California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

thinking about it

Old 05-13-2003, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about it

Sat.10

Coming back from Los gatos with my Buddy.

As i coming of exit from 17(880 north) toward 280 south.
If u live in the San jose area know what i am talking about.
I took the corner pretty hard as i entering 280 south.Took my S
up to around 120 ish(4th).

I saw Highway patrol 1/4 miles ahead i down shift to slow down with no problems.He was going pretty slow.i finally caught up to him.And proceed to pass him doing around 70-75 thinking nothing of it i was not the only car that pass him(3-5 other car).About 4 miles later he came up from nowhere and put his light on me.

Conversation goes.

Him: u came up pretty fast back there.How fast where u going?
Me: about 75 hehe
Him:really, really how fast?
Me:about 75
Him:do u live around here and do u know the speed limit?
ME :Yes i do live around here and i do know the speed limit.

He gave me tic for going 80.He didn't get me on radar or anything.He was polite quick seem to be in hurry.

I was pretty piss for getting the tic.I thought to myself i been very lucky as much i street race and mess around.Plus i know after spending number hrs behind the wheel.Either u get in the accident or get a ticket, so i kinda comfort myself there.

I am thinking about fighting it. What Ya think i have chance?
Yeah i did speed but ,the Highway patrol was guessing his ass off.Plus i have a witness(my buddy).

And please don't give any smart ass comments.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2003, 02:31 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had almost the same thing happen except it was 95 in a 65 and he wrote me for 80. I appreciated it. Don't fight it. You said you don't have any tickets, so in Cali you can do driving school and it won't go on your record.

My result of this..I did driving school, since I did get off lucky I have slowed down considerably. It just is not worth getting caught.
Old 05-13-2003, 02:34 PM

s2000raj.

Thanks bro.

I guess i am over do.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:03 PM

I don't mean this as a smart ass comment or anything but how much do judges actually believe witnesses? I mean, can't anybody just walk in there with you and say you were driving 65 or something of that sort?
Old 05-13-2003, 09:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A judge is not going to put any weight on the testimony of your buddy.

You could argue to the judge that because the officer asked you several times how fast you were going, that he himself did not know your true speed. He did not radar you, so he will have to say that he determined your speed by looking in his rear view mirror. Ask him if he's been trained to determine the speed of vehicles by judging how fast they move. Of course he will say yes. Then ask him during his training, how long is he required to maintain constant view of the vehicle. Hopefully he will give you some large number. At that point you could argue that he could not drive his car and maintain constant view of your vehicle. Of course I am just grasping at straws, but it might work.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:12 PM

Go to court and tell your story the judge will give you a ticket for 75 instead of 80. Then he also will prevent you from going to traffic school. Best bet when pulled over is to keep mouth shut and hand it to a lawyer afterwards.
Old 05-14-2003, 07:07 AM

Voodo_s2k

Thanks.i might have fight this one.

Soulja6476

That good question,i have no idea???
Old 05-14-2003, 07:40 AM

There is no way you will win this ticket in court. You already admitted to the Officer you were going 75mph, they write all that stuff down. This isnt a smart ass comment but why if you saw a CHP did you pass him at 75mph? It seems like you are just asking to get a ticket to me. Your best bet is to pay the ticket and go to traffic school.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:09 AM

JDMwhore.

I was not the only one passing him,there were 5 other cars passing him atleast doing about 80 or more.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by iceple
JDMwhore.

I was not the only one passing him,there were 5 other cars passing him atleast doing about 80 or more.
So its ok to pass a CHP at 75-80mph as long as you have other cars passing with you? Sweet gumball rally time!!

Quick Reply: thinking about it