California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

To Square or not to Square?

Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RylisPro
It's the one thing that really sucks about a CR, you can't just easily modify it like a base model
Awww poor thing.
Wanna trade me for my salvaged base model?
Salvages are VERY easy to modify.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RylisPro
Originally Posted by Fujin' timestamp='1332740349' post='21543369
Ariel why not just buy these as a set of track tires/ wheels and then switch back and forth as needed?
That is my thoughts exactly as I would be keeping my stock wheels
There is no point of getting new wheels in staggered cuz my stocks ones are already staggered
Everyone knows the benefits of going square so I wont list them
also going square gives me the opportunity to learn how to drive that setup

The only downside I see is the risk of damaging my CR fenders
I know others run the setup with no problems but the risk is still there
To me the only proper way to do it is to slap on some other wider fenders whenever I use these wheels
which just adds to the costs greatly

It's the one thing that really sucks about a CR, you can't just easily modify it like a base model
Oh well I guess I better start saving up my money
im pretty sure youll be fine with the fenders on the tirerack setup, people track on them (Mac, Simon) and have had no problems.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:50 AM

Really?! It's a car, it's meant to be driven, your fenders are no more special than a Yugo. Ya need to get over this CR is holier than thou and modify the car as you see fit. If you want to run a square setup run one.

The only thing I would recommend is a proper setup to run square will be different than one for a staggered car. Your going to have quite a bit more front grip than normal so you need to adjust the car accordingly.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:07 AM

^^ agreed. I hate to say it,Ariel but your CR fenders are no better than our "base" model s2000's. In fact if you go to honda and order a fender it is the same model# as the base model and it will only cost you $200 per fender.As far as running a Squared setup I personally like it better but I do agree with the other person that said it will look odd without the car being lowered. I do feel that the steering input is A little less sharp than with the staggerd setup but more predictable.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a black CR in socal that runs similar wheels all around and it looks fine
I would rather have the suspension travel

Haha, I meant I was saving up my money to buy the wheels
Looks like I'm gonna start modifying my Yugo
Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 AM

Do you guys recommend running 255 square for a daily? On a stock ap2. If you lower it do you need to roll fender? Wont see track time
Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 AM

No and No.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's driveways that you'll have to be concerned with. The track isn't usually a problem unless you're counter steering and roll up on a berm. I have to be careful with driveways otherwise I could easily get a free ugly fender pull.

You'll want to bend your fender tabs up a bit and be sure to use a blow dryer or if you feel comfortable with a heat gun you can use that.

One tab is here

The other is here

Just leave the clip off after bending the tab up

What a bent tab looks like, I bent mine as far as I thought necessary and it's worked so far. Depending on ride height, camber, spring and roll rate you might need more or less.

Go up a steep driveway with your wheels straight and the car at an angle with one front wheel and one back wheel in the gutter (if the driveway is on your passengers side then you'll want your front drivers side and rear passengers side tire in the gutter which will be the lowest point and the road and driveway being the highest points)
If your wheel looks like this then you'll need to be careful, you can have a buddy turn the wheel to the right to see how far of an angle you can get away with before the tire starts pushing the fender out.

Tires will change things a bit so if you checked this with worn tires and you barely clear then new tires may cause problems.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM

Thanks Mac for all the pics
Oh and for letting me ride with you back on march 4th at thunderhill
I learned a lot and really appreciate it
Old 03-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You're welcome although I don't recal lol my mind was pretty scattered with everything that was going on that day

Quick Reply: To Square or not to Square?