California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Soft top installer in San Jose area

Old 04-04-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top installer in San Jose area

Hey all,

I am looking to get my plastic window replaced with a glass top, and was reading reviews of shops on yelp
and also calling in to get some quotes. I've contacted two shops so far, Bascom trim and upholstery and Soft tops,
but the quotes differed by a lot, with Bascom being around $400 more. I was wondering if any of you guys who have
gotten their tops replaced by a shop could give any recommendations on either these two shops or any other ones I may have missed?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 10:36 AM

they did my top, looks great
Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Blacktrax does it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-04-2013, 05:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iDashX
Blacktrax does it
they do softtop cloth replacements? since when?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh. Lol. I thought he had a top already

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-04-2013, 07:27 PM

thanks for all the input guys, but i still haven't gotten any feedback on the two shops i named?
Also if anyone is interested in helping me install a retrofit top, please pm me but I'm still pretty
sure that I would prefer to pay a shop who has experience with the install.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 AM

Bascom Trim does great work and are referred to by shops all around the area, which is why you'll also find a gang of cars stacked at their shop any day you go there. Also the reason why they probably quoted you ~900. I had a robbins soft top put on by Soft Tops recently for 520 and they did a great job. The turn around time was a big difference too. Bascom Trim is going to need a few days/upwards of a week, whereas I dropped my car off at Soft Tops at 7-8am and got it back by 5:30 that same day. I will warn you right now though, with this kind of shop and the price they're offering to do their work I can't speak to their consistency. Reviews seemed fine but I don't personally know anyone else that's gone there. Personally it seems like the kind of place that could have it's off days, but my own experience was very good. Ricardo the owner was solid as well. Again only one interaction with him but seemed like a stand up guy. Feel free to ping me if you have any other questions.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 PM

anyone willing to help me out if I decide to go the diy path?
I'm not sure but water might have gotten in through the rip in the plastic rear window, knowing that, would you guys recommend taking the car to the shop so someone experienced with water damage(if there is any) can take a look at it?
Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twrmnd
anyone willing to help me out if I decide to go the diy path?
I'm not sure but water might have gotten in through the rip in the plastic rear window, knowing that, would you guys recommend taking the car to the shop so someone experienced with water damage(if there is any) can take a look at it?
eep. i only know 1 person who's done a DIY cloth replacement, and that is voodoo.

if you have a leak on your plastic window and you still have your plastic soft top tray underneath, it shouldn't leak anywhere else.. unless it was just pouring in through there.

i'd help if i knew how
Old 04-09-2013, 09:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know a local s2ki friend, l8apex01 who installed his own replacement soft top. Feel free to ask him for advice. He's a genius.

Quick Reply: Soft top installer in San Jose area