California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

SF Bay Area Road Rage?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts
Cool SF Bay Area Road Rage?

So I'll vent and share my stories...

I got my first taste of s2000-directed road rage the first day I bought the car. I was driving down 280, going with the flow of traffic in the middle lane, driving completely normal. I get a guy behind me tailgaiting, honking, and swerving.

Last week I had a guy in a new Ford F150 (no license plates--dealer paper plates) try to sideswipe me on purpose (he came from behind) and cut me off--I jumped on my brakes, hard. Afterwards he revved a lot but wouldn't make eye contact. Cue lots of swerving and crazy lane changes from him trying to speed away in stop and go traffic.

Today I was driving back from work on Tasman, near the Great Mall. A bunch of guys in a minivan yelled, "Your car is gay!" I think they also yelled out "faggot!" and how I "need to get new wheels!" I didn't reply or acknowledge them because... how can a reasonable adult respond to that? In stop and go traffic no less.

In all cases I was top-down, driving normally.

Have any interesting stories?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you took it better then i did the first time lol. I had a truck blow several black exhaust clouds infront of me while i was top down. i threw my milk shake at him. guys that say the S is gay... well i just think in my head... can't be gayer then a miata (sourced from a magazine as top 5 cars liked by gay men). well i'm glad i have an exhaust so i can just take off obnoxiously.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know about you but with whenever I drive my S2000, I mainly get positive comments and other drivers and passengers slowing down, rolling their windows giving me the thumbs up or saying something positive about my car. . Maybe 2-3 times a year I encounter one of those 4X4 trucks or pick-ups trying to go side-by-side with me and blow their thick black exaust smoke at me but I'm pretty smart and either slow down or gun so they can't get me. Maybe it's the way your car looks like? lol I have no idea but I simply drive slow, cruise, unless someone wants a race and revs me on me but after the race, we give each other the thumbs up. lol Not sure why people would hate for, unless your mugging them.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:16 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by XenonKiller99
I don't know about you but with whenever I drive my S2000, I mainly get positive comments and other drivers and passengers slowing down, rolling their windows giving me the thumbs up or saying something positive about my car. . Maybe 2-3 times a year I encounter one of those 4X4 trucks or pick-ups trying to go side-by-side with me and blow their thick black exaust smoke at me but I'm pretty smart and either slow down or gun so they can't get me. Maybe it's the way your car looks like? lol I have no idea but I simply drive slow, cruise, unless someone wants a race and revs me on me but after the race, we give each other the thumbs up. lol Not sure why people would hate for, unless your mugging them.
I have no idea. My car is stock and I don't drive like an ass.

It is yellow and not silver like yours, so that might be an issue...

No positive comments from strangers in the 6 months I've owned it so far
Old 12-21-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Spa yellow was actually my first choice of color. I ended up getting a Metallic Silverstone instead. Yellow stands out more. Maybe your car is filthy dirty and u drive it like it's a yellow Modena? lol j/k I only get hated on if I drive like a crazy maniac. I always wave my hands if I cut someone off when I'm in a rush so they wave back at me saying it's okay.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well once near my office, driving normally, I had a dude in an subie rev at me and give me BJ gestures (stating my car is "gay"). I wasn't racing, speeding, or excessively revving - he was just being an ass... That being said, I was PISSED! Top down, I yelled "Fxck You!" and gave him the finger!

when I got to a PC, I posted on i-club.com what happened. they all agreed that guy showed low class and my reaction was understandable.

figured out, penis-breath works near where I work. running into him again in a different car, I snapped this:

(you have my permission to give him an ear full) lol

here's another occasion:
in my beater CD5 I was on the fast lane, driving fast (as meant for the fast lane), and some dude goes in front of me and slams on his brake! (there's no one in front of him!) so for about 10 miles or so, we was brake checking me, trying to swerve into me while I tried to change lane to go in front, etc.

I was ready to kick this guy's ass! maybe, he's just having a bad day? go figure...

...and, that shiet happened last night!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarryD

I got my first taste of s2000-directed road rage the first day I bought the car. I was driving down 280, going with the flow of traffic in the middle lane, driving completely normal. I get a guy behind me tailgaiting, honking, and swerving.

Last week I had a guy in a new Ford F150 (no license plates--dealer paper plates) try to sideswipe me on purpose (he came from behind) and cut me off--I jumped on my brakes, hard. Afterwards he revved a lot but wouldn't make eye contact. Cue lots of swerving and crazy lane changes from him trying to speed away in stop and go traffic.

Today I was driving back from work on Tasman, near the Great Mall. A bunch of guys in a minivan yelled, "Your car is gay!" I think they also yelled out "faggot!" and how I "need to get new wheels!" I didn't reply or acknowledge them because... how can a reasonable adult respond to that? In stop and go traffic no less.

I havent had much on the S2K...well sometimes in the mountains where people wont let me pass when Im trying to overtake. More so with the Lotus on the road. Ive heard comments like, "Hey, over priced Toyota"

Ive also encountered a huge pick up truck that thought I wouldnt let him in when he was trying to merge. He probably doesnt know the size of his vehicle well & the size of mine + distance at that particular moment. Anyhow, he tried to sideswipe me & brake check me 3x in a row - he would hard stop & then when it came time to accelerate he would brake again. He really wanted me to rear end him.

I finally go fed up, overtook him & returned the favor. I figured he must have good insurance if hes f@#king around like this right (yeah right...)? So I brake check back & he didnt slam into the rear of the Exige like I anticipated. I purposely broke hard too so the car would be totaled & I would sustain some kind of injuries to go sue happy for. I looked in my side view mirror & he's laughing like a little bitch hehe. So I just flip the bird all the way until we split ways (this really gets people angry especially if you leave it up & point it at them forever).

Not the best or smartest thing to do on my part nor a good example but ehhh whatever. They're everywhere, just protect yourself first, cars are easily replaceable but hurting someone else will bring you into a world of headaches.

Im wondering if I have a front facing camera that can record, if this would help if it ever came down to a legal battle.
---

EDIT: Reflecting back, most of my experiences with road rage drivers are drivers who drive pick up trucks. I wonder what they all have in common as owners of these large pick up trucks that make them act like uneducated, obnoxious, brute morons on the road?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EVEYTIME I TAKE MY CAR OUT, U GET THUMBS UP ALL THE TIME FROM AT LEAST FEW PEOPLE AND U USUALLY WAVE AT THEM
Old 12-21-2011, 09:13 PM

I usually get the tailgaters that never stop tailing. So I figured I'd exit and take some off ramps or short twisties I know I can take at a good clip. 1st incident, subie in SF at the top of oshaunessey Portola going down towards 280. Kept on my ass I couldn't see his headlights anymore. I'm like ok, you got me on the straights, let's see what you can do in the first couple turns. Started with a 2 car gain 1st turn, double that in the next, then I hear tires screeching. I'm like oh shit im pushing my tires too hard. Nope it was the subie losing it and hitting the side of the mountain. Oh well, anyone can drive straight fast, but can you drive fast in the corners lol

This just happened last week. On my way to Stanford mall. Minding my own business in the slow lane doing 65. 745i comes out of no where tailing me for a good mile. He tries to pass and get in front of me but I wasn't having it. Exit was coming up and he had no choice but to get back behind me. This exit has a long nice sweeper with the apex of the turn slightly getting sharper after the sweeper. Long story short, there's only one way out of the exit. I never saw him at the stop light you end up at after exiting.

Sometimes not adding fuel to the fire helps. Just knowing what my car can do and others trying to push me isn't going to work. Either they pull up with their weak stereo system they call beat and I'll turn mine up and vibrate their car. I'll turn my system down only to find out they lowered their volume. Thanks pal, nice try. But I'll own you one way or another lol
Old 12-21-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by slightly2ned
Originally Posted by HarryD' timestamp='1324521306' post='21255272

I havent had much on the S2K...well sometimes in the mountains where people wont let me pass when Im trying to overtake. More so with the Lotus on the road. Ive heard comments like, "Hey, over priced Toyota"

Ive also encountered a huge pick up truck that thought I wouldnt let him in when he was trying to merge. He probably doesnt know the size of his vehicle well & the size of mine + distance at that particular moment. Anyhow, he tried to sideswipe me & brake check me 3x in a row - he would hard stop & then when it came time to accelerate he would brake again. He really wanted me to rear end him.

I finally go fed up, overtook him & returned the favor. I figured he must have good insurance if hes f@#king around like this right (yeah right...)? So I brake check back & he didnt slam into the rear of the Exige like I anticipated. I purposely broke hard too so the car would be totaled & I would sustain some kind of injuries to go sue happy for. I looked in my side view mirror & he's laughing like a little bitch hehe. So I just flip the bird all the way until we split ways (this really gets people angry especially if you leave it up & point it at them forever).

Not the best or smartest thing to do on my part nor a good example but ehhh whatever. They're everywhere, just protect yourself first, cars are easily replaceable but hurting someone else will bring you into a world of headaches.

Im wondering if I have a front facing camera that can record, if this would help if it ever came down to a legal battle.
---

EDIT: Reflecting back, most of my experiences with road rage drivers are drivers who drive pick up trucks. I wonder what they all have in common as owners of these large pick up trucks that make them act like uneducated, obnoxious, brute morons on the road?
Hey you know what pisses most off. The sign that you got a small penis. I used to do it a lot and it would aggravate the eff out of those I did it to. I stopped when one psycho in his jetta couldn't beat my mustang from light to light. He started punching his windshield, and I was like wow. He was never going to win against my geared and tuned trq monster, but I guess he had a chance cus he probably only races a quarter mile at a time lol

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area Road Rage?