California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

sell or keep

Old 03-30-2015, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't under stand how a s2k is a expensive car to maintain?....
Old 03-30-2015, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
Originally Posted by manystyles' timestamp='1427526690' post='23557901
Originally Posted by 623baller
lol yea not looking for people to convince me to keep or sell the car. more on input of lowering the cost of ownership now that it's a weekend car. maybe just getting liability coverage on insurance will help. Maintenance isnt really too much since i do most of the work myself or have my buddy help me out. it's the modding part that may hit me hard lol. just having a hard time justifying paying that full amount of insurance when i probably wont drive it that much. probably better off to send it to a better home. the car is meant to be driven
You kind of answered your own question. Part out mods, keep it OEM and keep the car. Done.
sounds like he answered his own question.... but at the end. it's a great & fun car, but if you're not going to use it and are having serious reservations about doing so, it sounds like you'd be better off pocketing the $$$ and sending it to someone that will get some use out of it. as nice as the s2k is, it's not going to appreciate. pure and simple, you're losing $$$, the longer you hold onto it.

i got attached to one of my cars (sentimental reasons). i bought it outright in the beginning and kept it in the garage for years. didn't put more than 500 miles on it the last several years i had it. i was going to keep it forever, but my co-worker's wife totalled her car, so i decided to let her have it. while she's not a car enthusiast and doesn't know what a gem she got, she loves the car. she constantly tells her husband/my co-worker so. i miss the car, but there was no sense keeping it around for basically nothing. it's better that someone else is out there enjoying it.

yep, i think im actually inclined on letting it go. The car is meant to be driven, i would rather let someone who can put it in good use rather than me keeping it in the garage. There are definitely sentimental reasons to keep this car as well

thanks for the inputs everyone!
Old 03-30-2015, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by tbkonwso
i don't under stand how a s2k is a expensive car to maintain?....

it's not an expensive car to maintain but it's like gym membership. would you want to keep paying that monthly payment if you know you wont be using the gym on a regular basis.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your heart is just not into it anymore and you don't intend on putting forth the effort to maintain it inside and out I would just sell while there is a market for the car. They've only went up in value, and who knows in another 5-10 years if this will continue to be the trend. Just ask yourself if whatever you ask for the car and get will truly make you happy. I've thought about this myself since I never really drive my car (not by choice) I'm just really busy with the family much like you are from what it sounds like.

Ultimately I would like to pick up a Corvette. My thought process behind keeping my s2000 is to maintain it and keep it around for my son in hopes that when he's old enough to drive it could make for a nice weekend car for even the both of us. I put only 1500 miles on my car since last year so you can see how well preserved it may be in another 13-14 years with some trackdays and weekend runs here and there.

Best advice I can give you is to not rush into it if you don't have to. These cars are still very much desired..
Old 03-30-2015, 10:50 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
If your heart is just not into it anymore and you don't intend on putting forth the effort to maintain it inside and out I would just sell while there is a market for the car.

Best advice I can give you is to not rush into it if you don't have to. These cars are still very much desired..

Old Man Trunkie would tell you to get rid of it.

That said, yes, get rid of the mod parts. Those really don't add anything to any real value of the car*. Check your insurance; be sure you're on a scheme for miles-driven, not general coverage. Past that, learn to do the basic maintenance yourself if you have the aptitude.**

*Though, for as long as I've been on here, every year, somebody tries to tell me that I should pay $60K for their hella-fail-build. No, it's a XX MY car with YY,YYY thousand miles. KBB tells me what I owe you.
**Time is money too, which is why Joey gets my cash every couple of months.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
*Though, for as long as I've been on here, every year, somebody tries to tell me that I should pay $60K for their hella-fail-build. No, it's a XX MY car with YY,YYY thousand miles. KBB tells me what I owe you.
it was too small to read. had to quote to change its font size so everyone can read
Old 03-31-2015, 06:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Allow me to re-quote a selection from the most relevant post of the thread.
Thank you Tkeÿyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy for bringing that to everyone's attention.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:43 PM

I have the same dilemmas you. I'm just going to switch the car to a daily driver.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 623baller
had my s2k for 8 years now. it's been great , not many issues would love to keep the car but it doesn't seem to make financial sense (insurance + maintenance + other costs + mod temptations...etc ) to keep the car if i will only occassionally drive it. i know most of you will say keep it but it's getting tough to justify for it given that my garage only fits one car now so that means my S needs to be garaged while my other car sits outside. looking for inputs on how people had been able to keep the cost down (now that it's my weekend car, i dont want to make it a mod money pit....lol)
Ask yourself if you're emotionally attached to your S. Given the ownership and experiences over 8 years sometimes it's hard to put a value on something that not only brings your pure joy when in and around it but also the memories you've gained through the ownership. To me that's why keeping it is priceless! As far cost, it's paid off, park it, drive it, and learn to maintain it on your own. Easiest car I've worked on over the years. Life is too short to second guess yourself. If you don't feel this way anymore about tour S, then sell and find something else or enjoy doing something else. No one is going to fault you for it.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:13 AM

While adding modifications on the car is fun and transcends this car to a whole new level, it shouldn't be even considered when you're trying to keep costs low.. I'm sure you know of the classic money pit trap that people get themselves in. I find what I'm doing now is quite effective in keeping costs low, and that is making your S purely a seasonal car. Insurance is only paid for half a year, surely you are paying empty registration 6 months out of a year but that's a given. If you time the non-open transfer correctly, you do not need a new smog. Garage space is still being used but essentially that's what garages are for.

If you feel like you are done with the convertible lifestyle then go ahead and sell as the S is doing very in the market right now.. but in my opinion the s2000 is probably one of the cheapest pure roadster options available.

Quick Reply: sell or keep