California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Stupid is as stupid does (long) :rolleyes:

Old 09-02-2001, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, Here is a quick rundown...

Let's say somebody went to trade in his/her S2000 on another car. The evening the deal (paperwork) was signed the person drove off with the other car, leaving behind the S2K (hold down the boos and hisses please). Over the next few days the finance dude from the dealer calls up and says c
Old 09-02-2001, 07:15 PM

dude, that is pretty messed up. I assume THE S2K Owner is someone you know. Please keep us updated on the matter. I don't understand how can a dealership be so careless?
Old 09-02-2001, 08:45 PM

Assuming that all deals were off, the dealer should be required to cough up the car, and the Owner should be required to "return" the amount paid by the dealer towards the payoff. Somehow i cant see that happening in a simple fashion.

dealers mess up all the time. a former worker of mine got a used car for over two months before the dealer could not figure out all the financing and told him he had to return it. In that period of time he had driven 4000 miles. Dealer refunded all his payments and fees. he went out and got another car from a less stupid dealer. go figure.

Hope this owner gets this settled soon. wish him luck.
Old 09-03-2001, 06:39 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is one of the most ridiculous stories I've ever heard a dealer pull!!! If the guy can't get his financing worked out, due to whatever circumstances, then the entire deal is nullified. The dealer HAS to cough up the car or its called "grand theft auto". Your friend should call the police and have a team of lawyers on the dealer's a$$.
Old 09-03-2001, 07:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something similar happened to a friend's dad a few years ago. He went to trade in his Maxima, in impeccable condition with about a million miles on it. A day or so later, he went back and told them that he wasn't doing it after all (Florida has a 3 day period in which a new leasee can change their mind), but they tried to tell him that his Maxima was already gone. He found it in their back lot.

He came back that night with his spare keys and found his car in the back ready to be loaded on a transport. He took his car, left the new car in front of the dealership, and dropped the keys to the new one with a note telling the dealer to screw themselves thru the key drop.
Old 09-03-2001, 10:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yu888
[B]Assuming that all deals were off, the dealer should be required to cough up the car, and the Owner should be required to "return" the amount paid by the dealer towards the payoff.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:06 AM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

since you have the title to the car, and the dealer doesn't have a valid contract and the did something with it like sold it to a junkyard or whatever, I would guess you can report the car as stolen since you legally can't sell property that doesn't belong to you. Then you can collect insurance money on it if they don't find it. If they do find it and the dealer has it, they are in a world of hurt. Basically it was stolen on the lot of the dealer. When you hand over the key to the dealer and not the title, they are responsible for your car if it is stolen. My friend had his truck stolen from a lot of a place that he took it in for repairs and his insurance covered it since they couldn't find it.

David
Old 09-03-2001, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Sondra S2K
...and dropped the keys to the new one with a note telling the dealer to screw themselves thru the key drop.
That's hilarious.

Wesmaster
Old 09-03-2001, 06:34 PM

I had a similar experience with a dodge dealer on a truck (although they had the truck still). I traded in a full size RAM for a small dakota. A week later they called and said they need more paperwork for the financing. They had been screwing with me the whole time, so Itold them no way and they can have their truck back.

The new truck had over 500 miles and I had signed a DMV document so I could not be sold as "New" it already had one owner (hahaha - they got what they deserved...)

Anyway, they point is that they had to return all my deposit and my truck. It was their responsibility. They allowed me to drive off without the financing finalized and they had no right to do anything else with my truck. I was told that even if they had put new tires on the truck (they were planning on it) that they would have to eat the cost.

Most dealerships are owned by larger corporations now, try to find them and let them know what happened. they have to produce your friends S2000 or they're in deep sh*t.

Sounds like they're just trying to make him go for the other car under any deal.

good luck
Old 09-04-2001, 10:42 AM

OK here is an update, The S2K owner went to the DMV and got a registration report. The S2K is still in his name, and may be liable if the "new" owner crashes it. I am really concerned now the S2K owner is really getting shafted.

Quick Reply: Stupid is as stupid does (long) :rolleyes: