California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Speeding Ticket

Old 12-28-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalibos
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1356733039' post='22234583
You need to treat a radar detector like a BVR device and learn to start scanning properly. 10 years without a speeding ticket and no radar detector. Got one last year, and it's helped for cops beyond visual range, but most of the time I see the cop before he flicks on radar or laser.

Recently on a trip back from the bay it worked well at night, but frankly I'm not sold on the super expensive ones. Most of the time the radar goes off, and I mean most of the time, you don't need the warning, you already see the cop. If you don't see the cop you need to start scanning, you cannot 'buy' the skill here.
Your definitely right and I'm typically good with spotting cops. I just got caught slipping this time around. It was late and at night time. Either way I don't think a radar detector will be a bad investment as a back up.

v/r
James
Yeah not a bad investment. I wouldn't drop $1k into a radar + laser jammer setup. I'd spend $200-250 on a decent radar detector. I spent $140, it works well but no way to turn K band off - after purchase I wish I'd bought more. I couldn't justify the $500. I speed a lot and on long road trips it's a nice 'extra' to have. It typically freaks out the women when it goes off - may or may not be a factor for you.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
I speed a lot
Old 12-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the early warning EW-202 and its a cheapie but its accurate enough. It catches most if not ALL CHP. Then again, I've slowed down since my last ticket so I don't really pay attention to it anymore.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyushin
Ahh the meter maid caught and scammed you. Radar detectors take some getting used to to use them effectively. They are only a warning to slow down so the pigs cant catch you for dought money. Cops are dousche, yes caught them in their element and sounds like you admitted guilt by giving the pig an explanation. Talking to cops is a bad idea because the only reason they ask you questions is to trick you into admitting guilt. You fall for this trap and they write on the back of ticket "admission of guilt" so you have really crappy odds of fighting it.\

When a cop lights me up, i immediately pull over and turn the car off, roll down the windows, put the keys on the dash and then put my hands out the window where the cop can see them with my license, insurance and registration in hand. When the stupid piggy starts to ask me dumb questions, I tell them simply that the incident is being recorded and I invoke my right to remain silent. Do just that, most will get pissed because then you wont fall for their bullshit gotcha games and you have a much better odds in court. I havnt had a ticket stick yet with my methods, sure ive been to court a handfull of times but its always dismissed.

We all know speed limits are for safety and the pigs have no financial incentive ya? Quotas and chips on the shoulder are the run of the mill.

Get a detector and learn to use it effectively, lazer jammers are good too because CHP LOVE lidar.
Your attitude is the BEST possible way to get a ticket. I have found that most police officers are totally cool the moment they realize these things after pulling someone over:

1. The person is not a threat to their life. (many people they deal with on a day to day basis are)

2. The person isn't a douche bag that thinks the police are out to get them. (they aren't, they have lives themselves)

I have gotten off with so many warnings by just simply treating the police officer like a human being, and not wasting their time. Playing dumb to a minor offense like speeding is almost a certain way to get handed a ticket. I tend to avoid doing illegal things in obvious places like freeways/etc. But I have been pulled over in 35mph zones doing MUCH more than double that, and with basic common sense and being direct with the officer, got nothing more than a verbal warning. Honestly I am amazed at the police i have encountered in the mountains are very cool and respectful if you don't act like a douche bag.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalibos
I'm still going to court to fight the ticket. No reason not to imho. I have a few tricks up my sleeve and maybe I can at the minimum dropped to a lower speeding ticket. Thanks..

v/r
James
There's a lot of reasons not to fight a ticket that you have no reason not to pay. Like the ability to still go to traffic school, or the ability to have the fine reduced when the judge denies you.

Plead no contest. Ask for a fine reduction and traffic school. Remove the violation. Move on with life.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Originally Posted by Kalibos' timestamp='1356725097' post='22234354
I'm still going to court to fight the ticket. No reason not to imho. I have a few tricks up my sleeve and maybe I can at the minimum dropped to a lower speeding ticket. Thanks..

v/r
James
There's a lot of reasons not to fight a ticket that you have no reason not to pay. Like the ability to still go to traffic school, or the ability to have the fine reduced when the judge denies you.

Plead no contest. Ask for a fine reduction and traffic school. Remove the violation. Move on with life.
I agree. That's what I always do. Half off or more on the ticket and online traffic school.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1356740936' post='22234774
I speed a lot
hahaha..... I saw this response coming.

1st choice: Go to traffic school if at all possible! You can quickly calculate the financial benefit.

2nd choice: If you have vacation/leave time available might as well use it and get the court dates pushed out as much as possible and hope for a scheduling conflict with the officer. About 50% of my tickets have been dismissed when the officer didn't show up to the final court date.(I've only done this when ive been to traffic school too recently and couldn't go again.)
Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would go to court and hope that the cop doesn't show up. That worked for me when I got pulled over during one late night. Assuming that the officer worked graves, I just made my court time as early as possible.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you guys are pretty much telling him to give up? F*ck that. If your record isn't too bad I would suggest trial by declaration. I oould always send you a copy of mine that I used back in May. You would just have to flip around words, VC's and dates etc. I even used google satellite pictures showing how everything happened.

One of two things happened. Either I made a good a case and beat the LEO's statement or he just didn't respond to the Trial by declaration. The reason he wouldn't respond to it is probably because CHP do not get paid to do that paperwork. They do however get paid to go to court. Even if you lost the TBD you could always appeal it and ask to go to trial so that you have a chance to plead your case. If you see the LEO there then ask for traffic school, if you don't plead not guilty.... Just BE SURE!!! to ask for the possibility of traffic school in the event you do get found guilty through TBD that way if you do set yourself up to appeal it then they have record of you already asking for traffic school and you are more likely to get granted that right if you are found guilty.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
So you guys are pretty much telling him to give up? F*ck that. If your record isn't too bad I would suggest trial by declaration. I oould always send you a copy of mine that I used back in May. You would just have to flip around words, VC's and dates etc. I even used google satellite pictures showing how everything happened.

One of two things happened. Either I made a good a case and beat the LEO's statement or he just didn't respond to the Trial by declaration. The reason he wouldn't respond to it is probably because CHP do not get paid to do that paperwork. They do however get paid to go to court. Even if you lost the TBD you could always appeal it and ask to go to trial so that you have a chance to plead your case. If you see the LEO there then ask for traffic school, if you don't plead not guilty.... Just BE SURE!!! to ask for the possibility of traffic school in the event you do get found guilty through TBD that way if you do set yourself up to appeal it then they have record of you already asking for traffic school and you are more likely to get granted that right if you are found guilty.
I'm not sure anyone has said 'don't fight it' just how best to go around it.

Depending on what your time is worth, going to court might be a zero sum game. That's all.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket