California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Are seibon mugen style hood functional?

Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not having a debate with you. What you're saying sounds right. But also im not saying the vents will dramatically make differences. Im just saying a little ventilation helps.

Why do people at the track open hoods to vent out? If what you're saying is correct, theres not really a need to even open the hood at that point. You can just keep going at the track.

And dont get me wrong, you have tons of track time and i have none besides drag, so you'd know better than i. Im just more curious now on this subject besides the aero factor.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never open the hood to vent out. If I open the hood, it is to check something or fix something. I don't know why people open their hoods either. Our engine is water cooled, not air cooled like old Porsche or old VW.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 PM

only reason why i open mine is to cool it down faster to take my scorching oil cap off
Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 PM

I always had this notion when its the right vented hood.

Blue for aero. Red for heat.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...1b49e673f2.jpg
Old 03-27-2012, 01:41 PM

No doubt the air going through the vented hood will be hot air, given it is gone through the radiator. But the purpose is for aero. Thus the air escaping after radiator, not after it hit the engine. I bet the air can cool the engine better with non vented hood, cause the air can escape from the bottom of the car. You know the bottom of the car is open and low pressure.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by itS2Krazy
Hmm, so when people dyno, they should have the hoods closed right? But a lot of tuners leave them open as well.
I've read my comments again, and I must say I apologize. Don't mean to offend anyone. I might be a bit harsh. I'm not known to sugar coat anything

When I tune my race car, I've always tuned it to simulate track condition. Big fan in the front of the car, and make sure operating temperature is within the range. I also monitor my intake temperature and try to get it within range of what my data logger see at the track. You tune to the condition you'll be running at the track. If not, you're just producing artificial number or ideal condition number.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
Originally Posted by itS2Krazy' timestamp='1332826827' post='21547029
Functionality, i'd say yes. Theres nothing wrong with having vents to keep the engine cool. A cooler engine is a happy engine.
If the engine is already at operating temperature, the hood doesn't help as far as cooling it further. The engine is designed to have temperature at 180 to 200 degree Fahrenheit. It is regulated by the Thermostat. IF the hood allow cooler temperature, the thermostat will take over and close the coolant flow so the engine will still operate at 180 to 200 degree Fahrenheit. Engine that operated outside this designed temperature are not healthy. Cooler is also not healthy. That's why you can't engage vtec when the engine is cooler than designed temperature. The oil, bearing clearance, thermal expansion of the materials are not designed to operate outside this temperature range. Any mechanic/engine builder should know this.
All you are taking about here is coolant temperature. Another temperature to consider is your intake air temperature(IAT). Anyone with a stock airbox that has driving in stop and go traffic on a hot day is aware of how much heat is absorbed by the intake as the motor bogs significantly. A hot intake also effects the HP that the motor puts out. A vented hood should help reduce the heat soak that happens, especially those like the Mugen hood that have venting right about the header. Anything you can do to reduce the IAT is a + in my book.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM

Looking at the design of the hood I can't see how those vents would produce down force. Now if we were talking about the ASM hood then I could see how it would produce down force as it is actually designed to taking air that is brought in through the bumper over the v-mount radiator and out of the opening of the hood over the roof of the car. I don't know if that made sense but it did in my head.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 PM

To reduce IAT, you should draw air outside the engine bay. Try logging the IAT. The IAT on 2000 to 2005 S2K will always be higher than 2006 and up because location of the IAT. The 2006 and up is on the elbow, and 2005 and below is on the Intake Manifold (IM). The difference between the two is because the IM is made of metal and conduct more heat than the elbow. This doesn't mean the one on the elbow is more correct. In fact the one on the IM is more correct cause that's what the engine sees.

I learned a lot by logging various sensors on the engines and where the location of the sensors.

Also, don't get me wrong. The hood vent will lower your engine bay temperature, but it has nothing to do to cool down the engine itself. That is done by the water flowing through the radiator.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by bjeong1381
Looking at the design of the hood I can't see how those vents would produce down force. Now if we were talking about the ASM hood then I could see how it would produce down force as it is actually designed to taking air that is brought in through the bumper over the v-mount radiator and out of the opening of the hood over the roof of the car. I don't know if that made sense but it did in my head.
It's about directing the air to create high pressure versus low pressure. I'm an engineer, but not an aero physicist, so I can't dwelve too much into it as it is outside my area of expertise.

Quick Reply: Are seibon mugen style hood functional?