California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Running my first 1/4 June 6th....

Old 05-30-2001, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already posted this in Car talk but I thought there might be a better response over here to my regional questions about experience at Sears Pointe:

I am going to run my car in the 1/4 next Wednesday, June 6th. I have never actually ran a 1/4 before and I am curious as to how skilled, or un-skilled I actually am in the 1/4. Couple quick questions:

I am already low on tread on the stock S02's. Which will produce the best launch, keeping them on or getting a new set?

If I should get a new set, are there any recommendations for a good drag tire?

If I should keep them, what PSI should I set them at?

Has anyone ever run at Sears Point in this kind of weather? If so, what is the optimum rpm drop?

Any other advice is more than welcome...

Thanks!!
Old 06-01-2001, 08:29 PM
Banned

Humantek,

Well, it's going to depend on alot of things at Sears point..

On s02s I never got good traction there, and would guess your s02's are fine. Either way, getting new ones won't give you the comparisons perspective you could get if you keep the old set...and next time try the new set. (:
I suspect changing a factor like tires just before you race might throw you off more than help you out.
If you don't drop your clutch quickly (i.e. think light switch ON/OFF) your clutch will slip and you'll burn a nice hole in your disk. I've seen a lot of people do this at thier first 1/4 because of nervousness/exitement. Try to relax, but focus.And remember you are competing against yourself. No one else. Think GTurismo. If I think like that I focus more usually and tend to remember things I did and did'nt do correctly.
I saw a guy in a Zr1 with a BIG mouth, pull a sloppy 16 second 1/4. While an unassuming guy in a celica got in under 15! But most people are just generally interested in getting there cars to perform well. The track is a great equalizer..
I know you'll see alot of posts about drop technique, but to each there own if your comfortable. That said. After dropping from (assuming no mods it was 7400 for me stock) let up on the accelerator a little as your tires will be spinning and you want to get moving.

( note-if your car is my2000 your clutch is stronger. 2001 is weaker and can make a huge variance on drop rpms. Miss my 2000 clutch..)

This is the hardest part of launching IMO, and I can only say that your butt, and right foot will know how to hook up quickly after practicing. In the end theres no substitue for doing it in real life. But you can practice in your car (while it's not running) and Get a feel for dropping your clutch quickly and feathering the gas.
Try it out on a deserted road, and you will know what I mean about hooking up.
Last thing is look at your slip and figure where you are losing time.(act gaining) and that is the area you should focus on. I will check the tire pressure settings. As for weather, whats it like right now?

Oh yeah, I know this may sound stupid and obvious but...
lose the spare tire, tools, seat if your THAT serious and w 1/4 tank of gas and all the distracting crap out of your
car go for it! Also, really MASH that throttle pedal. I know this is obvious but I found through time I was not giving pedal full depression.

Hope this helps.And remember the home team is cheering you on.

LMK when you are going again. I'll try to make it and give you some competition.
Old 06-04-2001, 09:50 AM

Thanks visc...you gave me a couple things to think about/work on that I hadnt been aware of. I will let you know next time I go....
Old 06-04-2001, 06:40 PM
Banned

Humantek,

Good, I'm glad to help..Good luck! You might want to ask sev, he seems to be a pretty good dragger.

P.S. Watch out too for the tendency for a pull to the right if you drop too hard. And try 6,800 not 7400.. Plus practice with tire pressur, weight, etc or your car might throw you. Let us know. I have to go pretty soon too to check out a mission final gear change. I'm hoping for high 12's!!
Old 06-04-2001, 09:58 PM

I'll be heading up there as well this weds with a few friends (M Coupe & M3)... seeya on the strip!
Old 06-06-2001, 10:07 PM

Well, first time on the drag strip, interesting crowd and boy did I learn alot on how they're run.

I beat two cars and then red lighted on my third run (whoops), my best 1/4 was 14.256 @ 97.701 (.596 reaction time).

After learning how these things actually functioned (amid a myrid of mistakes) I had a fun time... not to mention getting alot of attention from the girls didn't hurt!
Old 06-06-2001, 10:17 PM

DAMN!!! I wish I could've made it. My buddy had to bail at the last second due to the fact that his wife went into labor late this afternoon. I almost went anyways, but by the time I got him back home it was so late I probably wouldnt have even made in time to register. Next time...
Old 06-08-2001, 07:33 PM
Ozy

My first run 4 days after i got my stook i did a 14.6 @ 96mph. It was the first time i had ever dragged so everyone says thats acceptable for a first time run. It was faster than all the integra's and ceebics that were NA and faster than a GSR w/ a JRSC.