California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Summer tires safe in the rain?

Old 08-04-2010, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer tires safe in the rain?

Do any of you drive on summer tires when it rains and gets cold here in NorCal? I just picked up my S2K and it came with Yokohama S.drives (95% tread) in stock widths (215f/245r).

I'm new to S2K's and lightweight sports cars in general, but I know how to drive like a sane man. I read somewhere on here that the car should absolutely not be driven on summer tires in the winter, but that sounds a little extreme to me.

Would I still be able to go on the freeway/bridges if it's pouring down?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:23 PM

I drive in the rain fine with my s drive 235/255. just cuz they are summer tires doesn't mean they have no traction in the rain btw but of course if u push it hard enough you can still fish tail
Old 08-04-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will do fine in the rain, just bring the speeds down and drive sensible and you'll be fine.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It has always been my understanding that the 'more performance' of your summer tire (e.g., common classifiers: extreme, max, ultra high, high), the less traction you will have in the wetness. I would just look up the OEM tire stats and compare it with your S. Drives and you should have a pretty good idea of exactly what to expect in the wet.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98,Aug 4 2010, 06:36 PM
It has always been my understanding that the 'more performance' of your summer tire (e.g., common classifiers: extreme, max, ultra high, high), the less traction you will have in the wetness. I would just look up the OEM tire stats and compare it with your S. Drives and you should have a pretty good idea of exactly what to expect in the wet.
This also has to do with the operating temperature of the tire. It can be sunny outside, without a cloud in sight, and your car could be operating as if it were in the rain if you can't get tires up to optimal operating temperature.

But, we don't get enough rain her to warrant having all seasons for the winter months. Hell, I'm pretty sure it was warmer in January this year, than it was in July (not actually true--but it hasn't been terribly hot this summer).

Like Vu said, just drive sensibly in the rain (though regardless of tires on the car, you should).
Old 08-04-2010, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I driven with summer tires all year round since day 1.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:42 PM

great info guys, I appreciate it
Old 08-04-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I recall correctly, the s drives are pretty good in the rain. Just drive normally lol.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98,Aug 4 2010, 06:36 PM
Tread design and the amount of silica in the rubber will play a greater role in the hydro-planing resistance of a tire than performance category.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:07 AM

the honda would not be first choice to drive when its pouring rain. i always drive the honda slow on the freeways when pouring rain here because you never know when you'll hit a giant puddle of water. If caltrans did a better job maybe i coudl drive the speed limit.

Quick Reply: Summer tires safe in the rain?