California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Should I Take My S Across the Border?

Old 04-26-2006, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Take My S Across the Border?

Does anyone have experience taking their S to Mexico? Is it unsafe to have a flashy bright yellow sports car down there? I am staying in Rosarito and plan to stay at a fairly decent hotel, the one I am interested in has secure vallet parking.

I just wanted to see if any of you have experience traveling there. I have never been so I'm not sure what to expect. I don't want to be worrying about my ride the whole weekend!

Any other Rosarito travel tips are appreciated too!

Thanks so much!
SARA
Old 04-26-2006, 09:30 AM

Dont take it the roads suck and pretty sure you will get door dings and lots of rock chips but since you have a yellow s you can buy my spoon snorkel to match but just dont take your car.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:41 AM

NO! I lived in San Diego for five years and went to Mexico all the time. Best thing to do is drive to the border and park you car in a lot. Then walk across the border and take a cab to whever you wanna go. The main road is ok but most of the other roads suck. Also, there is a high probability that your car or its belongings will get jacked. Happened to me once but it wasn't my car.

Rosarito is nice. Try Porte Nuevo. Little town by the water and order the lobster.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:56 AM

I was planning a trip to Rosarito this summer as well. Any additional info about how I should go about doing things and where to go would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:09 AM

Also be aware your insurance may not cover you in mexico.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:18 AM

DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR OVER THE BORDER.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD,Apr 26 2006, 10:09 AM
Also be aware your insurance may not cover you in mexico.
Once you cross the border you insurance does not work anymore. That's y you buy mexico insurance for what it worth. If i was you i wouldn't take my S in mexico
just rent a car it's will save all the drama in the long run.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by iceple,Apr 26 2006, 10:19 AM
Once you cross the border you insurance does not work anymore. That's y you buy mexico insurance for what it worth. If i was you i wouldn't take my S in mexico
just rent a car it's will save all the drama in the long run.
I was planning to get insurance for the trip, it is $35. I would prefer to drive to San Diego and rent a car BUT I am not 25 so I don't think anyone will rent me a car. I am 23.

Rosarito is 20 miles from the border and I was planning to park my S at the hotel and leaving it there. I'm not planning to drive around once I am there.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by sarahorton,Apr 26 2006, 10:29 AM
I was planning to get insurance for the trip, it is $35. I would prefer to drive to San Diego and rent a car BUT I am not 25 so I don't think anyone will rent me a car. I am 23.

Rosarito is 20 miles from the border and I was planning to park my S at the hotel and leaving it there. I'm not planning to drive around once I am there.
Well it's all you, i remenber back in the day when i was screwing around in Mexico TJ, Rosaritos. My friends and i got pull over by the damn MPD to harrass us we give them 40 and we were on our merry way. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2006, 11:38 AM

Many rental companies will allow you to rent a car if you are under 25, but over 21. You just have to pay an extra fee (~$10-$15/day)

I got stopped because my license plate ended in 4. And they always stopped people who's license plates ended in 4 on Tuesdays. Yes I remembered the day... and yes they are that fvcking stupid. Corruption is rampant.

DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR. Pay the under 25 fee!!!

Quick Reply: Should I Take My S Across the Border?