California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Slashed top, Allstate insurance, need advice

Old 05-09-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slashed top, Allstate insurance, need advice

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while but I need some advice asap.

Last night my top was slashed in my parking space at my apt complex. It's not the first time either, a few years ago it was also slashed, and I filed for vandalism and had my insurance(allstate) replace it with a new one.

This time around I want to just get a hard top so I don't have to worry as much about this anymore. I will buy hardtop locks to prevent it from being jacked, and hopefully discourage any unwanted behavior towards my car. Does anyone who have Allstate insurance have any advice on this situation? I'm going to the adjuster tomorrow morning, what should I say? Can I just ask for a check of how much it would be to buy and replace the top and just use that towards a hardtop myself, or will they force me to go through a shop and fix the soft top? More than anything I just want to know what my rights are regarding this issue and what I can logically argue for. Lastly, I was suggested this upholstery shop on bascom last time by Allstate, and the install was decent at best.(After 2-3 years some portions are wearing through the fabric) Are there any other good shops around here that do soft tops, even if it's just to get a quote?
Any advice/suggestion is appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should be able to ask for a check. also, if you schedule an adjuster, do it in SF or city with higher wages so they will pay you out more. they shouldnt ask you any questions.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:42 PM

hmm well my appointment is already set, it's near my home in Sunnyvale, but I can pick any shop right? I just don't know many upholstery shops or shops that can do soft tops.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It should be fair game to ask for a check towards a hard top.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by hellspare
hmm well my appointment is already set, it's near my home in Sunnyvale, but I can pick any shop right? I just don't know many upholstery shops or shops that can do soft tops.
if you have an adjuster come out to check out your car, you won't need to go to a shop if your planning to take the check and use it towards your hardtop. just tell the adjuster tomorrow that you want the check written out to you.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by chViETnk
Originally Posted by hellspare' timestamp='1336635741' post='21685380
if you have an adjuster come out to check out your car, you won't need to go to a shop if your planning to take the check and use it towards your hardtop. just tell the adjuster tomorrow that you want the check written out to you.
That seems much simpler, but how do they know what the labor rates are gonna be if they don't have a shop quote them?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by chViETnk' timestamp='1336636451' post='21685389
[quote name='hellspare' timestamp='1336635741' post='21685380']
That seems much simpler, but how do they know what the labor rates are gonna be if they don't have a shop quote them?
[/quote]

theres a set number depending on the city in their system.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by chViETnk' timestamp='1336636451' post='21685389
[quote name='hellspare' timestamp='1336635741' post='21685380']
[/quote]
They'll probably ball park shop A charges 160 an hr shop B charges 130. They just find a happy place in between. Don't forget this is what you've paid in for all these years. Fight tooth and nail with them for the biggest check you can get. All you have to do is convince the adjuster. Insurance will do whatever he/she says. Good luck. I think those replicas hardtops are going for like 1900. Now you know your magic number.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:00 AM

Thanks for all the responses. Surprising the adjuster was pretty flexible with everything. I convinced him to write me up for an oem top instead of the aftermarket one they usually use for replacement, ended up with a 1900 check after deductible.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. Surprising the adjuster was pretty flexible with everything. I convinced him to write me up for an oem top instead of the aftermarket one they usually use for replacement, ended up with a 1900 check after deductible.
another hardtop to the family

Quick Reply: Slashed top, Allstate insurance, need advice