California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

So are the front license plate tickets still fix-it tickets?

Old 08-22-2001, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So are the front license plate tickets still fix-it tickets?

So are the tickets for the front license plate still fix it tickets (you just have to have an officer sign you off) or do they cost cash too now? Me and another s2k owner that live on my block are wondering about this...hmmm....
Old 08-22-2001, 02:02 PM

YES and YES. This is a fix-it ticket that you must have an officer sign off *and* the court will charge you a fee for the infraction.

As you may know, I just got one of these on Sunday. I cleared mine at the Sheriff's WestSide SubStation (M-F; 8-4 only) & I understand the court will send me a bill for $10 on top of this.

I guess the bottom line is that fix-it tickets are no longer free.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Anybody know where I can get a plain black-chrome license plate frame locally???
Old 08-27-2001, 09:36 PM

I don't think they are a fix-it any more in SF. Straight $50 fine.

Elsewhere it should still be a fix-it, but many municipalities now charge $20 for fix-it tickets.
Old 08-27-2001, 10:08 PM

What can I do to my used beater car? The ex-owner only left the back license plate on my car. I don't know there was a front license plate. What can I do? ~~;
Old 08-28-2001, 05:29 AM

Originally posted by umvue
What can I do to my used beater car? The ex-owner only left the back license plate on my car. I don't know there was a front license plate. What can I do? ~~;
Hmmm...I thought new plates were issued when a car was transferred to a new owner, but you may want to contact the DMV to make sure. Either way, I believe you will be responsible for getting a front plate (old front or new front/rear) if issued a fix-it ticket for not having one. Heck, if SF is charging $50, it may be worth a call into the DMV (and to the old owner to see if he/she still has it) to see what your options are. Oh yeah...you may want to stay out of SF and/or Cupertino in the meantime. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:47 AM

It's easy to get a set of plates, if you only have a rear. Call the DMV office near you, tell them you got the car with only one plate, they will charge you a small "courtesy fee" ( on your credit card ) and will send you a new set of plates via mail. The new plates will, of course, be in the currest series ... like 4TXX999.

You can do this even if your front or rear plate is damaged by hitting something, ..... or even if you want the current number series on your car.

Fast, easy & cheap, ......... but the areas law enforcement is going to get tougher on "no front plate" cars !!!
Old 08-30-2001, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by umvue
This is interesting. How old is the car exactly?

It does say in the CVC that a front plate is required only if it has been issued. It is possible that one was never issued if the car is really old, in which case having no front plate is perfectly legal.

See: CVC: Display of License Plates

Oh, and 00SType, new plates are not necessarily issued when the title transfers. Only if the seller so desires. I bought my Jeep used and kept the plates, but when my wife sold her car, she took off the plates, and had them get new ones.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:43 AM

My beater car is not too old. I think it was out in 1992.... When do they start issuing two plates?
Old 08-30-2001, 05:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sparky
[B]
Oh, and 00SType, new plates are not necessarily issued when the title transfers.
Old 09-03-2001, 11:05 AM

In some other states, like Utah, you remove the plates when you sell the car. I just transferred title of an older car to my son in Utah and have instructed him to send me back the vanity plates from it. I'm still deciding if I want to keep them or turn them in to be recycled.

In California you're supposed to leave the plates with the car unless they're special plates. I purchased a car a few years ago with vanity plates and had to get new plates when it was registered because I didn't have a signed document releasing the plates to me from the previous owner. I took the plates back to him.

I like having the beat up gold on blue plates on my 20-year old pickup truck. It just wouldn't be the same with a new set.

And I'm keeping my front plate off of my S2000 until I finally get a ticket for it. I have it in the trunk, in case I can talk the officer into just letting me reinstall it on the spot.

Quick Reply: So are the front license plate tickets still fix-it tickets?