California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Shopping for an S2000 in the Bay Area

Old 02-04-2002, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping for an S2000 in the Bay Area

Hello everyone,

I've been interested in purchasing an S2K for a while, and been lurking in this forum for the last few weeks trying to absorb as much info as possible. I've gone to the dealership to check out the S2K, and while I've just about have my mind made up that I want to purchase one, I still haven't been able to test drive one. Does anyone know of any dealerships around the Bay Area that allows test drives? Also, has anyone purchased a 2002 S2K in the Bay Area? Any ideas as to how pricing is these days? I've gotten quotes for a bunch of dealerships around the area, and the prices have ranged from 1k over MSRP all the way up to $5k over!! Are there any dealerships around here that are willing to do MSRP for a 2002 model? Also, if I were to trade-in my current car, do you think it'd help make them willing to deal more or less (I've never dealt with trade-ins). And finally, has anyone seen a black ext. / red int. S2K? How does it look in person? That's the color scheme that I'm most interested in, yet it seems like there are no dealers in the area that has it! One salesman I spoke to didn't even know they offered it in that color scheme! Thanks for any help! This forum has been really informative!!
Old 02-04-2002, 05:08 PM

There are quite a few members in the Bay Area who would be willing to take you for a ride to show what the car can do, then let you drive it (more gently) to get the general feel for the car. Give us a hint where you live and I'm sure we can get a volunteer somewhere near you.

As for pricing, $1000 over MSRP from a Bay Area dealer is probably the best you'll see unless you know somebody at a dealership.

I've seen black with red and that was my second choice when I was looking for an S2000. Fortunately I was able to buy the best color of all and didn't have to settle for second best.

If I were looking for one today, I would be calling every Honda dealer within 500 miles. It would be worth a 1-way plane ticket to save $1000 or more and find the right color.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought at Autowest Honda on Automall Pkwy in Newark.

Why?... they were the only place that:
a) would let me test drive
b) had a couple of models ON THE LOT
c) had one of the two colors I was looking for (S/R or B/R)

They've been good to deal with though there are others who are good.

BTW Scott... I know your car and you didn't get the best color comb'n... I did.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:47 PM

It is definitely worth looking outside the bay area for your S2000. If I were you, I'd
(1) get a test drive or ride from an exisiting owner and really talk to owners to get a good feeling about the car,
(2) get a test drive from a dealership
(3) look into the snow-belt states for a sweet deal on the S2000 (Shipping costs about $500-1200 from out east)
or (4) Check Priceline on the ar since several memebrs locally have gotten good deals that way.

Good luck.

PS-You might want to meet up with some owners this weekend whoare getting together for a drive and BBQ. (See BBQ thread).
Old 02-05-2002, 02:56 PM

I've just purchased an 02' S2000 (black/black) about 3 weekends ago from Stockton Honda. I paid MSRP and got the optional alarm...(which I don't really want in the first place) at cost.

Point is...do not pay over MSRP! If you're willing to go for Spa Yellow, they had 2 in the show room when I purchased mine. They were very motivated to get rid of it and even offered below MSRP if I would have taken the yellow instead. The yellow looks great...but the bottom line is...the color is just not me. According to the sales guy, those two have been in the show room for over 2 months...so if you're looking for that color...

As for trade ins...it really varies. If you have a high demand car, the process might be easier. I've traded in a WRX and just about every dealer I've talked to wanted it. The general rule however is that you can always get more if you're to sell it by yourself. If trading in is what you have to do, then I would recommend that you try to negotiate the 2 separately...(you can never really separate that two however and the dealer will always try to play one against the other. ie: offering you more for your trade in...but raising the price of you S2K at the same time.) Bottom line is, you just have to understand what your car is worth in the market today.

Good luck with your purchase...but if the S2K is what you want...you should do it soon. Price on roadsters are very dependent on time of year and weather.
Old 02-05-2002, 02:59 PM

Oh yeah. and:
d) they were willing to sell at MSRP
Old 02-06-2002, 07:04 AM

Like RamRaider, I also purchased a Silver/Black '02 from Stockton 4 weekends ago. I would say they are pretty good, the only downside is that they might have added a couple of options on the car. They had 5 S2K's when I went there, I bought the Silver/Blk, RamRaider got the Blk/Blk, so they should still have the Silver/Red, Yellow/Blk x 2. Yellows both have alarm, rear spoiler, but the Silver/Red is stock. They were motivated to sell the yellow because they have been sitting for a while.
You can talk to Jerome Kelley, my sales guy. He is pretty good. We did the deal over the phone and it was pretty easy when picking up the car. If you didn't see my earlier post, I paid 34K for the car + full aero kit (front, side and rear), alarm, wheel locks and car cover. I was looking for just stock silver/blk, but I guess the price wasn't too bad.

In bay area, the best deal I could get on a silver/blk is $1000 over from El Cerrito. Hopkins was willing to do between $1000-$1500 over. A few people have reported getting MSRP at Serramonte, but they didn't have cars on the lot. Winter Chevrolet/Honda in Pittsburg also will see at sticker. I was actually surprised that someone got MSRP at Autowest, but I guess I wasn't that impressed with their dealership at first, never gone back gain.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:32 AM

Re Autowest: I got MSRP and with the (very few) options I got the Net price was lower than the sum of MSRPs... all things consedered... Not Bad.

Guy I dealt with was Robert Simpson. Great big guy that had to cram himself in the car for the test drive . He had a big sticker on the windshield in from of him and I was testing aggressively... Scare the Hsit out of him. .

Service has been good to quite good. No *real* problems to report.
Old 02-06-2002, 10:03 AM

Hi All,

I did get my Suzuka Blue at MSRP (No options) from Serramonte Honda. I informed another guy from Woodside that they had a Yellow one and he got it for MSRP too. They do put on a hard sell for a huge mark-up (10K) but if you are serious and the main manager is there (sorry forgot his name) they will give you that price. One warning, I got mine in the middle of a big storm in December and went on a Saturday night, meaning I was a serious buyer to be there at that time. Spring season will be here soon and they might not deal very much when the clouds go away.

I was surprised to get that price too, considering there were no dealer options added.....thankfully.

Ask for Daniel he's a good guy but he can't sell you a car if Serramonte hasn't gotten any since December.

Good luck,

Archon
Old 02-07-2002, 01:22 PM

I was just at carmichael honda in sacramento they have 3 s2k's in stock silver/black blue/blue and a black/red, I thought I wasn't going to like the all red interior but I have to say it looked pretty good! They might be willing to deal as they have 3 in stock....

Quick Reply: Shopping for an S2000 in the Bay Area