California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Subwoofer not working (who can help me?) (where can i go?)

Old 02-27-2013, 08:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalibos
Being that you only run amp to run both your highs and lows, and your highs are running just fine, then that eliminates the possibility of your Amp not turning on for some reason. That just leaves just a few things that can be bad or wrong.

1. Bad sub woofer. We would have to check the resistance on the coils to confirm.

2. Loose connection between your Amp and your sub woofer. This could be easy to fix assuming access to the wire run is easy. Idk how much custom work you have had done in the car and whats needed to gain access to the wiring.

3. Blow fuse on the amp. Most amps have individual fuses per channel on the amp. You could have simply blown a fuse which happens if your running it hard or you have a short/ground somewhere causing the fuse to blow.

4. Lastly, you have a blown channel on your amp in which case you would have to replace/repair some solid state component in the amp. If that's the case, it would just be better to replace the amp itself.

Check the settings on the amp. make sure you didn't mistakenly turn off that channel or something along those lines.

v/r
James
If my sub is in a sealed box, would checking the resistance on the coils require taking the sub out of the box?

I'll try to get some pics of my set up, let me try to find the link:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/387566...ble-2d/page-3/

Thank you so much for helping me. We will keep in touch, and I will let you know well ahead of time when we can meet up.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by Kalibos' timestamp='1362026834' post='22369666
Being that you only run amp to run both your highs and lows, and your highs are running just fine, then that eliminates the possibility of your Amp not turning on for some reason. That just leaves just a few things that can be bad or wrong.

1. Bad sub woofer. We would have to check the resistance on the coils to confirm.

2. Loose connection between your Amp and your sub woofer. This could be easy to fix assuming access to the wire run is easy. Idk how much custom work you have had done in the car and whats needed to gain access to the wiring.

3. Blow fuse on the amp. Most amps have individual fuses per channel on the amp. You could have simply blown a fuse which happens if your running it hard or you have a short/ground somewhere causing the fuse to blow.

4. Lastly, you have a blown channel on your amp in which case you would have to replace/repair some solid state component in the amp. If that's the case, it would just be better to replace the amp itself.

Check the settings on the amp. make sure you didn't mistakenly turn off that channel or something along those lines.

v/r
James
If my sub is in a sealed box, would checking the resistance on the coils require taking the sub out of the box?

I'll try to get some pics of my set up, let me try to find the link:

http://www.cardomain...ible-2d/page-3/

Thank you so much for helping me. We will keep in touch, and I will let you know well ahead of time when we can meet up.
You can check the resistance from the wires leading to the AMP. However, if we get no resistance (2-8 ohms depending on the speaker) then we'll have to remove the speaker and check at the connections there to make sure it's not the speaker wire. I'm sure there is a way to remove the speaker.

v/r
James
Old 02-27-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

We can also pop/ test the speaker

Take a drill battery9-14 volts n have the leads in each hand and tap the terminals. It should move. If not blown
Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 PM

You guys are awesome, we are going to get to the bottom of this ASAP.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the ground of your amp to your car. Maybe it's loose connection.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:03 PM

I would like to post a LOUD public thanks to James ( Kalibos ) for helping me fix my stereo. It turned out my subwoofer had two problems, including a loosr wire as well as a broken internal part on the sub. After twelve years of running that sub across my old car and the s2000, it was time to retire it.

James not only fixed/improved the wiring situation, but sold me a replacement woofer at a truly gentleman's price. He also took the time to fix a broken wire that left my front right turn signal dead.

If anyone needs basic stereo/electric/wiring work done, don't hesitate to contact this fine gentleman. He explains everything as he goes along, and is very good company.

James is also the dynamat KING. I witnessed the most professional dynamt job I've ever seen on his s2000 doors. Absolutely brilliant craftsmanship.

Thanks again James!!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
I would like to post a LOUD public thanks to James ( Kalibos ) for helping me fix my stereo. It turned out my subwoofer had two problems, including a loosr wire as well as a broken internal part on the sub. After twelve years of running that sub across my old car and the s2000, it was time to retire it.

James not only fixed/improved the wiring situation, but sold me a replacement woofer at a truly gentleman's price. He also took the time to fix a broken wire that left my front right turn signal dead.

If anyone needs basic stereo/electric/wiring work done, don't hesitate to contact this fine gentleman. He explains everything as he goes along, and is very good company.

James is also the dynamat KING. I witnessed the most professional dynamt job I've ever seen on his s2000 doors. Absolutely brilliant craftsmanship.

Thanks again James!!
I'm humbled and flattered by your kind words. Pleasure was all mine. I enjoy working on cars especially with good company and over a few beers. Let me know if you have any other problems. Don't forget we still need to fine tune the audio in terms of sound quality.

v/r
James
Old 03-02-2013, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kalibos
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1362276202' post='22376114

Thanks again James!!
I'm humbled and flattered by your kind words. Pleasure was all mine. I enjoy working on cars especially with good company and over a few beers. Let me know if you have any other problems. Don't forget we still need to fine tune the audio in terms of sound quality.

v/r
James
It was certainly a fine night, and nothing better than working with someone who take pride and interest in the task at hand.

Looking forward to a quality tuning session. Before, the proportion of bass/treble was lacking bass. I like the proportion how it is now, as I don't need to max the "bass/subwoofer" levels just to get it how I want it. I'm excited to hear how my mids/highs are after you tweak them.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Two thumbs up for James. It is always great to see fellow s2ki members helping one another out in this awesome, friendly, knowledgeable community. Great work, great work. =)
Old 03-02-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Good stuff!

On another note, does anyone here use the roll hoop mounted speakers on 06+? I believe mine are currently disconnected and was curious to hear how they sound before fiddling around with them. I was told by the guys at All Pro Audio that most people disconnect them, but I feel like it might be nice when driving with the top down to get a little better sound overall.

Maybe I will give this a go tonight.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer not working (who can help me?) (where can i go?)