California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Runflat tires

Old 10-03-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buzzman3
Okay, so my friend has a 2006 Mini Cooper S and he's looking for new tires... something cheap. His tire size that he needs are 205/45-17. Now, his Cooper buddies and his manual says he needs these "runflat" tires. We all know how much more of a prestigous car the S2000 is than this Mini. So, is that just some kinda gimmick to weasel more money from Mini owners or what?
Depends. My 5 series came with runflats (Bridgestone Potenza RE050 run flats) but it also had a spare in the trunk. Not that I would ever use the spare though cause it's not a full size and the tires I have are staggered. IMO, I'd rather tow it than to put the spare on and run some funky mixmatch sizes (if the rear goes out, a front has to be moved to the rear and the spare put in the front.. like the S2k).

I was also told by the dealership that I "had to run" runflats. I did research, read on the 5 series forum, talked to other owners about running non run flats and ultimately when the tires needed changing, went with non run flats. My tires now are non run flats. Never regretted the decision to change it to regular tires. IMO, run flats aren't that great. They're expensive and for what you're paying, there's better options. Great in idea and concept, but not in execution.

If there is no spare, you run the risk of having a flat and being stuck. If your friend chooses to go non run flat and doesn't have a spare, I'd suggest traveling with a small air compressor (like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WG951W/...SIN=B000WG951W) and some tire plugs that you can get from Kragen like this:

That'll help you get through either a slow leak or a nail that you can plug on the spot and then refill the air with the compressor. Nothing is going to save you from a blowout.

I'd rather use the plug and air compressor than that tire foam thing. Someone at a tire shop once told me that once you spray that tire foam stuff into your tires, your tires are done. It's a temporary fix to get you to a safe place, but you'll need to replace your tire because the foamy gunky stuff builds up at that part in the tire and it's no longer balanced or something. Not sure how true that is, but that's what I was told.

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
I believe I had this conversation with Mac before, but the suspension on some cars equipped with run flats are specifically tuned to run only run flat tires, as they have much stiffer sidewalls than non-run flat tires.
I remember you told me about this. That's about the only difference that I noticed in my runflats vs non runflats, the sidewalls being stiffer on runflats than regular tires. I haven't noticed any difference in handling, driving, suspension etc. I wasn't on run flats for that long, but definitely don't feel like my car handles sloppy or poorly because of the regular tires that I have on it.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My friends JCW Mini came with run flats.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
I thought we did.
Yea, I may have said they could but I don't know if they do or even if it makes a difference.
I'd much rather run a regular tire then pay the premium for a run flat but getting a flat would suck.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, so the debate continues here on S2KI, but my buddy bought some used runflat tires in his size for a good price and the treadware is very minimal. He's happy, but paid like $80 or so per tire. I'll have to check on the price again.