California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

RS-3 prices on the rise?

Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrie
The RS3 loose grip significantly once it hits the wear bar. Or it's just heat cycled out. I experienced a drop in lap time by 1 second. My guess is they heat cycled out. Meaning if they are shaved, they'd be good to cord.

The Z1 star spec also cycled out just pass the wear bar.

Those tires were used since brand new and frequently used on the street as well as on the track.
I trust Andrie!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Most are
i was talking about slicks my bad.

when i rode in mac's car when he had the bald rs3's (that one special night ) they weren't very noisey
Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88
What are you guys smokin?
These were great on Skaggs
I don't have cords showing yet. I'm also not as skilled of a driver as you are Mac. Maybe one day.

These prices have me reconsidering my next tire purchase. It'll likely cost me ~$400 to have AI install new rears. Considering the life of this tire, I may just spend a little more for some Continental DWS... I don't know... Still trying to figure shit out.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:27 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Not the same stuff you are apparently . I was very happy to get the RS-3's off my car as the grip level had gone to shit.
You hated them from the start lol so why wouldn't you be happy to get rid of them. Your issues with them probably stem from under inflation.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:32 AM
Former Moderator

I still think the Z1's have a greater drop off than the RS3's do, one second on a road course really isn't that bad is it? I'd wager that the Z1's running in the same temps drop of more than that unless dunlapped has changed something.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:35 AM
Former Moderator

RS3's are also noisy but I could care less about added noise since my car has no aftermarket intake or exhaust.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaPhatty
Originally Posted by macr88' timestamp='1340776442' post='21814669

What are you guys smokin?
These were great on Skaggs
I don't have cords showing yet. I'm also not as skilled of a driver as you are Mac. Maybe one day.

These prices have me reconsidering my next tire purchase. It'll likely cost me ~$400 to have AI install new rears. Considering the life of this tire, I may just spend a little more for some Continental DWS... I don't know... Still trying to figure shit out.

The DWS is a snow tire, did you mean Dw in the plural form? Either way, the contis are no where near the grip level of a RS3 or Star Spec.

A lot of the fast auto-x'ers have switched from the RS=3 to the SS because of the getting hotter quicker. When you only have 3 runs at an auto-x, sometimes thats not enough time to get them hot. SS's also require less camber than the RS3s so thats a plus.

For a daily tire, the DW's are a perfect tire, mountain roads also unless your in the fast group... SS are nice because they work in cooler weather where the RS3s are bricks. Driving or auto-xing in temps under 55 is not fun on the RS3.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:42 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by DaPhatty
I'm not skilled enough either all I'm saying is grip is still surprisingly good considering their appearance, most tires have a huge drop off by this time. Like Andrie said, his only dropped off by one second and that isn't bad at all.
You might be scared of the early morning grip and I would completely agree with you there, they really suck when cold and I've have my no grip fun moments on those occasions but when they warm up they're amazingly good for showing cords.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by macr88
Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1340777944' post='21814704
Not the same stuff you are apparently . I was very happy to get the RS-3's off my car as the grip level had gone to shit.
You hated them from the start lol so why wouldn't you be happy to get rid of them. Your issues with them probably stem from under inflation.
There is significant difference between not thinking they are the greatest thing since sliced bread to hating on them. Under inflation huh...okay.

I'm surprised you are such a fan of the RS-3's since you've always preferred feel over ultimate grip, since the RS-3's are definitely lacking in the feel area.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by chetly
SS's also require less camber than the RS3s so thats a plus.
This was one of the major reasons why I didn't purchase another set of RS-3's.

Quick Reply: RS-3 prices on the rise?