California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Russell Racing Karting Courses

Old 10-15-2002, 11:55 AM
pll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. Here's the deal. They have a two Techniques of Karting classes (Sprint karts) open in December. (12/2 and 12/19). It looks like 12/19 (Thursday) would be a good date. It's $350 per person. You get a 15% discount on the Advanced Sprint Karting class on 12/20 if you sign up for both at once. The normal cost of the Advanced class is $400, and is $340 with the discount. Unfortunately, I already signed up for their Advanced Racing Course that weekend so I can't do the second Karting class.

I already signed up for the 12/19 class. Give Russell Racing a call at 1-800-831-5278 (direct line). The guy's name is Ren (or something like that). The class is capped at 12 people and he said that there was already two people signed up for it. 3 now that I'm in there. So call soon if you want to be in that class.

If you're interested, they also have a karting series which starts in March. It's 6 races (one per month). The champion gets a free season of racing. I'm not sure if that's a karting season or if it's for their formula Russell series. It would be cool if it was the Formula Russell season

Anyway, I hope to see you guys there...
Old 10-15-2002, 03:27 PM

I called and left Ren (sp?) a message about two hours ago but haven't heard back. I'll try again later.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:40 PM
pll

I think he leaves pretty early. I called around 3PM PT yesterday and he was gone already.
Old 10-15-2002, 03:43 PM

Wow, he gets to play with race cars all day long AND leave early! I want that job!
Old 10-16-2002, 11:26 AM

I am registered from 12/19. CaliS2k, Asura, RWD_RCKT, you guys coming?
Old 10-16-2002, 04:45 PM
Former Moderator

Myself, I'm going to stop tracking the s2000 and wait to buy a kart. More seat time, less expensive and much more thrilling! The Jim Russell thing is cool, but I have trouble justifying the expense of running there and with my experience from their track school I don't really think I'd gain much from their instruction. Like John said, it's all about seat time. Demoing one of his karts two weeks ago I learned quite a bit...the other guys that came with me didn't have nearly as much track experience but I think they learned a lot as well just with the amount of time they spent behind the wheel.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:12 PM
pll

Yup. Agreed. Tracking a car is expensive. Karting has moved to the top of my list until I graduate...

Some of us aren't quite at your level yet, so formal instruction is really nice For instance, I tooled around Thunderhill all day at krazik's Day of Thunder last year with some of the advanced drivers riding along and I didn't learn squat. But after I took some intro racing courses, I was able to figure out how to pick my lines and experiment. Since, I've never karted before, I want to learn some basic techniques first instead of just jumping in a kart and driving, which in my opinion could waste just as much money.

Maybe we can start a general karting thread with karting links and info. It'd be very convenient for those of us interested in karting...
Old 10-17-2002, 12:49 PM

PLL,

I honestly think it's best to just jump right into a single gear kart (Non-shifter) and get comfortable with it first. REAL race karts are incredibly fast and have lightning quick response, so trying to explain basic technique is basically useless until the driver is ready to apply it.

I could sit here all day giving you a Formal driving lesson, but to understand and to actually do it is two totally different things. With seat time, you get knowledge of how the kart drives and handles. All you have to do is follow someone fast when out on a test day and that's all the driving instruction you need!

Unabageler (Josh?), get a kart from me and I guarantee you'll learn MUCH more!!! BTW, I'll have the 80 shifter out this weekend Sunday if you want to check it out. Just give me a ring.

Just my 2-cents.

John
www.fastech-racing.com
Old 12-13-2002, 08:38 AM

Other than pll and myself, is anyone else coming to this?

It's kind of early but weather.com shows a 50% chance of rain in Sonoma on Thursday. Should be fun!
Old 12-13-2002, 08:49 AM
pll

Nice! It's going to be a great weekend to work on car control at the track.

Quick Reply: Russell Racing Karting Courses