California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Think I might need a security system

Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I might need a security system

Had a spooky situation with my S last night (story below) and am now considering either a LoJack or some sort of pager alarm system. Do any of my fellow Bay Area S2000 owners have recommendations for a good security system? I hate the thought of losing my S to some punk bitches and I would be even more frustrated if I didn't take the opportunity to protect my car beforehand.

Here's the story...

As I was leaving a friend's house in San Mateo around 11:15 pm last night, I noticed a beat up Nissan Altima parked behind my S, engine running and headlights on. I'd never seen this car in the neighborhood before and for some reason it gave me a really bad feeling. I really wished I hadn't parked on the darker side of the street.

I approached the vehicle slowly and tried to get a good look at the driver. I'm not sure if the darkness prevented me from seeing into the car or if the windows were darkly tinted but I couldn't see into the vehicle at all. I made a point to make my presence known as I purposely walked between my S and the Altima leering into the driver's side the entire time. I continued looking into the car while I unlocked the S, opened the door, and hesitated before finally getting in and locking the car. Shortly thereafter the Nissan sped off down the street.

Still feeling uneasy, I decided to grab the license plate of the Altima before it was too late. Fortunately, there is only one way in and out of this particular neighborhood which made it easy to catch up and jot the license plate number down. I ended up calling the San Mateo Police Department non-emergency line but they weren't particularly interested in helping after the fact. Next time, I will simply call them right away.

So, if you find yourself in San Mateo between Hillsdale Blvd. and Ralston Ave, and you see a ghetto ass Dark Green 2000ish Nissan Altima with either primered or beige doors, don't take your eyes off your S2000.

/rant
Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 AM

yeah that was coincidence man... he was there to do some dirt..
Old 03-24-2010, 11:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got lojack, but luckily haven't (and hope) not to need to use it. Could be a coincidence, he could have been talking on the phone.

You did the right thing by calling the police, at least if something does happen they hopefully have record of your call. Also if something happens, you have a prime suspect.

Here's to hoping it was a coincidence
Old 03-24-2010, 11:43 AM

maybe he was hotboxing the car. lol
Old 03-24-2010, 11:44 AM

Don't waste your money on Lojack. Get a stealth installed alarm and if you really want, get the GPS alarm, but there is a yearly service fee. Personally, I would just get a DEI 2-way alarm with a back up siren and back up battery.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:30 PM

just go outside and investigate with your shotgun. let them know you are crazy, it does help

My S has been keyed, had stuff stolen, top torn, etc, it gets very old, very fast. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It was a good idea to show presence that the car belonged to you as well as calling the police because w/ the police, they can run a background check on solicitors and keep a record of activities in their notepad.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:01 PM

Damn..I'm in that area a lot. Thanks for the heads up.

..this is why I don't park the S overnight or consider spending money on a sound system.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, that sucks.

i wonder if they got anything on the guy.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:31 AM

you did the right thing. Hopefully there isn't going to be another encounter with them.

^ It's good to have police presence where my car is parked right Joey

Quick Reply: Think I might need a security system