California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Subwoofer stopped working.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by iDashX
(guessing) you seem to be running a 4 channel amp (1- front driver side; 2- front passenger side; 3+4- bridged to Sub)
If your fronts are working, then power cables are all good. And i'm sure I saw a capacitor in a pic you took before. Make sure you properly discharge this when and if you have to diagnose power issues.

If your sub is not, a few things to check for:
-RCA terminals at the back of the deck (if your running factory, check the high-low converters)
-RCA terminals at the amp
-Speaker wire terminals at the amp
-Speaker wire terminals at the sub box
-Open the box (maybe by removing the subwoofer) and check the speaker wire from the terminal to the subwoofer (I have seen this fall out even on pre-made subwoofers)

If all else fails:
bust out a handy dandy volt meter and start checking for shorts.
Hey Tom,

Thank you for this detailed reply. This, along with the other reply, gives me some specific stuff to check out. You are correct, I'm running a 4-channel amp in the configuration you mentioned (1- front driver side; 2- front passenger side; 3+4- bridged to Sub). You are correct that I use a capacitor also. I'm using a very basic aftermarket Alpine deck (CDA-105). I'm going to tackle the recommended checks to the best of my ability tomorrow. I have no clue how to pull the deck, but I can access the amplifier when removing my amp-rack.

I guess I should also sheepishly mention that my sub is probably 9+ years old (a 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect). I never really beat it out that loud. In fact, I mostly listen to AM-talk radio lately.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
I guess I should also sheepishly mention that my sub is probably 9+ years old (a 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect). I never really beat it out that loud. In fact, I mostly listen to AM-talk radio lately.
wow your sub has it easy then... mine probably hates me with a passion, playing all that panty droppa music
Old 09-03-2012, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1346667010' post='21983849
wow your sub has it easy then... mine probably hates me with a passion, playing all that panty droppa music
LOL, yeah. I always feel guilty punishing the sub. I'm always paranoid I'll blow it, so I never use it. When I do only do, always at medium high volume, and never for long periods of time.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy' timestamp='1346667483' post='21983856
[quote name='eklipz98' timestamp='1346667010' post='21983849']
LOL, yeah. I always feel guilty punishing the sub. I'm always paranoid I'll blow it, so I never use it. When I do only do, always at medium high volume, and never for long periods of time.
[/quote]
well my excuse is that my exhaust is overpowering
Old 09-03-2012, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1346667650' post='21983864
[quote name='tkeyyy' timestamp='1346667483' post='21983856']
[quote name='eklipz98' timestamp='1346667010' post='21983849']
[/quote]
well my excuse is that my exhaust is overpowering
[/quote]
LOL I do have those brief moments where the bass and the Focal speakers can drown out the entire exhaust sound. After eleven years of driving with a sub (and 8 of those with two 12" subs) my ears have taken a beating. In my line of work, I gotta preserve those puppies!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:08 PM

Somehow got it to work. All I did was unscrew the amp and jiggle some wires. I wish I knew what happened but either way it's fixed. Time to bump Dedication 4!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:10 PM

The funny thing is that when my speakers when out last time I could fix it by swerving around or driving on the center line or through a pot hole.Turned out to be this skinny blue wire that was completely severed.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:15 PM

The funny thing is that when my speakers when out last time I could fix it by swerving around or driving on the center line or through a pot hole.Turned out to be this skinny blue wire that was completely severed.
sounds like the ground
Old 09-03-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1346710207' post='21984905
sounds like the ground
I think that's right. The blue wire was flying around and would randomly connect to parts of the car and the sound wound come back on.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Remote wire.

Lol I like how you fix things Casey.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer stopped working.