California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Sam Wo restaurant closing

Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there twice. They have cheap and good food. They will be missed.

-Z-
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I enjoyed meals at Sam Wo's back in time when Edsel Ford Wong was keeping order. Greatly saddened to hear of the landmark closing its doors.
T.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One of my friend works there. I rate the food quality to be 5 of 10, service 5 of 10. Even though the food I've encountered had some rocks of salt after eating certain dishes, they're still one of a few restaurant open very late. Actually, they are the only restaurant close to various clubs, and still willing to open up for late club partiers. Where else will you go? Exactly!! Everybody, nothing is even open at this time! I like the old fashioned deteriorating architecture, scent, and somewhat foreign, eerie environment of Chinatown. Kind of makes you feel like you're in China but the experience is right here in SF. I kind of get tired of visiting the same big restaurant chains, tired of experiencing perfection, competition, hype, and overly rated businesses. I want to see the back door of business operation. haha! Yea, no more fake smiles of host/hostess taking you to be seated. It's more cool to have the owner or someone that makes you feel a bit jumpy of what the restaurant experience will be like. Anyhow, besides that! What other restaurants have you or your family seen lasting more than 100 years? It takes a lot of dermination, consistent hard-work, and management to still be able to deliver either a product or service with decent quality for many years. Sam Wo was able to remain dedicated to duplicate a service/product that everyone still enjoy going to. It doesn't matter if the dishes taste any good. When people are drunk at 2, 3, 4 am, you can't really taste anything. You're just glad someone is putting their time to extend their business hours so you can have a place to call home and recover for an hour or so. I hope Sam Wo figures out a resolution of overcome building/fire code. I would hate to see all the workers lose their job. I hope Sam Wo is given the chance to retrofit/remodel and last at least another 100+ years.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM

During the final day, Friday, the line was wrapped around the corner with loyal customers. The line didn't move and some people waited for 5+ hours. The business stayed opened late, until 430am, so that everyone was able to get in. People were sitting next to people they didn't know. People were standing. Food was running out, and the wait staff decided to serve the customers whatever little that still remained. People loved it. That's some dedication.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 PM

Awww man, that sucks. Back in college in the early 00's my whole fraternity used to take over the top floor and bring in our own keg. Place felt like it would collapse back then.

I'll miss being yelled at byt the 4'6" old lady waitress.