California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Tahoe ski resort passes

Old 09-18-2003, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe ski resort passes

Hey guys,

I'm anxiously awaiting the snowboarding season, and am looking for good deals on lift tickets. Do you guys know where I can get 4-pack and 6-pack tickets for Tahoe resorts?

I will probably pick up the limited season pass for Northstar/Sierra, so I'm primarily looking for tickets for other resorts...Sugar Bowl, Kirkwood, Squaw, and Heavenly would be awesome. Discount tickets for Mammoth Mountain would be great as well.

Thanks for any help.

Btw, FYI, Alpine Meadows has reduced ticket prices this season to $39...pretty good price. Tickets are also sold in limited quantities. (http://www.skialpine.com/tahoe/SITE/top/li...36/0/direct?c=1)
Old 09-18-2003, 11:25 AM

I just checked Kirkwood and it's $439 for an unlimited adult season pass. Ouch!
Old 09-18-2003, 11:35 AM

Yep, and that's on the cheap side...there's a reason I don't have cash for track days...
Old 09-19-2003, 09:51 AM

So when's the best time to go to Tahoe?
And North or South? Squaw or Heavenly for snowboarding?
Old 09-19-2003, 10:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cykogirl
So when's the best time to go to Tahoe?
Old 09-19-2003, 10:24 AM

IMO Heavenly blows, I never have a good day out there and the snow is hardly ever decent. Between the two Squaw hands down, for freeride snowboarding at least.

Alpine for $39 is a pretty good deal. I already have the Northstar/Sierra pass for this year too. Both have pretty nice parks but don't go to Northstar on a Saturday or you'll get nothing done. Hopefully Sugar Bowl will run their 2 for 1 Wednesdays again too. Maybe one trip to Squaw and one to Kirkwood will probably round out my season.

Best time to go ... whenever it decides to start snowing. Last year is snowed early, the year before late. Feb is a safe bet. North or South ... I would say North (Northstar, Squaw, Alpine, Sugar Bowl) but it's not like you can't do both very easily if you wanna hit Heavenly, Sierra or Kirkwood in the South. 2-3hr or so drive through the snow.

I don't think anyone else has pushed out ticket packs yet though. Probably still another month or so. Trying to push season passes now still.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:33 AM

f20cpwr,

This is the first year that I'm looking to purchase a ticket pack. Can you shed some light on how they're usually distributed? Are they normally sold directly by the ski resort, or do you usually purchase them from an independent vendor, like the skate shop?

What I want to do is get the limited Northstar/Sierra pass, and then buy a ticket pack for something like Sugar Bowl or Kirkwood to use on the blackout dates.

And yeah, I agree that the best snow months vary from year to year. I've always had decent luck in January, though. Last year, January was a very good month overall, but the best weekend of the entire season, for me at least, was afterwards, in either late February or early March.

Btw, have you been to Bear Valley? Is it any good?
Old 09-19-2003, 11:09 PM

Bear Valley I would rate a 6.5 out of 10. Lift tickets are cheap, the mountain is pretty friendly and a good ammount of lifts (I think I remember 9 or 10 lifts in all). The place is pretty snowboard friendly also. What I didn't like was the snow which was not as fluffy as I like it, not too many choices where to eat, and the drive to get theres sucks big time if you are coming from the Bay Area.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:19 PM

The only ticket packs I've seen are from the resorts themselves. Like with season passes, sometimes they offer them for limited days. I get the "semi-limited" Northstar/Sierra pass (blackouts at Northstar and unlimited at Sierra) so I just go to Sierra if I'm up there on a holiday or maybe a Saturday because Northstar gets stupid crowded on Saturdays. I don't generally ride on holidays anyway because of the crowds but this gives me Sierra to fall back on. Lots of times I'll do Sierra on Saturday and Northstar on Sunday or maybe Friday.

Sugarbowl for the last couple of years (that I remember at least) has had 2-for-1 Wednesdays, so I'll do that 3-4 times just a change of scenery. Now that Alpine is $39, I'll probably do that 2-3 times, but that's for non-blackout dates as well. Sorry I can't be of more help but I don't really ride on holidays so I don't pay attention to what's available.

Bear Valley is ok, nothing to write home about, but I guess worth checking out once just for the sake of it, you might like it. It's not too crowded and is a decent mountain.

Lets hope this year turns out like last year ...
Old 09-20-2003, 01:36 PM

I am figuring no one actually takes their s2ks to Tahoe. That was the only only 1 reason i nearly didn't buy one - because of my number 1 hobby of snowbarding. But I decided that as I'd never driven my own (old/crap) car to Tahoe in the last 3 years, despite visiting dozens of times, that getting a S2000 wasn't going to stop me from scrounging rides off of my subaru friends as usual

Quick Reply: Tahoe ski resort passes