California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Should I Do It? T_T torn....

Old 03-19-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Should I Do It? T_T torn....

ahhh... so im torn.. i got an offer for a direct trade, no cash involved, for my S2000. i am so unsure of what i am to do, a lot of my friends say "do it" and "the trade is really worth it", but im still so scared of maintenance on a rotary engine.. my S2K has ad its ups and downs of problems, but it hasnt failed me in any way in the last few months.. plus it would be very hard letting her go, especially since i modded it from stock.. what should i do?

my ap1 has 33k on it, its really clean, just had the gp kit installed and everything is fine and dandy.. has about 6-7k worth of parts on her and she is my pride and joy... still have a lot of plans for it and its my first car..

the FD that the guy is willing to trade me is very very clean..93' R1 edition. possibly one of the cleanest FD's i've ever seen (in pics, he is coming down to SF in a few days to show me the car in person), no dents, dings, or scratches. it has 56k on the chassis, 4k on a rebuild that is street ported. has about 15k in aftermarket parts, including many many parts for reliability. in those aftermarket parts, there isnt really much super high hp mods that reduce reliability dramatically, it is still running on the stock twin sequential turbos. The FD has no issues since the rebuild, no engine problems, no electrical problems, no leaks of any sort, and no weird noises. i talked to one of my old friends (used to own a 550 hp FD monster) and showed him the list of modifications that the car already has on it and he told me that it is a GREAT trade and an awesome base to start working on. He said that the parts on the car show that the guy has done his research in reliability mods and that from the pics and information supplied, he really knows how to maintain his FD.

now i know many of you will post about the reliability issues, but thats why i stated above about the modifications and the history of the car. also, if anyone is wondering, this will be my daily driver, as my S2000 is atm, but to be honest, i barely ever drive my S2000 anyway.. maybe 3 times a week, and not for long distances. so back to the point, should i take the leap? i was also thinking of getting the FD, maintaining it, adding a few more parts, then selling it out or trading it for a nice used NSX.

what should i do?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NO!!! then again, i'm sorta kinda biased cuz of all the maintenance issues all my fd friends have. but then again, it's your choice. it's a great car, very well balance, just sucks that the engine doesn't last as long as honda's.

this is just my "personal" opinion of course
Old 03-19-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

y not, if you are just going to flip it for an NSX.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:15 PM

IMO, the FD is an unknown since you don't really know the history of the car. If it were a friend you knew that was trading, I'd probably say go for it, but from a stranger, I dunno.

I say wait it out and just jump straight to the NSX when you are ready.

Otto
Old 03-19-2007, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, if anything, i say just wait for an nsx instead of having to go through the fd and having to deal with "possible" issues with the car...
Old 03-19-2007, 06:36 PM

buy it, leap before you look
Old 03-19-2007, 06:37 PM

i dunno guys, im really leaning towards trading for the FD.. i can't get enough of the boost... x_x i know that FD's are succeptable to problems, but this one seems to be very clean.. he has vouches from people on www.rx7club.com (holy mother of god that forum loads so SLOW ) and i am not planning on keeping it for too long.. also, i have always loved the FD, i was thinking about getting one before i got the AP1. and also, although it may not mean much, the carfax report came out clean. he is going to come over at the end of the week to check out the car, and i am planning to do a full inspection on the FD before making an actual decision..
Old 03-19-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mannn tough decision i was debating between the fd and s2k earlier. chose the s2000 cuz of maintanence. u gotta expect the worst from the rotary. also it is kinda weird that hes willing to trade his car that he put 15k into for an s2000. imo seems like he could get more outta it if he parted and sold it or jus sold it.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by a_red_s2k' date='Mar 19 2007, 06:44 PM
mannn tough decision i was debating between the fd and s2k earlier. chose the s2000 cuz of maintanence. u gotta expect the worst from the rotary. also it is kinda weird that hes willing to trade his car that he put 15k into for an s2000. imo seems like he could get more outta it if he parted and sold it or jus sold it.
yeah, Ken, i know.. he said that he wants a daily driver because the FD isnt cutting it with the gas mileage.. i am kinda sketchy on the fact that he wants to get rid of the FD as well.. so i looked into his posts on rx7club and there doesnt really seem to be much evidence of something wrong with the car or any dramatic problems.. he said that he was interested in trading for a G35, 350z, S2000, and a few other cars.. i just happened to email him with my list of modifications and some pics, and he responded to my surprise.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:49 PM

is it that red fd for sale on craigslist?

Quick Reply: Should I Do It? T_T torn....