California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Should I get a test pipe?

Old 11-07-2006, 10:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trustd_1,Nov 7 2006, 11:38 PM
new to the s2000 scene but have been modding cars for years. generally speaking here's the lowdown on test pipes:

pros:

--more power but increases are usually minimal for most NA 4cyl Hondas/Acuras ~2-5hp

--weight savings. not sure what a S2000 cat weighs but stock Integra ones were about 10lbs

cons:

--test pipes/running w/out cats+tampering w/emissions equipment is ILLEGAL.....if caught, fine can be $1000 per citation. in the past, people were rarely cited for running catless (mostly just for modified exhausts), but law enforcement is really cracking down. if you get stopped by the wrong cop (one on a vendetta &/or a knowledgable one), you'll wish you didn't yank the cat. there are A LOT of better informed cops nowadays that receive training specifically pertaining to spotting mods on imports.

--running catless usually frees up more peak & top end power, but it can also decrease low end torque

--increases exhaust noise & emissions......on Hondas/Acuras, running catless makes for pretty raspy exhaust notes, which isn't really a good thing considering they already have high strung tones. if you have ever heard & seen loud ricers rolling around & shooting smoke clouds & even flames out of their mufflers, you can bet they're running catless. COPS KNOW THIS TOO, so if you wanna keep you & your ride, low profile, don't run catless.

--oh, and this is an extension of the above, but running w/out a cat can result in the bumper area around your exhaust tip getting blackened & even melted/scorched. Cops specifically look for cars w/these telltale signs of exhaust mods.

that covers the basic pros & cons. test pipes are inexpensive ways of freeing up a few ponies, but, IMO, it's not really worth the ri$k$ for just a few hp. if your ride is boosted, then the gain from running catless will be a little more substantial, but, again, if you get caught, it's gonna be expensive.
that basically sums it all up
Old 11-07-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-test pipes/running w/out cats+tampering w/emissions equipment is ILLEGAL....
i totally agree but there are tons of stuff that are "illegal"

most of the mods for an NA car are "illegal" and by themsleves do little for HP gains. Do whatever floats your boat. Cops don't know that you are running catless nor will they check. They will just send you to the smog referee and you can just put your stock cat on before you go. A cop will more likely send you to the Ref for an exhaust or intake than a Cat.

No cop is gonna get on his knees to look under your car. Cops work for the people. No need let them dictate how you wanna do things. There are ways around everything.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SojuSoulja,Nov 7 2006, 11:44 PM
i totally agree but there are tons of stuff that are "illegal"

most of the mods for an NA car are "illegal" and by themsleves do little for HP gains. Do whatever floats your boat. Cops don't know that you are funning catless nor will they check. They will just send you to the smog referee and you can just put your stock cat on before you go. A cop will more likely send you to the Ref for an exhaust or intake than a Cat.

No cop is gonna get on his knees to look under your car.
some know the smell of the missing cat jae. SOME. my uncles a cop. and he mods cars on the side. he knows.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:49 PM

i'm sure SOME know but they'll just send you to the ref. Especially when I lived down in SD. The cops there knew what to look for but I doubt any of them ever wrote a 10K ticket on the spot. I got pulled over a couple of times back in the day in SD and got sent to the ref once. it really is just more of PITA to deal with. If you don't wanna deal with it then just don't mod. Plainand simple.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, many mods are illegal, and it's really up to each individual to use his/her own morals & judgment to determine what they want to do w/their own ride.

but having said that, i've been around the import & modding scene for a long, long time and so have my friends (basically since imports first started to get popular here in The Bay) So i'm pretty confident that i know a little bit about what basic mods are worthwhile and what aren't.

additionally, i have several friends & fam members in law enforcement, so I'm well acquainted w/all the repercu$$ion$ of being stopped & popped for mods.

w/out making this too much longer, i'll just reiterate what i originally advised......IMO, test pipes on NA Hondas/Acuras aren't worthwhile mods.

if you have a super duper built "all motor" NA powerplant or are running boost, then, yeah, freeing up the exhaust by yanking the cat(s) MIGHT be worth the risk of getting cited for running catless. but for ~2-5 hp on most other Hondas/Acuras, I'd say forget it. it's not just about the illegality factor either. as i mentioned in my previous reply, there are other cons to running catless too.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:08 PM

back to the original question:

since you have the Mugen Intake and exhaust i'd say the Tp would be a good mod. Do you have the mugen headers?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SojuSoulja,Nov 8 2006, 12:08 AM
back to the original question:

since you have the Mugen Intake and exhaust i'd say the Tp would be a good mod. Do you have the mugen headers?
headers are about to be on the way...
Old 11-07-2006, 11:12 PM

your cat is going to be the bottleneck. might as well finish off the exaust system with the cat. There is one cat that has mounting points for the heat shield to make it stealth. Forgot which one.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:52 PM

don't they have a portable dyno now to do smog emissions on the road or was that just a rumor.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by SojuSoulja,Nov 8 2006, 12:12 AM
your cat is going to be the bottleneck. might as well finish off the exaust system with the cat. There is one cat that has mounting points for the heat shield to make it stealth. Forgot which one.
T1R...just ask Joey

Quick Reply: Should I get a test pipe?