California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Security question

Old 11-11-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rydelow
Originally Posted by SoREALemjay' timestamp='1321052974' post='21149522
I'm really picky when it comes to who does my alarm. I don't like going to local shops just because its local, with that being said PM that shop in Stockton. I see no reason for glass sensor just becuase I have a soft top. I totally forgot about those club locks, I'll be purchasing them today. Where does everyone put their backup battery? The only place I could think of is the trunk.
ygpm
Could you send me the details of that shop too? Have an alarm that needs to installed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by stacey
Originally Posted by NsaneR3vs' timestamp='1320699512' post='21136198
[quote name='calxtreme' timestamp='1320687974' post='21135461']
[quote name='NsaneR3vs' timestamp='1320535543' post='21132115']
I always put ignition kill switches on all my cars. When I put an alarm in I have the installer hide a kill switch. Done deal
Have they ever been tested by thieves?
Nope but its to make it more difficult to steal. A thief will figure out what to take, your job is to make that more difficult to do. Id rather have my car still there then gone to a chop shop
[/quote]

Ever heard of a tow truck?

[/quote]
Are you serious? You think a thief will invest in a tow truck? They're trying to make money not spend it. I think youre analyzing a bit too hard there
Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 PM

With older cars I know it's possible to take a screw driver, jab it behind the steering column and start the car this way. But from what I can see this is not so easily done with newer cars. So without the key, how exactly would a thief steal an s2k and drive it away without a tow truck?

I guess if this is the case then there really isn't any purpose to a kill switch in an s2k unless you're afraid they'll have your keys. Then in this case if the fuel pump switch is set to "off", even if they have your keys and try to turn the engine over it won't start. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 PM

If a car thief is smart enough they can figure out what's not causing the car to start. I'd rather have my alarm go off with back up sirens to warn me. Anything helps to make the process longer. They figured out the club for the steering wheel and the lock for the brake/clutch. Nothing is impossible to steal. It's just up to you what you want on your car to make it that much more harder for car thieves.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NsaneR3vs
Originally Posted by stacey' timestamp='1321062224' post='21149821
[quote name='NsaneR3vs' timestamp='1320699512' post='21136198']
I always put ignition kill switches on all my cars. When I put an alarm in I have the installer hide a kill switch. Done deal
Nope but its to make it more difficult to steal. A thief will figure out what to take, your job is to make that more difficult to do. Id rather have my car still there then gone to a chop shop
[/quote]

[/quote]
Are you serious? You think a thief will invest in a tow truck? They're trying to make money not spend it. I think youre analyzing a bit too hard there
[/quote]
Yes, organized thieves use tow trucks. Google it.
Unlikely that a solo smash-grab act would use one though.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by stacey' timestamp='1321062224' post='21149821
[quote name='NsaneR3vs' timestamp='1320699512' post='21136198']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

thieves DO HAVE tow trucks. IMO its always a risk to park the S2000 ANYWHERE. its like a cookie jar. i say if i was given an option id pick LO JACK. make sure no one jacks it? LO JACK/ALARM/STEERING WHEEL QUICK RELEASE SET UP and KILL SWITCHES. now that is what i call over analyzing.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:30 PM

Since there is so much paranoia going around, lo-jack is your best option
Old 11-12-2011, 12:07 AM

Since there is so much paranoia going around, lo-jack is your best option
Lo-jack would be great but it's so expense! plus lo-jack can be discovered by thieves while they're in the process of stripping the car down too. Our car's are so small that there are only so many hiding places, and a team of 4 thieves will strip a car clean in under 30 minutes. For instance the car is stolen at 3am, you wake up at 6am and the car has already been stripped clean while Lo-jack leads you to your empty chassis. They drilled a hole through your hood above your battery location and your alarm is deactivated once all the fluid has leaked out (This is why I always encourage the back up battery) and the car was towed away. Yeah I'm kinda paranoid. My best bet is that the back up battery remains functional while they're towing the car.

What I really want to find is an alarm/2 way/ gps application for my cell phone. Something with instant response and gps without spending $1k on lo-jack.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thieves will do anything to get what they want. If they are serious they will teamup and bring heavy equipment. The point of a car security is to make them fail or make it time consuming/etc.

I find a removable steering wheel usefull because I like to turn the wheel when I park. Even though all they need to do is jack up the car and turn the wheel, it will be slightly time more consuming for them. I agree with Mike, Lo-Jack has its ups and downs and I will personally pass on their exensive service. By the way, who has Lo-Jack in their S? I don't think I know anyone but then again your suppose to keep it a secret.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:30 AM

I don't know what else to tell you. Being apprehensive of every suggestion and then coming up with a situation that is not likely to happen in your case is just making your situation much more difficult than it need be. Like I said, anything can be stolen, it's just your job to make it harder. Now its up to you to choose the best route you feel needs to be taken care of

Quick Reply: Security question