California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Steering Wheel Angle Sensor

Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
I race way before Brian did.
Not sure what that has to do with Brian making fun of you. I can't speak to others however.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrianZ
Originally Posted by playground_the' timestamp='1320900579' post='21144220
its very common for the steering angle to fail on any car equipped with some kind of vehicle stability control
I'm wondering were you got this data? Is this a Honda issue? My experience says the opposite. (how many people with s2k's have had to replace the steering angle sensor?)

Originally Posted by playground_the
its very easy to figure out if the sensor is really bad or not. A Factory scanner will tell you the angle reading, if it doesnt then its junk, to me, $180 just to plug the scanner to the car is a little too much
So if you have a fault for a steering angle sensor, you check the steering angles reported by the sensor and they are correct at the time you checked, what would you do then? You still need to verify the failed component before suggesting a repair.

Bottom line is, its your choice whether you want to fix it or not, not saying nor i know how you drive, but why not, after crap loads of money Honda spent on engineering this, have it, you can always turn it of when you dont want it, but if it doesnt work you cant just turn it on.
I totally agree with you on this. If the car has the feature to help keep you in control, why not have it working!

Its common on any car for the clockspring AKA steering wheel angle sensor to go bad, not just honda. by saying "common" means if you get a code for the angle sensor, its most likely going to be the sensor itself, rather than VSA at the wheels or wheel speed sensor. And yes, if the problem is intermittent, by law, you cannot tell the customer that he/she needs to replace the part. though most shops and dealer would say that they "recomend" replace the part.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's go back to a possible root cause. Did you by happen to remove your steering wheel, replace it or unplug any yellow harness plugs? If you're looking for help, we'd need more information to help you.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTrax
Let's go back to a possible root cause. Did you by happen to remove your steering wheel, replace it or unplug any yellow harness plugs? If you're looking for help, we'd need more information to help you.
I wouldn't know in all honesty. My parents got me the car like this and I've had the vsa light on since the day they got it for me. Everything is stock though from what I can tell
Old 11-10-2011, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by BrianZ
Originally Posted by Khunnie' timestamp='1320860903' post='21142313
My VSA stayed on and I had it checked out at the dealership to see whats wrong. They said it was a steering angle sensor failure but to make sure, they need to run more tests on it and it would cost me $180 more on top for the extra tests. DTC code: 27-1
To many time I have seen the tech at the dealership do half ass scan for faults and very simple diag (takes maybe .5 hour) and then request more time to get further into it (and you already approved 1 hour). How much have you spent so far? You need to ask what have they done for this money? What are the "more tests" they want to run and why? You might want to inquire about the knowledge the tech has about these systems.

The Tech may know what their doing, and want to run more tests to make sure its the sensor and not a wiring or control module that is having a problem.
I've had a preliminary check at Southbay Honda but they wanted to charge me more. I have the papers stating it is a steering wheel angle sensor failure but they said they need to run more tests. The person who helped me said it seems it most likely be an alignment problem but they're not sure until they run more tests on it; of which, requires a substantial fee...
Old 11-11-2011, 06:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you going to the meet tonight?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 AM

Sorry but I'm not in town for the next two days
Old 11-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianZ' timestamp='1320940256' post='21145248
[quote name='playground_the' timestamp='1320900579' post='21144220']
its very common for the steering angle to fail on any car equipped with some kind of vehicle stability control
I'm wondering were you got this data? Is this a Honda issue? My experience says the opposite. (how many people with s2k's have had to replace the steering angle sensor?)

its very easy to figure out if the sensor is really bad or not. A Factory scanner will tell you the angle reading, if it doesnt then its junk, to me, $180 just to plug the scanner to the car is a little too much
So if you have a fault for a steering angle sensor, you check the steering angles reported by the sensor and they are correct at the time you checked, what would you do then? You still need to verify the failed component before suggesting a repair.

Bottom line is, its your choice whether you want to fix it or not, not saying nor i know how you drive, but why not, after crap loads of money Honda spent on engineering this, have it, you can always turn it of when you dont want it, but if it doesnt work you cant just turn it on.
I totally agree with you on this. If the car has the feature to help keep you in control, why not have it working!

Its common on any car for the clockspring AKA steering wheel angle sensor to go bad, not just honda. by saying "common" means if you get a code for the angle sensor, its most likely going to be the sensor itself, rather than VSA at the wheels or wheel speed sensor. And yes, if the problem is intermittent, by law, you cannot tell the customer that he/she needs to replace the part. though most shops and dealer would say that they "recomend" replace the part.
[/quote]
What failure rate per 1000 units is required to be considered common?

For example, in many industries a double digit percentage failure rate is required before it's considered common. If 1 in 1000 fail this is considered to be low. EI 0.1% likely. Even 10 in 1000 or 1% failure rate my be thought to be uncommon, but move from rare/unlikely to not outside the possibility for regular failure.

A across the entire production line error of 5-6% got Honda in hot water with their Tach/Speedo's being off and over billing. However since this was an average error rate it would suggest some Tach/Speedo's were off much more than that. Generally accepted error rate for a Tach/Speedo is +/- 3%.

So I would suggest for you to consider this common, of the 70K s2000 within the USA we should see >2100 cars needing replacement of their sensor prior to it becoming common.

What is common is some soft top tears on certain years.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:05 PM

On the cars I work on the most common repair for a steering angle sensor fault is an alignment and run basic settings on the angle sensor. The second most common thing I find is some sort of fluid (armor all, coffee, soda) on the optical sensor (if the sensor on the clock spring, a lot of cars in the rack itself now). Of course if I just replaced the sensor it would "fix" the car too, the VSA, ESP or VDC light would be off.