California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Saying Good-Bye to the S2k--need help prepping for storage

Old 03-22-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saying Good-Bye to the S2k--need help prepping for storage

Does anybody have any recommended steps to take for prepping it for storage during the ten-week trip across the ocean?

fuel-stabilizer?
air pressure in tires?
Things I might not have thought of?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

battery tender , i would just use up the fuel to little left and put fuel stabilizer inside than when you come back refuel with new gas.

10 week is not bad at all.

just do an oil change when you come back, refuel and put battery back on and you should be good.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:28 PM

You can put your car on jack stands to prevent flat spots on your tires.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by calxtreme
You can put your car on jack stands to prevent flat spots on your tires.
I wish...it's going to be loaded on a boat and shipped across the ocean. I believe they disconnect the battery during this because they do the same for motorcycles.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:43 PM

I spend a lot of time underway (out at sea) and away from home. I have to leave my car behind in storage for months at a time. I have to concur with the previous comments that 10 weeks is not long.

Aside from the usual fluids and battery, I would recommend you put some cheap tires on it. Sitting in one spot for a long period of time could cause flat spots on the tires. Also, I would recommend raising the car if it's currently lowered. Actually, I highly recommend this!! Reason being and coming from experience from shipping my car, they load up the cars up huge ramps sometimes. You risk scratching your bumper and or exhaust. Lastly, I would take pictures and videos just prior to you shipping out the car. Make sure you get a news paper or something to prove the date. Many people will be in the car. Sometimes up to 4-5 different people and you know they will not treat your car with the upmost pristine care.

v/r
James
Old 03-22-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kalibos
I spend a lot of time underway (out at sea) and away from home. I have to leave my car behind in storage for months at a time. I have to concur with the previous comments that 10 weeks is not long.

Aside from the usual fluids and battery, I would recommend you put some cheap tires on it. Sitting in one spot for a long period of time could cause flat spots on the tires. Also, I would recommend raising the car if it's currently lowered. Actually, I highly recommend this!! Reason being and coming from experience from shipping my car, they load up the cars up huge ramps sometimes. You risk scratching your bumper and or exhaust. Lastly, I would take pictures and videos just prior to you shipping out the car. Make sure you get a news paper or something to prove the date. Many people will be in the car. Sometimes up to 4-5 different people and you know they will not treat your car with the upmost pristine care.

v/r
James
Thanks, James. I plan to put painters tape on all the areas that could get scratched like bumpers. Pictures first. But does that even sound like a good idea? also I guess seats moved all the way back is a good idea too. The car is stock height, thank God. Tires aren't ready to change, but I don't have the option to put different ones on. Thanks again (Everyone)
Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by pingels
Originally Posted by Kalibos' timestamp='1332466981' post='21535407

v/r
James
Thanks, James. I plan to put painters tape on all the areas that could get scratched like bumpers. Pictures first. But does that even sound like a good idea? also I guess seats moved all the way back is a good idea too. The car is stock height, thank God. Tires aren't ready to change, but I don't have the option to put different ones on. Thanks again (Everyone)

Nothing will hurt by putting painters tape, thats a good idea. Keep in mind that a boat rocks so theres always a chance of something thats not tied down and secured properly, can bump into the car. We call this "Gear Adrift" (Sorry man, i'm in the Coast Guard...lol) We always prevent having gear adrift issues but after doing maritime enforcement for a while, i can say that a lot of ships really don't carry the same standard.

v/r
James

Old 03-22-2012, 08:14 PM

Is it an option to take off the front and rear bumpers? Even if you put on painters tape, they can put it back on with their own!
Old 03-22-2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie J
Is it an option to take off the front and rear bumpers? Even if you put on painters tape, they can put it back on with their own!
I don't think so. It's supposed to be street legal and appear to be all together when turning it in. I know for my motorcycle, I have to take off the mirrors and windshield (haha--streetfighter = what windshield?) but the car should be all 'put=together'. I'll make sure to document the condition before it goes on the boat. I think I'll also drop the deductible just in case there is an issue.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kalibos
Nothing will hurt by putting painters tape,
The painters/masking tape I found advertised a "can be removed up to 14 days later" property. Did not want to chance it. Car is on a truck then goes on a boat. It should get to my next home in 63 days. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Saying Good-Bye to the S2k--need help prepping for storage