California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

S2000 Tow Hitch & Bike Rack Options?

Old 06-23-2014, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KVee
I dont know the actual rating for this hitch but it seems to be maxed out when i was towing the uhaul trailer. I also notice it was extremely stressful for the power-train and drive train as i was towing.
I'm not surprised.. I towed that exact trailer with my MDX a couple weeks ago and I could feel the weight of the trailer behind me while it was empty.. I certainly do not recommend towing that trailer with the S2000.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1403585313' post='23215386
^^^^ NICE PICS IF YOUR LITTLE CAR WITH THE BIG RACK....I MEAN, TRAILER!!seriously, that's pretty cool & surprising that you can tow something that big!can you post a rear pic of your car? a close up woupd be nice too. i want to see how the hitch looks mounted. does the license plate slide down, like the gladman hitch or do you have to take off the plate?also, where'd you get the hitch, & how much?thanks!
i dont know if you can see it clearly but it mounts under the bottom of the bumper.. It mounts on using 3 places. 1 by the differential mount, and 2 on either side of the bumper crash beam (bracket sandwiched between frame and brace). This design is made to be quick release (cotter type clip and slide pin) for easy removal when not in use, however you can use nuts and bolts for a permanent install. I dont know the actual rating for this hitch but it seems to be maxed out when i was towing the uhaul trailer. I also notice it was extremely stressful for the power-train and drive train as i was towing.
thanks for the pics and additional info. my mistake, i thought your Chase hitch was like the Gladman and had the hitch positioned higher and hidden behind the license plate, when not in use. that's what i want. i really don't want to see the hitch or bar hanging down there.

can you remove your chase hitch w/out dropping the bumper? if so, i will consider getting it then.

Originally Posted by xpressive
Originally Posted by S2KVee' timestamp='1403590114' post='23215430
I dont know the actual rating for this hitch but it seems to be maxed out when i was towing the uhaul trailer. I also notice it was extremely stressful for the power-train and drive train as i was towing.
I'm not surprised.. I towed that exact trailer with my MDX a couple weeks ago and I could feel the weight of the trailer behind me while it was empty.. I certainly do not recommend towing that trailer with the S2000.
as mentioned, i don't plan to tow anything with my S. i just want a hitch to mount a bike rack, but even then, i think it'll still struggle a bit w/the added payload. our little cars aren't exactly torque monsters.

we'll see. i hope to get something before the end of summer. in the meantime, still welcome others' feedback and experiences.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:12 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Ha, that trailer weighs 1200 pounds EMPTY.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:37 PM

i've only driven a tow vehicle w/a trailer once. it was a full size Ryder truck w/my old Integra on the trailer way back in the day when I moved back to the Bay Area from SoCal. it was in the twilight hours and dang scary w/the fully loaded truck, esp coming down the Grapevine! the brakes were shot on truck too, so that didn't help. My friend tailing in my other car said he saw sparks flying whenever I braked. not the smartest thing i ever did.

i can't imagine what it's like to use an s2k as a tow car. our cars scream and strain enough as it is.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
[quote name='Trustd_1' timestamp='1403585313' post='23215386']^^^^ NICE PICS IF YOUR LITTLE CAR WITH THE BIG RACK....I MEAN, TRAILER!!seriously, that's pretty cool & surprising that you can tow something that big!can you post a rear pic of your car? a close up woupd be nice too. i want to see how the hitch looks mounted. does the license plate slide down, like the gladman hitch or do you have to take off the plate?also, where'd you get the hitch, & how much?thanks!
i dont know if you can see it clearly but it mounts under the bottom of the bumper.. It mounts on using 3 places. 1 by the differential mount, and 2 on either side of the bumper crash beam (bracket sandwiched between frame and brace). This design is made to be quick release (cotter type clip and slide pin) for easy removal when not in use, however you can use nuts and bolts for a permanent install. I dont know the actual rating for this hitch but it seems to be maxed out when i was towing the uhaul trailer. I also notice it was extremely stressful for the power-train and drive train as i was towing.
thanks for the pics and additional info. my mistake, i thought your Chase hitch was like the Gladman and had the hitch positioned higher and hidden behind the license plate, when not in use. that's what i want. i really don't want to see the hitch or bar hanging down there.

can you remove your chase hitch w/out dropping the bumper? if so, i will consider getting it then.

as mentioned, i don't plan to tow anything with my S. i just want a hitch to mount a bike rack, but even then, i think it'll still struggle a bit w/the added payload. our little cars aren't exactly torque monsters.

we'll see. i hope to get something before the end of summer. in the meantime, still welcome others' feedback and experiences.
[/quote]

Yes the removal of the hitch does not require the removal of bumper... Bumper is only needed to be remove during install and uninstall. To remove the hitch when not in use does require the car to be lifted on jack to access the pins and clips. If your looking for a hidden hitch, I think gladmans would suit you best. Just be aware of the typical issues with gladman, I've read a bunch of issues of attachment not able to clear the bumper cuz the hitch is further in.. People claims for some attachments, or towing requires and extension adapter to move the hitch mount further out to clear the bumper during use
Old 06-25-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1403631956' post='23216148
[quote name='S2KVee' timestamp='1403590114' post='23215430']
[quote name='Trustd_1' timestamp='1403585313' post='23215386']^^^^ NICE PICS IF YOUR LITTLE CAR WITH THE BIG RACK....I MEAN, TRAILER!!seriously, that's pretty cool & surprising that you can tow something that big!can you post a rear pic of your car? a close up woupd be nice too. i want to see how the hitch looks mounted. does the license plate slide down, like the gladman hitch or do you have to take off the plate?also, where'd you get the hitch, & how much?thanks!

[/quote]

Yes the removal of the hitch does not require the removal of bumper... Bumper is only needed to be remove during install and uninstall. To remove the hitch when not in use does require the car to be lifted on jack to access the pins and clips. If your looking for a hidden hitch, I think gladmans would suit you best. Just be aware of the typical issues with gladman, I've read a bunch of issues of attachment not able to clear the bumper cuz the hitch is further in.. People claims for some attachments, or towing requires and extension adapter to move the hitch mount further out to clear the bumper during use
[/quote]

thanks for the feedback and advice. i do like that the hitch is hidden w/the Gladman. i'll have to see what he says about the defective ones people had though. i don't mind using an extension to help the bike rack & bikes clear the bumper. i definitely don't want them messing up my bumper or trunk.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:27 AM

Late response for Trustd_1 any luck in finding Hitch for your S2000? I have one that I recently removed from my 03 2000!! PM me if still intersted!
Old 12-28-2014, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by JR0130
Late response for Trustd_1 any luck in finding Hitch for your S2000? I have one that I recently removed from my 03 2000!! PM me if still intersted!
thanks for the reply and heads up on your hitch. i didn't follow through on my hitch search. got sidetracked by other projects and things. i am still interested in getting a hitch, but i think it's going to be the Gladman or bust. i have a rear diffuser, so the traditional hitches won't work.