California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Sibling rivalry: WRX vs S2K at the track

Old 12-24-2013, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NASA is geared more towards wheel-to-wheel racing with several ordinary HPDE groups thrown in for extra profit. Some people have positive experiences with NASA and if you do then more power to you. I was not so fortunate. I don't know how it is for the beginner groups but HPDE-4 or whatever its called was kind of a joke. The event was at Sonoma and it was pretty expensive compared to other organizations so I kind of expected a benefit (more run time, less cars on track, something that helps justify why you are spending more than you have to). Turns out you only get 4 20min sessions (5-6 is normal for most organizations) and there were, no joke, 60-70 cars on track. I understand it is a business but it just seems like its a little much. To add insult to injury NASA drivers are told to "drive the line" so very few people get out of your way even if you are clearly a faster car, forcing you to dive-bomb into corners and take unnecessary risk if you want to get by someone (this wont be a problem in the beginner group because there shouldn't be open passing). Also, little things that bugged me were that you are nickeled and dimed for everything, you are charged and additional $10 at the gate (I believe $20 at Buttonwillow since Buttonwillow charges $10) and spectators are charged for a wristband if they want to go for a ride along

I have had nothing but good things to say about NCRC. Dave and Luc run very fun events that are safe and well organized, yet they have a laid back atmosphere. They won't let you take your S2000 on track unless you pass the broomstick test (have a rollbar or sit low enough to clear the factory roll hoops) but they offer a great safety reimbursement program for everything you have to buy in order to pass their requirements.

CityTech/Blacktrax days are also really well run events that are always a blast.

As far as WRX vs. S2000 the WRX will be easier to reach its potential but the S2000 has more to offer if the driver can extract it. The S2000 is a faster car around a (dry) track, everything being equal.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I did my first track days this past November. Both were at Sonoma Raceway, first one was through NASA and second with Trackmasters. NASA is a great organization to run with for your very first trackday but Trackmasters was better bang-for-the-buck, IMO. NASA was more stringent on rules and regulations and TMR was more laid back. NASA helps to learn how to behave and adapt to the track environment but once you're comfortable, you'll want more space and track time. At this point, buck up, sign up for some events, and see for yourself.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:18 AM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

CityTech for sure. There are almost always instructors available at CityTech events who also drive S2000s and there will almost certainly be a large amount of S2000 drivers of all levels there so you will be a lot of people from the forum. Highly recommended.

Definitely don't go to a NASA event as it seems you will get the least amount of seat time. From everything I have heard their events are rather annoying if you are actually looking to get a decent amount of time on track. Don't let anyone else fool you. No amount of classroom training is going to be better than simple seat time on the track.

The S2000 is definitely the faster car with driver skill and tire grip being the same.

Drive within your limit, don't get tunnel vision and make sure to keep an eye on your rear view mirror and let faster drivers by, and most importantly LOOK AHEAD. It sounds simple but you really have to train you eye a bit and stay focused. For most drivers there will be a massive increase in speed once they get this part down and it just has to be self taught because nobody can control where you are looking while driving. Also have fun! There are a lot of Thunderhill S2000 videos available online so I would definitely take some time to check them out so you can learn the track a bit.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to NASA for my first ever track day and for me, it was a great experience. No complaints here. It was at Sonoma and my instructor was a driver for a ustcc team. Some were as well. They brief you in the morning before going onto the track. They also talked about the track lines that most cars should take which helps a lot.

I asked my instructor to take my car out on the track for his separate session to see how my car handles and he gave me lots of feedback since he knows how the car is compared to just assuming how it handles. It was only 4 sessions but it was not bad.

For beginners, they still allowed us to pass but only on certain straights and usually the instructor in the other car tells you which side to pass. I was allowed to pass a few cars which was also a good learning experience while in a somewhat controlled situation. There were about 40 cars on the track give or take a few.

I did go about a few years ago so not sure if it has changed any but after my 3rd session, the instructor signed my paper and allowed me to drive alone with my girlfriend as a passenger. I went through it without any issues. So again not sure if they changed the rules.

All in all, my experience was great with NASA. Again, you do get 1 or 2 sessions less than others but the experience I got from them was great and since it was my first time, 1-2 sessions less didn't really bother me. But like others have said, you just need to get sign up, get track time and you'll be having fun in no time.

Drive well, have fun and stay safe everyone.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:31 PM

Static nine also has track days in Thunderhill. It's not that expensive. If you sign up early enough, is like around $125.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:58 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Remember to put some race fuel in that tank less get some serious knock. Running regular 91 oc gas on that WRX will lead to unusually high levels of knock. You'll also need to do a little more track prep for the turbo'd car then you would for your S.

I like thunderhill. Feels open and safe.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:17 AM

NCRC has driving school in Feb.

Didn't have fun with NASA. Less seat time, and super long gaps between sessions (3hrs). They're also more expensive and charge you $10 per person to get into the track.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:05 AM

Doing car prep this week as we are hitting the track in a couple of days with NCRC.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

NCRC is awesome, Beginner friendly as well. I believe the last weekend in June they have a driving school day as well. I did one with them last year and loved it so I'll be going again the last Sunday of June with some friends.

In regards to them and the broomstick test they didn't do it to me or another driver I know however I wouldn't recommend trying to scrape by on this anyways as it sure as hell isn't safe to have your head clearing the rollbar.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:41 PM

Yeah, I'm working on lowering the seat tomorrow. At 6'1" I don't think I'm otherwise passing.

Quick Reply: Sibling rivalry: WRX vs S2K at the track