California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Tempted to sell my S

Old 06-07-2004, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tempted to sell my S

This guy is selling a Supra TT in good condition (and stock to boot) thats also at a good price, but to afford it I'd have to sell the S... I have to say that it's tempting to go for. As much as I love the S, the supra is a nice car .

Anyone know of major issues with supra's or any problems with it? Not really looking to be convinced which way to go, but if anyone has words of wisdom in regards to Supra's performance in relation to the S it would be appreciated.

No need to mention the high hp a supra can run with, that's fairly well known. The cargo room and everything would be useful as well . Handling is prolly what concerns me the most atm, I'd have quiet some cash left over if I sold my S for it, so if its just a matter of suspension or coil overs that would actually be viable to do.

Any help would be appreciated -

Dyu
Old 06-07-2004, 04:29 PM

i myself love the Supra... and would consider the same trade depending on a few items:

1. Price
2. Mileage
3. Model (Turbo/manual trans/Targa)
4. and color
5. the owner (you could tell if they abuse it or not)

i have a lot of friends with supras and i could never get tired of the look nor the power... its a lot different car than the S so its not really comparable...it really depends on your taste... i think the only issue i'd have with owning a Supra is that it costs a lot more to fix it up the way i would want to...but you also have a lot more options than an S2... but if i could.... i would keep both
Old 06-07-2004, 05:26 PM

i say sure why not...since you like zainoing your car so much...you'll have more surface space to zaino now!!! woo hoo!

Old 06-07-2004, 07:47 PM

lol
Bull

RedDog - Do you happen to know how the car handles? I've been hearing that it's nowhere as nimble as the S2k, which is something I love dearly.

as for the car-

it's a 1997 red Supra TT stock. It's been driven by a woman too. All good signs. The red color bugs me a bit, but if i went through with it I'd have extra cash left over and would be able to have cash to repaint it to a color I would prefer.

Milage is a problem which is why I think I can use it as leverage to get a better price - 150k miles. Would need to rebuild soon me thinks.

I'm starting to think because of my addiction to canyon driving I would need something that handles really well rather than having power, which is the one and most important thing keeping me back from jumping into things. Though having power and handling well would be the most ideal.

I'm really not that big into drag Need my turns.

Maybe I should just wait for a Z06 or Viper ACR in a few years *shrug*.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:10 PM

150K? holy crap thats a lot of miles...i wouldnt think it would be worth it unless ur gonna plan to do a rebuild
Old 06-07-2004, 10:33 PM

hahaha I have both.

I love my supra. 94 tt with 82K miles on it, with BPU mods. It's fast as shit and it's a comfy highway cruiser. However, it's not nearly as much fun on a twisty road as the S2000 is. It's heavy and while it has LOTS of grip, it doesn't transition as well as the s2k and doesn't communicate as well either.

I would not buy a woman owned car for 150K miles. Ask yourself how many older ladies are willing to let the turbos cool down or change the oil as often (remember oil goes bad much faster in a turbo car)

Old 06-07-2004, 11:04 PM

Good points, Kit.

I don't know many female owners at all who would understand (or take the time) to let the car idle for a little bit before turning it off... much less check to make sure the oil levels are good and to change it on time...
Old 06-08-2004, 08:08 AM

I'd be all over the Supra, but damn 150k miles is a crapload. Out of curiosity, how much is the seller asking? If you need to sell your '03 S2000 to afford it, then I'm thinking the price is too high. Does it have a new clutch and new turbos by now?
Old 06-08-2004, 02:38 PM

Very good point about the turbo cool down... that's something I never thought of .

The price is 27k that they are asking for right now (no way in hell i'm paying that, but they have agreed to being willing to negotiate, I'd only bite if it's under 21k which is slightly above KBB & Edmunds - especially if she's not taking care of the turbo's), I can get about 27-28k for my car. I'd still need to sell the S to afford it unfortunately, I'm trying to see if it's financially possible to sell my family's mustang and put down some cash for it, but that's a little harder to do. At least this way I'd get both the S and the Supra available between my brother and myself.

That way I would get best of both worlds... however that would be pushing it.

All parts on the car are stock no new turbo's or clutch. As I stated before, the ignoring cooling of the turbo's worries me now.

Anyone have Carfax by anychance and could do a search for me? I'd send VIN through PM if you could.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:16 PM

nah, supra is a little too piggy compared to the S...keep S

Quick Reply: Tempted to sell my S