California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

A spirited drive?

Old 12-01-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are no real requirement for this event. For beginner all you need to know is,
1. Your car in good working condition with no leaks
2. have enough brake pads
3. pretty fresh brake fluids
4. more than half of tire tread
5. Bring some water and some good jacket to withstand really cold weather.
6. Good learning attitude and fun!

No need for race pads or race tires or racing brake fluids. For beginners, you won't be able to overworked the street ones in this cold weather.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Andrie
There are no real requirement for this event. For beginner all you need to know is,

No need for race pads or race tires or racing brake fluids. For beginners, you won't be able to overworked the street ones in this cold weather.
Don't I need a helmet? Is there a specific kind? I'm always up to date with mg fluids
I've got a set of those Toyo's that I wanna put to use, will it make a difference?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:09 PM

Yes, you need a helmet. If you never been to the track before, I suggest using street tires. Easier to handle and get away if you get in trouble.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Originally Posted by Andrie' timestamp='1322738793' post='21200705
How about doing some track day instead? Spirited drive is fun and all, but track day is much more funner. I always tell people that to be careful doing their first track day. Not because it is dangerous. Rather it is so addictive, it is worse than crack.

One is coming up soon
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/911...-sun-dec-11th/
Drift + Grip = muddy track. No thanks.
The drift guys keep it clean, mainly because the full track drift group are more advanced. And if anything ever did happen, time is docked from the drift group for cleaning - it has never affected the grip groups.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tunerplayground
Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1322772895' post='21202352
[quote name='Andrie' timestamp='1322738793' post='21200705']
How about doing some track day instead? Spirited drive is fun and all, but track day is much more funner. I always tell people that to be careful doing their first track day. Not because it is dangerous. Rather it is so addictive, it is worse than crack.

One is coming up soon
The drift guys keep it clean, mainly because the full track drift group are more advanced. And if anything ever did happen, time is docked from the drift group for cleaning - it has never affected the grip groups.
[/quote]
That's good to hear. My prior experiences with mixing in drift guys was less then stellar.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Originally Posted by tunerplayground' timestamp='1322843538' post='21204659
[quote name='Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1322772895' post='21202352']
[quote name='Andrie' timestamp='1322738793' post='21200705']

One is coming up soon
[/quote]
That's good to hear. My prior experiences with mixing in drift guys was less then stellar.
[/quote]
I wouldn't have signed up if that was the case for this one. Track should be pretty clean. Plus it's a sunny day. That means track > snowboarding for me he he
Old 12-04-2011, 01:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublade
Anyone still up for a nice drive up highway 9 in saratoga? or a chill cruise/photoshoot through calaveras in milpitas? I heard licks observatory in mt hamiliton in san jose is a good photoshoot area (:
Nice to see you at the vista point tonight, unexpectedly! Hope your GF didn't get sick from the twisties!
Old 12-05-2011, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same applies to the mountains! Track is fun and all. But I have a fear of hitting other drives...altough that is alot better than hitting a tree or falling a cliff.
But its just the thrill and excitement of Japan style racing. The mountains the corners, the hairpins, the sound of our engines roaring through the mountains. I feel incline and decline makes me shiver more than a paved road course. Driving a track, almost like running a track and field course. you see the same thing over and over in a circle, but otherwise a mountain course it feels different all the time even though you go the same course. you just cant "see" around the corner.

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by Doublade' timestamp='1321876493' post='21173653
Anyone still up for a nice drive up highway 9 in saratoga? or a chill cruise/photoshoot through calaveras in milpitas? I heard licks observatory in mt hamiliton in san jose is a good photoshoot area (:
Nice to see you at the vista point tonight, unexpectedly! Hope your GF didn't get sick from the twisties!
Yeah everything was all good, I just did a quick donut at vista point before heading to skyline, hence why she was queasy!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Doublade
Same applies to the mountains! Track is fun and all. But I have a fear of hitting other drives...altough that is alot better than hitting a tree or falling a cliff.
But its just the thrill and excitement of Japan style racing. The mountains the corners, the hairpins, the sound of our engines roaring through the mountains. I feel incline and decline makes me shiver more than a paved road course. Driving a track, almost like running a track and field course. you see the same thing over and over in a circle, but otherwise a mountain course it feels different all the time even though you go the same course. you just cant "see" around the corner
With this statement I can comfortably say you have never been to the track especially in northern California. Our tracks have lots of elevation changes. In some cases are more than the one you can find on mountain roads. Road regulation only allows 7% grade. This doesn't apply to track. Same with blind corners. Almost every track in California features at least one blind corner.

Almost all car enthusiast driven on mountain run before. I still do them from time to time. It is fun and exciting. However, given the choice of track or mountain run, i choose track everytime. The biggest deterrent to me is getting ticket and have my insurance rate jacked up. One instance of that and it easily pay for one track day. Not to mention the fun on track day is easily double the fun on mountain run. In any case, I recommend you to come, watch, bring your helmet! You can easily get rides in passenger seat to judge it for yourself. And it doesn't cost you anything!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublade' timestamp='1323084820' post='21211146
But its just the thrill and excitement of Japan style racing. The mountains the corners, the hairpins, the sound of our engines roaring through the mountains. I feel incline and decline makes me shiver more than a paved road course. Driving a track, almost like running a track and field course. you see the same thing over and over in a circle, but otherwise a mountain course it feels different all the time even though you go the same course. you just cant "see" around the corner
With this statement I can comfortably say you have never been to the track especially in northern California. Our tracks have lots of elevation changes. In some cases are more than the one you can find on mountain roads. Road regulation only allows 7% grade. This doesn't apply to track. Same with blind corners. Almost every track in California features at least one blind corner.

Almost all car enthusiast driven on mountain run before. I still do them from time to time. It is fun and exciting. However, given the choice of track or mountain run, i choose track everytime. The biggest deterrent to me is getting ticket and have my insurance rate jacked up. One instance of that and it easily pay for one track day. Not to mention the fun on track day is easily double the fun on mountain run. In any case, I recommend you to come, watch, bring your helmet! You can easily get rides in passenger seat to judge it for yourself. And it doesn't cost you anything!
I happen to live smack dab in the middle of the mountains. While the urban dwellers must drive to the mountains to have fun, I'm usually just on my way home, and it's always the scenic route.

Quick Reply: A spirited drive?