Are seibon mugen style hood functional?

Old 03-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This was more of what i meant btw.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp...r/viewall.html
Old 03-27-2012, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andrie
Also, don't get me wrong. The hood vent will lower your engine bay temperature, but it has nothing to do to cool down the engine itself. That is done by the water flowing through the radiator.
Now this makes sense and is what I think everyone was saying by cooling the engine. I think it's just they used different wording. I think it just came down to two people saying the same thing in different ways which the other person didn't understand. I would have said it cools the engine too but I know it doesn't actually effect the temp of the engine itself rather the air inside the engine bay.

I say everyone just hugs it out!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by itS2Krazy
This was the conclusion from that article
--------------------
Our test car’s engine churned out the most power right where Bubba said it would: with its engine at its normal operating temperature—not too hot or too cold—and its intake components as cool as can be. But excluding the hottest run, the amount of power lost or gained was marginal. “Freezing the intercooler with a compressed gas like nitrous oxide or CO2 will make the biggest difference,” he advises, flat out. “Ice bags really don’t do anything but leak water on the track and make everyone slower,” he adds. “Which might keep you in the stands for the rest of the night

--------------------

If ice bags don't even make that much difference, what a few vents do on such high temperature and hot air that had gone through hot radiator?

Everyone knows cooler air makes more power. To achieve this by cooling a few degrees out of the engine bay is not effective. The source should be as cool as possible, which in this case is outside the engine bay. The air that is in the engine bay has to go through hot radiator.

Look, it is good to let hot air out of the engine bay. I just want to be clear that the purpose of the hood vent is not for engine cooling, rather aero. That's why race cars have air vent on the fender too. And if air is important to cool engine, no one will build mid engine cars.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:19 PM

We have an agreement!! I agree!!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:40 PM

Also. Some cars come standard with vented hoods. Mercedes SL line. Bmw m3's.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by -outkast-
Originally Posted by slightly2ned' timestamp='1332823077' post='21546922
The Mugen looks similar to the J's & the functions of the J's are cooling efficiency, additional downforce & clearance/no need to modify the hood when running a snorkel - ASM, J's, Spoon, Mugen.

There isnt much if any weight savings to be found unless you acquire the authentic dry cf JDM hood versions; the FRP hoods are even a little heavier than stock.

As for the fakes; most of their fitment out of the box will need a bodyshop to work it out to the best fitment possible where as the authentic typically fit close to OEM.
Actually, the j's racing hood is a mugen hood with a J's Racing badge on it just like how the J's racing wings are voltex wings with J's stickers on them.

What!? Ive never heard this before. I dont recall the JDM name, but the factory that makes this for J's is not the same as Mugen from when I was researching this. The J's & Mugen hood lines are totally different, dimensions of the vents, etc.

Yes, the J's wings are Voltex wings with different end plates

Originally Posted by bjeong1381
Looking at the design of the hood I can't see how those vents would produce down force. Now if we were talking about the ASM hood then I could see how it would produce down force as it is actually designed to taking air that is brought in through the bumper over the v-mount radiator and out of the opening of the hood over the roof of the car. I don't know if that made sense but it did in my head.
Yes, that makes sense. Many cars hoods are designed like that, the Lotus Elise/Exige being one of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BnHX...layer_embedded

Here, from Voltex tests, see post #37: Voltex Aero Testing

Vented hood increased the front DF with very little impact on the drag.

Airflow out of the vented hood was visible.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by -outkast-
Originally Posted by slightly2ned' timestamp='1332823077' post='21546922
The Mugen looks similar to the J's & the functions of the J's are cooling efficiency, additional downforce & clearance/no need to modify the hood when running a snorkel - ASM, J's, Spoon, Mugen.

There isnt much if any weight savings to be found unless you acquire the authentic dry cf JDM hood versions; the FRP hoods are even a little heavier than stock.

As for the fakes; most of their fitment out of the box will need a bodyshop to work it out to the best fitment possible where as the authentic typically fit close to OEM.
Actually, the j's racing hood is a mugen hood with a J's Racing badge on it just like how the J's racing wings are voltex wings with J's stickers on them.
That is actually not correct. The J's hood is not the mugen hood but yes the J's wing is Voltex though. Also the J's racing door and trunk are just ASM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 PM

^ The doors & trunk; I didnt know were the same for ASM. Good to know!