California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Someone hit my car & left a dent while it was park

Old 06-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tekstar,Jun 14 2009, 08:04 PM
when you call in for a hit and run to your insurance, do they require a police report?

same thing happened to me on friday, so i feel your pain!
It depends on your insurance's policy, it also depends if it was a hit and run while you were in the car and have a witness or you can call yourself as a witness. If you didn't see it and there were no witnesses your insurance might recommend you get a police report -- but all the police will tell you to do is fill out a counter report yourself and make a photocopy of it for you.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:10 AM

OUCH! there's no easier way than to call your insurance agent

But, with dan, depends alot on your policy though.

Dont forget to look for the culprit!
Old 06-15-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eCrS2k,Jun 14 2009, 04:59 PM
your insurance will not go up a penny soooo YES report to insurance and go look for a car with a scratched up front or rear bumper around your friends house
+1 just be sure to mention to them that it happened while your car was parked.

if the car was moving and you got into a hit and run, your insurance goes up. if its parked and someone hits and runs, your insurance will not go up.

as for how much it'll cost, plenty of body shops give free estimates so you should go ask around, i think we have some bay area recommended body shops somewhere
Old 06-15-2009, 12:15 PM

I went to Pio Pro Autobody and he suggested that I just fix the door by bondo and color match which will cost 1300.00 and I also went to EMC and they said I should replace the door panel because it will be hard to get it perfect and matching and there will be a lot of bondo which isn't good. There estimate is 2700.00. Right now I'm not sure what I want to do. I'm still waiting for my parents to come out to discuss my options and I still have to call the insurance agent.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 PM

don't repair it with bondo. its not gonna be the same. get it replaced
Old 06-15-2009, 12:57 PM

My old Prelude got hit while it was parked...the car was considered a total loss.

My insurance didn't go up. Well, the agent assured me it wouldn't go up. I got money from my insurance company and bought an S2k. Went with another insurance company (from Progressive to Geico) and overall insurance wound up cheaper!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:57 PM

It should be 100% safe to call your insurance company and talk to an agent. Just straight up ask them.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:03 PM

your insurance should never go up if "you are not at fault"

if it did, you need to change insurer
Old 06-15-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

talk to your insurance agent, if they say they can't talk about something put it in hypothetical. I did when my insurance agent said she couldn't speak of something.

for the damages, take it directly to the honda dealership and get the highest quote/estimate you can get. get the CASH payout option (assuming that your car has no liens on the title) and buy a used door from a wrecker. Ask your insurance agent, that is an absolutely acceptable option.

When my seats got stolen earlier this year from my other S2k, I had the option of getting my seats/top replaced or the cash option of 6995$ with a 1000$ deductible. I took the cash and sold the car as-is. I asked my agent and they said they don't care what I do with the money afterwards.

I hope that helps, its kinda similar in the sense that the car was parked when I got robbed. I'm insured through Progressive for all of my cars.

Oh and they do prefer that you get a police report, but it's not absolutely necessary. It depends on your insurance agent and what they want to keep as far as records of theft/hit+run in your area. When I provided the police report, my agent informed me that my zipcode has been a hotspot for theft for the past couple of years. I'm assuming from it being a good drop-off point right by a secluded public park. Funny how theft is high here, yet the most violent thing in this part of the city is probably cancer.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by dagle,Jun 15 2009, 03:14 PM
talk to your insurance agent, if they say they can't talk about something put it in hypothetical. I did when my insurance agent said she couldn't speak of something.

for the damages, take it directly to the honda dealership and get the highest quote/estimate you can get. get the CASH payout option (assuming that your car has no liens on the title) and buy a used door from a wrecker. Ask your insurance agent, that is an absolutely acceptable option.

When my seats got stolen earlier this year from my other S2k, I had the option of getting my seats/top replaced or the cash option of 6995$ with a 1000$ deductible. I took the cash and sold the car as-is. I asked my agent and they said they don't care what I do with the money afterwards.

I hope that helps, its kinda similar in the sense that the car was parked when I got robbed. I'm insured through Progressive for all of my cars.

Oh and they do prefer that you get a police report, but it's not absolutely necessary. It depends on your insurance agent and what they want to keep as far as records of theft/hit+run in your area. When I provided the police report, my agent informed me that my zipcode has been a hotspot for theft for the past couple of years. I'm assuming from it being a good drop-off point right by a secluded public park. Funny how theft is high here, yet the most violent thing in this part of the city is probably cancer.
I called my insurance agent and I told him everything that happened, and he said he will get back with me by tomorrow. He has to file the report and then see what body shops I can take my car too. I guess its a bad thing since I can only take it to their specific shop and I might not be able to get my door replace.

I will take it to Honda tomorrow anyway and see what their estimate is.

Quick Reply: Someone hit my car & left a dent while it was park