California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Test drove a White s2k at Anderson

Old 07-24-2001, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove a White s2k at Anderson

My first post, hope it will go through. Test drove the used white s2k at Anderson this past weekend, you can see the car at their web site. I am considering a 2002, just wanted to drive one now to get a feel of it. Got q couple of quick question.

1) this will be my first convertible, my concern is that the wind noise will be pretty loud. I drove both top up/down. This was a 2000 model without the wind deflector between the two seats, how much improvement in terms of noise with the wind deflector on the free way???

2) It was really nice driving top down on a Sunday afternoon. But when I put the top up, something seems to be wrong. The wind noise is huge. The sales person claimed that this used one had some problem with the top that there is a gap between the top and the windshield. Is this a common problem for S2K? can this be adjusted by users? I am kind of worry because the wind noise was definitely very loud (with top up and windows closed)

3) I didn't drive very hard, only pushed it to 7K once or twice on the free way. But the ride did not feel as stiff as I thought it would be.

Anyway, will probably go for another test drive when the time gets closer. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:23 AM

1) No idea, I dont have a windscreen.
2) Im certain it can be owner-adjusted, there is a fair bit of noise with the top up, but most of it is driveline noise. But who drives with the top up?
3) Thats not a question.
Old 07-24-2001, 12:38 PM

1.) With the regular windscreen and windows up, it's somewhat better. With Rick's Windscreen and the windows up, it's a LOT quieter. You can carry on a normal conversation with your passenger.
2.) There's a TSB out on this, apparently, and Honda will replace the latch if you have problems. IAC, even if there isn't a TSB, it should be a warranty item. And certainly most S2K's do not have the problem.
3.) Not a question. I find it stiff enough for most stuff, and the addition of one of the X-Braces enhances the front stiffness substantially, from what I've read here, but I haven't made that mode, yet.
Old 07-25-2001, 07:53 AM

I don't really notice the wind noise with the top up or down. For some reason, traffic noises seem more noticeable with the top up, but that is so rare with my car that I consider it irrelevant. Always drive with the top down and it's not an issue.

I owned mine for over a year before adding a Mingster Aeroscreen because I didn't want to drill the two holes in the "secret compartment" door. It makes a gigantic difference and I would recommend it to anyone who still doesn't have a wind screen for their S2000. The cockpit was calm enough for the air conditioner to keep me comfortable while driving 90 mph through the desert when the temperature was in the 100's (see reference, below).

As for the stiff ride, it's most noticeable when driving slowly over rough pavement. The faster you go, the better it feels.

Regarding #3, you missed out if you didn't take it to 9000 rpms.