California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Steering Wheel Angle Sensor

Old 11-09-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
Are people really recommending running without VSA (or does it still work)?
Vsa is for chumps. Dangers to running with it Off include more fun and random fires.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its very common for the steering angle to fail on any car equipped with some kind of vehicle stability control, though if you feel comfortable driving with out one, then just ignore the light, but if you decided to let your car save your life in case your right foot is not "VSAing" then fix it.

its very easy to figure out if the sensor is really bad or not. A Factory scanner will tell you the angle reading, if it doesnt then its junk, to me, $180 just to plug the scanner to the car is a little too much, I just looked through, my Snap-on scanner, and it does have functional tests for VSA, but im not sure if that would be enough to tell me that the steering angle is junk. PM me if you want to try my scanner, ill try to help you for nothing.

Bottom line is, its your choice whether you want to fix it or not, not saying nor i know how you drive, but why not, after crap loads of money Honda spent on engineering this, have it, you can always turn it of when you dont want it, but if it doesnt work you cant just turn it on.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-10-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by playground_the
its very common for the steering angle to fail on any car equipped with some kind of vehicle stability control
I'm wondering were you got this data? Is this a Honda issue? My experience says the opposite. (how many people with s2k's have had to replace the steering angle sensor?)

its very easy to figure out if the sensor is really bad or not. A Factory scanner will tell you the angle reading, if it doesnt then its junk, to me, $180 just to plug the scanner to the car is a little too much
So if you have a fault for a steering angle sensor, you check the steering angles reported by the sensor and they are correct at the time you checked, what would you do then? You still need to verify the failed component before suggesting a repair.

Bottom line is, its your choice whether you want to fix it or not, not saying nor i know how you drive, but why not, after crap loads of money Honda spent on engineering this, have it, you can always turn it of when you dont want it, but if it doesnt work you cant just turn it on.
I totally agree with you on this. If the car has the feature to help keep you in control, why not have it working!
Old 11-10-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Khunnie
My VSA stayed on and I had it checked out at the dealership to see whats wrong. They said it was a steering angle sensor failure but to make sure, they need to run more tests on it and it would cost me $180 more on top for the extra tests. DTC code: 27-1
To many time I have seen the tech at the dealership do half ass scan for faults and very simple diag (takes maybe .5 hour) and then request more time to get further into it (and you already approved 1 hour). How much have you spent so far? You need to ask what have they done for this money? What are the "more tests" they want to run and why? You might want to inquire about the knowledge the tech has about these systems.

The Tech may know what their doing, and want to run more tests to make sure its the sensor and not a wiring or control module that is having a problem.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:13 AM

VSA idea is pretty cool. However, I think the implementation here is not as good. I tried it on the track, and it was intrusive. I was much better running without it. I'm a big proponent on electronic stuff. I was one of the few who runs power steering and ABS in the race car while all other racers were pointing finger and making fun of me. That's including you, Brian

However, my experience told me, the older ABS system was not good enough to use for track, like the one on the NSX. VSA falls in this category at the moment.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Andrie, it's VSA (vehicle stability assist) not (help you go faster at the track assist)

It's useless at the track but it can be useful for people on the street that may need that extra little help in certain situations.

If it helps keep more S2000's on the street then I'm all for it.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
VSA idea is pretty cool. However, I think the implementation here is not as good. I tried it on the track, and it was intrusive. I was much better running without it. I'm a big proponent on electronic stuff. I was one of the few who runs power steering and ABS in the race car while all other racers were pointing finger and making fun of me. That's including you, Brian
I find that hard to believe, as Brian has always ran ABS on his race cars.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:49 AM

I race way before Brian did.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Andrie
When have I made fun of you for power steering or ABS? I LOVE ABS on the track, I have yet to flat spot a tire .
heck I even converted my race car from the old 3 channel system to the newer 4 channel system

VSA = save your ass on the street

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Angle Sensor