California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Speeding ticket, I-80 Pinole

Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket, I-80 Pinole

I received a speed ticket last month, CVC 22349(a) Exceed max spd of 65. CHP officer wrote on citation I was approximately 81MPH and checked the box Radar.
I am given three choices to clear this citation.
1. Pay $399
2. Appear in court, Superior Court Richmond
3. Attend traffic school and pay a fee of $451

I know I was going over 65MPH but I don't believe I was driving 81MPH. I am eligible to attend traffic school since I haven't been cited for over 18 months. I would like to appear in court to fight this ticket. This is new to me, any suggestions on how to approach this in court, what to expect?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if they got you on radar, then they got you on radar..
Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pay the fee and attend the traffic school. If you don't attend the school you will have a point on your DL.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
my boy got caught on the radar... went to court... and the cop came fully prepped with the day the radar was calibrated.. next date for calibration... all the paperwork and he had everything written down about the car and everything... Judge asked my boy if he'd like to say anything and he just sat his ass down. lol. pay for traffic school.

edit:
if you use the online course use: GoToTrafficSchool.com

my referral code is: X3B-8CB-KEB

Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by iDashX
Originally Posted by tkeyyy' timestamp='1329198943' post='21412444
my boy got caught on the radar... went to court... and the cop came fully prepped with the day the radar was calibrated.. next date for calibration... all the paperwork and he had everything written down about the car and everything... Judge asked my boy if he'd like to say anything and he just sat his ass down. lol. pay for traffic school.

edit:
if you use the online course use: GoToTrafficSchool.com

my referral code is: X3B-8CB-KEB

He also has a chance to win if the cop doesn't show up or doesn't come prepared. Usually if you don't win then ask the judge for a lower bail amount. Tell the judge you can't afford to pay the full amount. Most likely the judge will lessen the amount and let you go to traffic school.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 PM

If you go to court to fight it, it's up to the judges discression if he'll allow you to go to traffic school or not. 81 in a 65, pay the fine and go to do traffic school. 16 over is hard to beat. Plus, it's always known that once you see or hear the sirens your foot comes off the gas, once you look at the speedo after getting lit up, you're going slower than you're original speed. Don't see how you can beat this in a speed trap area
Old 02-13-2012, 11:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If he is 'eligible' for traffic school, can the judge deny that through the court?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
If he is 'eligible' for traffic school, can the judge deny that through the court?
Yes, because the judge will have your driving history in front of him. Depending on how serious the ticket is and how bad/good your driving history is, you're essentially leaving your right to traffic school up to the judge. And even my insurance agent said if you contest a traffic ticket, you're basically losing a given for traffic school if eligible.

16 mph over the limit is a tough one. I wouldn't fight it, especially if caught on radar. I've fought speed traps on HWY 5 where they used airplanes to register my speed. That's illegal, because you can't use markers to judge speed. The officer who pulled me over said his boss up in the air caught me doing so and so miles per hour. I knew the rule of getting speeds through aircraft. I told him, "isnt that illegal using speed markers?". His reply, "I'm just the messenger". So unless this 16 mph over ticket has any irregularities that can pin point an officer is wrong, take traffic school.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rydelow
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1329206677' post='21412694
Yes, because the judge will have your driving history in front of him. Depending on how serious the ticket is and how bad/good your driving history is, you're essentially leaving your right to traffic school up to the judge. And even my insurance agent said if you contest a traffic ticket, you're basically losing a given for traffic school if eligible.
Good info!

The other factor here to consider is the time you might have to take off work, the travel, etc. In the end you might end up not benefiting, even if the ticket is reduced. It might not be reduced enough to equal out the expense of attending court in the first place.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rydelow
I've fought speed traps on HWY 5 where they used airplanes to register my speed. That's illegal, because you can't use markers to judge speed.
Yep. That constitutes a speed trap.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket, I-80 Pinole