California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

soft top rip

Old 05-30-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My .02...

I had a very small tear in mine and fixed it with a patch from another member who was cutting up old soft tops for patches. Got them quick, no problems and glued the patch on from the inside. Worked great, went on clear, and for good measure, I put a bit on the outside as well.

I used this Loctite Stik n Seal: http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/6/3...Conditions.htm

Saw it on Amazon but I personally bought it from OSH. I tried this because the other glue I had (forget the name) lost all adhesion the first day it got warm. So far it's holding up well.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:52 AM

quick update...i finally got around to fixing this had the top sewn and i actually used the loctite waterproof vinyl sealant from amazon since i was certain that it squeezed out clearly. so far so good with the results...have put the top up and down a few times and it doesn't seem like it didn't seal properly. i guess time will tell on whether or not it lasts the test of time and weather
Old 06-20-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by ixlr8' timestamp='1338248833' post='21735477
BEST SOLUTION FOR HOLES/TEARS IN S2000 TOPS. My apologies if this has been mentioned before, but this is the best and easiest solution I have found bar none. I see a lot of people suggesting goop and other types of glue to affix a patch. The problem is S2000 tops being made of vinyl tend to secrete an oily solution when exposed to sunlight which tends to break the glue's bond. I use a product known as Tear-Aid Type B (available on Amazon) which is made just for this problem with vinyl. It is a clear tape 3" wide and available in rolls or small patch kits. Simply clean the area that you want to patch with some rubbing alcohol(on the interior side of the top) and cut the patch to the length you need. Press the patch on and wait a day before putting too much stress on the area so it can reach full strength (though I have applied some patches and the owner used the top within an hour and it held fine). I also cut strips and apply them to all the normal problem areas in addition to the places where holes are actually appearing. Just make sure you get the Type B not the Type A Tear-Aid as only the Type B will stay affixed to the vinyl long term. Trust me this stuff is worth trying.
1st post. Do you work for Tear-Air?
No good deed goes unpunished. No, I do not work for Tear-Aid. I also don't comment on forums often, but in this case I had many people tell me they had tried everything suggested online and had found no good solution. I apologize but I thought I could help by suggesting a quick fix that anyone could do and holds up great even when the car is left out in the sun all the time. This is a fix I have tested over the long term on numerous S2000's and it works. It is also an easy way to reinforce the areas that tend to get tears in them. It goes without saying that it is also a good idea of course to replace the straps and sand down any rough edges on the mechanism. It's less than $10 for the small patch kit, try it, you can always send it back to Amazon if you're not pleased, but I'm betting you won't.
The following users liked this post:
SusyTS2000 (05-08-2019)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:44 AM

I've started to notice my top is ripping as well, any updates on what adhesive works?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:55 AM

I used Loctite vinyl adhesive after sewing my tear up. So far so good...top down plenty of other times (after the modifry strap fix) and drove in rain a few times without leaks.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 PM

Long story short, +1 for the modifry straps.

I had this rip happen to me last year. I tried fixing it a number of ways: patches, tape, sewing. The top would rip through the repair within a few days. It turned out that the support bar elastic straps were putting stress on that spot. I did the modifry strap fix, and after that the patch I used held. Still holding 6 months later when previous fixes barely lasted a week. (My current patch is Gorilla Tape, which sounds ghetto but it actually works very well and is much easier to apply than the more purpose-made patches.)

Here's the modifry strap fix:
http://modifry.com/products/ctf/details.htm

So long as the support bar straps are too loose, you will NEVER be able to patch the hole. Otherwise the tension will destroy the patch very quickly. You have to fix the tension problem first, and only then patch the hole.