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:37 PM

I remember my brother Vince did this before; bought a home in Tracy & worked out in Foster City. I recall his life revolved around waiting for traffic to die & trying to crash here in the Bay during the week since the commute was consuming. Sometimes he would ride the Bart as well. After maybe 1.5yrs of ownership, he sold the house due several reasons but the commute was obviously one of them.

If the pros outweigh the cons & youre ready to make the commitment knowing the extent of the effort you/others will have to endure - go for it!
Old 11-04-2011, 02:19 AM

Why the valley??? i lived in the valley for almost 10 years and let me tell you it sucks, their is nothing special about it. im glad i moved from the valley. like i said in the earlier post, good luck with your decision bro. its clear that s2ki is very supportative

Quick Reply: Thinking of moving to the Valley.