California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Soft top repairs

Old 03-12-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad I'm out of warranty
Old 03-12-2014, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purchase a Robbins replacent top ($500) and tackle the softop install. It's pretty straight forward, I replaced a friends top this past saturday at a techday I hosted. Make sure you sand the metal bars that s4play mentioned above. Btw, took me and my friend about 6hrs to replace the top.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OZS2KCA
Purchase a Robbins replacent top ($500) and tackle the softop install. It's pretty straight forward, I replaced a friends top this past saturday at a techday I hosted. Make sure you sand the metal bars that s4play mentioned above. Btw, took me and my friend about 6hrs to replace the top.
Did you use the old glass or do you have to buy a new one?
Old 03-13-2014, 02:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The tear adds character.

Let it tear and let it rain!
Old 03-14-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghregy
Originally Posted by OZS2KCA' timestamp='1394689647' post='23060404
My friend bought the one with the glass and used the modifry straps. I believe the top came with the rear bar straps. His car is a my00
Old 03-14-2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by OZS2KCA
Originally Posted by Ghregy' timestamp='1394736308' post='23061355
[quote name='OZS2KCA' timestamp='1394689647' post='23060404']
My friend bought the one with the glass and used the modifry straps. I believe the top came with the rear bar straps. His car is a my00
[/quote]
Oh ok. I'm planning to change my top to. I'll check it online
Old 03-16-2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mighty_Mouse_Ep
Originally Posted by 2000BBS2k' timestamp='1390599946' post='22981939
I go to mr. Stitch in San Mateo. He's a nice guy, does good work. He's pretty understanding if your low on cash to lol...
Good to know i need to have my soft top patched
I went to Mr. Stitch, as well. If you plan on coming in on a Saturday, he'll want you to make an appointment a week in advance. He patched the small tear I had on the rear passenger side and even patched the driver side just in case.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

got a 1.5" tear in my top patched today at Val's Upholstery in SF. Mike, the owner, is a really nice & professional guy. He added some reinforced patches to the underside of the notorious trouble spots in the rear on both sides and covered the closed up tear w/a small bead of silicone on the outside. the patches were done neatly, but the silicone bead is a little uneven. i'll probably scrape it off and redo it. i'm pretty picky.

i mentioned to him that there is actually a Honda Technical Service Bulletin that recommends patching the tears and sanding down the reinforcement bars. He said that he doesn't believe the problem is attributed to the bars but has more to do w/the OEM top's poor material. He said the problem spots in the rear aren't really high stress or pressure areas either. He assured me that none of his s2000 patches have torn through or come back, but if it did, he'd do it over again.

just FYI for SF Area locals looking for top repair. be forewarned though, the driveway is really narrow. my car is pretty slammed and made it up headfirst (at a slight angle), but coming out, it scraped. lucky i have my front lip protector. i'd exit in reverse if you're lowered.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
got a 1.5" tear in my top patched today at Val's Upholstery in SF. Mike, the owner, is a really nice & professional guy. He added some reinforced patches to the underside of the notorious trouble spots in the rear on both sides and covered the closed up tear w/a small bead of silicone on the outside. the patches were done neatly, but the silicone bead is a little uneven. i'll probably scrape it off and redo it. i'm pretty picky.

i mentioned to him that there is actually a Honda Technical Service Bulletin that recommends patching the tears and sanding down the reinforcement bars. He said that he doesn't believe the problem is attributed to the bars but has more to do w/the OEM top's poor material. He said the problem spots in the rear aren't really high stress or pressure areas either. He assured me that none of his s2000 patches have torn through or come back, but if it did, he'd do it over again.

just FYI for SF Area locals looking for top repair. be forewarned though, the driveway is really narrow. my car is pretty slammed and made it up headfirst (at a slight angle), but coming out, it scraped. lucky i have my front lip protector. i'd exit in reverse if you're lowered.
For how much? Can you take some pictures? I wanted to see how he did it. Thanks
Old 04-01-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghregy
Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1396322865' post='23090763

For how much? Can you take some pictures? I wanted to see how he did it. Thanks
not much to see. the patches underneath are just some rectangular pieces of top material that he glued to the rear corner panels. the silicone bead on top is just squeezed out of a tube. looks like he did use a tapered glue bit or spreader to make the silicone bead neater, but i'm going to redo that part to make the bead more uniform. sorry, i keep my S at my other place and don't drive it during the week. i had a day off yesterday, so that's why i got it repaired.