California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

RS-3 prices on the rise?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heat cycled my last set of RS3's out with plenty of tread on the tire. They felt about the same as my last set of Star Specs after the drop off. I had heard the RS3's are good to the cords too and I was pretty disappointed to learn they most definitely are not. I fell more a lil more than 1 sec off my usual pace @ T'Hill.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by AyJay
I heat cycled my last set of RS3's out with plenty of tread on the tire. They felt about the same as my last set of Star Specs after the drop off. I had heard the RS3's are good to the cords too and I was pretty disappointed to learn they most definitely are not. I fell more a lil more than 1 sec off my usual pace @ T'Hill.
Are the SS's less prone to being heat cycled out?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by macr88
I still think the Z1's have a greater drop off than the RS3's do, one second on a road course really isn't that bad is it? I'd wager that the Z1's running in the same temps drop of more than that unless dunlapped has changed something.
I think you misunderstood. RS3 is the faster tire, no question. It also deal with heat much better than the Z1 star spec. On the star spec, I need to get my fastest time in the first 2 laps, or it will slowly get slower each lap. RS3 on the other hand, I get my fastest lap after 5 laps. Once you finish the session, it is rinse and repeat.

However, once the RS3 is near the wear bar (starting from full thread), I notice we loose grip quite significantly. About 1 sec than it was new. I'm guessing here as I don't have data on shaved tires, that it was because it is heat cycled out. Not because the compound is different near the wear bar.

On the Z1, it lasted further just after the wear bar before it loose grip. Also about 1 second. However, the loose in grip is more abrupt and the car was very tricky to drive.

I also guesstimate that on the street, you probably won't feel any difference as the tire will never be pushed to the limit constantly.

I think for track day enthusiast or weekend warrior, RS3 provide best bang for the buck.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1340757388' post='21814015
RS3 is sadly not nearly as nice as the z1
Says who?

Z1's are more expensive.
They loose their grip towards the end far more than RS3's do.
They're noisy before the limit (annoying but great for newbs)
They don't sound like I have bad wheel bearings
Dunlapped makes them.

The first three kill it for me.

We all have our own likes and dislikes I'm sure but to say they're not nearly as nice is very opinionated.

I personally don't like either but the RS3 is cheaper and has good grip. If they were the same price as Z1's I'd probably get AD08's or something similar.
Says me.

Softer sidewall
Faster wear

RS3s nor Z1's were particularly loud on my car. I don't know what everyone is saying here. Are we all forgetting the cabin noise from the motor/wind/road? It's near 95db on a stock car at 65mph. If the tire changes that much it was missed by my me.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1340757388' post='21814015
[quote name='logikbmb' timestamp='1340751229' post='21813828']
What's the new bank for our buck tire that gives us the same performance as similar to the RS3 / StarSpecs?
The RS3 is the cheap z1
The htrZ III is the cheap rs3

Not as nice? You mean not as street friendly???
[/quote]
Sidewall is not as firm so it didn't 'feel' as confident. The ride did get a tad softer so the rs3's might be more 'street friendly' whatever that means.

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by odb812' timestamp='1340760520' post='21814125
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1340757388' post='21814015']
[quote name='logikbmb' timestamp='1340751229' post='21813828']
What's the new bank for our buck tire that gives us the same performance as similar to the RS3 / StarSpecs?
The RS3 is the cheap z1
The htrZ III is the cheap rs3

I don't know about all of that. I've had htr-zIII and RS3s and there is a decent gap in performance between the two. I've never owned star specs, but I've autocrossed on them and didn't notice much difference in performance with the RS3s. I've heard star specs warm up quicker, but the tires were already warm when I drove on star specs, so I have no opinion in that regard.
[/quote]
I can't imagine that the htrzIII is comparable to the z1/rs3 in that way. I agree that rs3 and z1 are comparable, but htrzIII is a different class of tire as far as im concerned.
[/quote]

When you start looking for a tire to replace the RS3 tell me what you find. That does it all well.

You trade softer side wall for longer tread life for the HTR ZIII and they were pretty good at the track. After I got my air pressure in line they handled 20 minute sessions with an air temp 95f+ (not sure what the track temp was).

So with the HTRZIII I've saved some money. Got longer tread life. Still trackable. After the RS3/Z1 you'll find the options fall off pretty quickly.

Originally Posted by -BTT-' timestamp='1340771462' post='21814533
[quote name='macr88' timestamp='1340762822' post='21814221']
They loose their grip towards the end far more than RS3's do.
Meaning, as they get more worn out?
Yup, the RS3's are good down to the cords
[/quote]
I didn't find this to be true. Just watch out those cords show pretty quickly.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by chetly
The DWS is a snow tire, did you mean Dw in the plural form? Either way, the contis are no where near the grip level of a RS3 or Star Spec.
No, I meant the DWS. I am considering them since they have a better wear and wet traction rating than the DW. My intention with the next tire purchase is to get a set of daily tires that will last longer, still be fun to drive, and easy on the wallet. If any of you can think of a reason why the DWS isn't the right tire then I'm all ears.

As for the RS3s, I really enjoyed, them especially on the track. But ultimately, I plan to use the RS3s solely for track use. For now, I just need something that will be more daily friendly.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have hankook v12 evo for sale in for sale section. Really good tires for daily and spirited drive. Look up some independent/magazine review on these tires.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by DaPhatty
Originally Posted by chetly' timestamp='1340804536' post='21815213

The DWS is a snow tire, did you mean Dw in the plural form? Either way, the contis are no where near the grip level of a RS3 or Star Spec.
No, I meant the DWS. I am considering them since they have a better wear and wet traction rating than the DW. My intention with the next tire purchase is to get a set of daily tires that will last longer, still be fun to drive, and easy on the wallet. If any of you can think of a reason why the DWS isn't the right tire then I'm all ears.

As for the RS3s, I really enjoyed, them especially on the track. But ultimately, I plan to use the RS3s solely for track use. For now, I just need something that will be more daily friendly.
DWS is an all season tire. Not that you cannot run it but I don't think you need the 'snow' aspect of it.

What mileage are you hoping to get out of your next tires?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
I have hankook v12 evo for sale in for sale section. Really good tires for daily and spirited drive. Look up some independent/magazine review on these tires.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaPhatty
Originally Posted by chetly' timestamp='1340804536' post='21815213

If you have another set of tires for the track, the DWS are great. I've even tracked and autcrossed with them. I've also used the DW on the track and autocross. There is a good gap in performance, but there is a bigger gap in treadwear between the two. The DWS is good enough for street driving and you can put a ton of miles on them. Mine looked like they had plenty of tread in them after 2 years and 20k when I sold the car.

Quick Reply: RS-3 prices on the rise?