California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

speaker repair

Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default speaker repair

anyone know of a good speaker repair person? i'm looking into repairing my PPI 356CS component speaker. i believe the tinsel lead is not connected properly leading to inconsistent to no sound.

i'd attempt to repair it myself but i cannot see the lead and have no clue on how to take it apart.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure it's not just blown or possibly a loose connection somewhere in your car?
Old 09-28-2011, 12:35 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never heard of a speaker repair person. If its reasonably new maybe try to contact PPI for a manufacturer's defect warranty. If its older, and didn't cost you too much, consider buying a new speaker and consider it an upgrade.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
are you sure it's not just blown or possibly a loose connection somewhere in your car?

it's definitely a loose connection within the speaker. when i pull out the speaker and push down on the cone, it'll produce sound. google searches suggest there is a bad connection with the tinsel leads. it's the wire that hook up the power to the actual cone itself.

Originally Posted by eklipz98
I've never heard of a speaker repair person. If its reasonably new maybe try to contact PPI for a manufacturer's defect warranty. If its older, and didn't cost you too much, consider buying a new speaker and consider it an upgrade.
PPI said it's out of warranty b/c it's been over 2 years which is understandable. i responded telling them it's a tinsel lead and hope they can suggest that they can fix it for minimal costs. the reason i want to repair the speaker is because i absolutely fell in love with the sound and have no idea what speakers produce comparable sounds. if anyone has a set of 356CSs and can suggest an alternative, i would definitely look into upgrading.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mr5parkle
Originally Posted by tkeyyy' timestamp='1317193644' post='21015249

it's definitely a loose connection within the speaker. when i pull out the speaker and push down on the cone, it'll produce sound. google searches suggest there is a bad connection with the tinsel leads. it's the wire that hook up the power to the actual cone itself.

PPI said it's out of warranty b/c it's been over 2 years which is understandable. i responded telling them it's a tinsel lead and hope they can suggest that they can fix it for minimal costs. the reason i want to repair the speaker is because i absolutely fell in love with the sound and have no idea what speakers produce comparable sounds. if anyone has a set of 356CSs and can suggest an alternative, i would definitely look into upgrading.
I'm using a PPI amp to push Focal speakers. I've had Focal speakers and have really enjoyed them in the last two cars I've had. I am in no position to compare them to a properly functioning PPI speaker however. All I can suggest is sitting in a bunch of s2000s with upgraded door speakers and trying to find a sound that you like, then basing your purchase on that experience.

Good luck in your search, and report back about whether you are able to get a successful repair.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ohhhhhhhh.... haven't heard of anyone that can repair speakers
Old 09-28-2011, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by mr5parkle' timestamp='1317229145' post='21016778
[quote name='tkeyyy' timestamp='1317193644' post='21015249']

I'm using a PPI amp to push Focal speakers. I've had Focal speakers and have really enjoyed them in the last two cars I've had. I am in no position to compare them to a properly functioning PPI speaker however. All I can suggest is sitting in a bunch of s2000s with upgraded door speakers and trying to find a sound that you like, then basing your purchase on that experience.

Good luck in your search, and report back about whether you are able to get a successful repair.
[/quote]

could you share what speakers you have? and in your opinion, provide enough bass without the need for a sub?