California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Road trip from Bay Area to Minnesota

Old 07-31-2005, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip from Bay Area to Minnesota

Hey, guys, my friend Clyde and I are doing a 10-day road trip in my S from here to Minneapolis. We've got 10 days, which leaves plenty of time for detours.

We'd love to hear about any twisties along the way that are not to be missed.

You can see our proposed route on our blog at:

www.mercextra.com/vindu

We'll let you know there about any great routes that we find.

Thanks.

Vindu "iwantmys2k" Goel
Old 07-31-2005, 05:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good luck guys
Old 07-31-2005, 06:14 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Go to the NorCal section's "Useful Links" and you'll find a link to a very comprehensive listing of GREAT backroads and drives in California. Yeah, it's run by motorcyclists, but by and large, most of the roads are great and drivable.

Oh yeah, and watch your if you go through Grants Pass, OR.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:51 PM

I had no idea you are actually on this board. Should have posted your thread earlier before it came out in the Merc. I posted a thread in the S2000 Talk forum about this, asking people across America to chime in:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=309972

I hope you two have a great trip together. But I still think the S2000 is too cramp to drive 2000+ miles in 10 days. Have fun, and good luck. I'll try to follow your blog along the way.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:32 PM

Have fun!

I'll stay here.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did 2100 miles in 4 days in a brand spankin new Mustang Convertible Hertz rental about two weeks ago and crush my spine in a vice if an S2000 isn't a Maybach compared to that domestic POS!

There aren't many twisty roads between here and Utah that I know of, but there are some AWESOME, random places to visit inbetween here and 1/2 way to MN that I know of. If I was you:

Day one: SJ to Reno (the biggest retarded little city that smells like the dirtiest bathtub in the world). Eat, drink, gamble, sleep, crap, then leave.
Day two: Reno to Boise (stay at the Doubletree, have dinner somewhere in 'old town' and then scarf down donuts and coffee across the street on the shore of the Boise river.
Day Three: Boise to Massacre Rocks St. Park that sits right on the snake river. Call in advance and rent one of two available cabins. A/C, board games, a "room diary" and room enough for 5, plus a BBQ pit and a sublime view of the Milky Way.
Day Four: Massacre rocks to Preston, ID (if you're a Napoleon Dynamite fan) and then onto Salt Lake City (which bites except for the food) OR head on up to Yellowstone (which also bites unless you like overcrowded places where traffic moves slower than grass grows).

That's as far East as I've gone in a car. Don't forget to: Bring your V1; SLOW DOWN to the exact speed limit in every FING town you drive through in NV and DO NOT SPEED if you make it up through the corner of OR into ID: Mormon troopers get a discount on Lidar if they own one or more trampolines, it seems. Once you get to Montana, though.....

Also, no matter how rushed you feel to make time, turn off every time you see a "Historical Site" sign. If you happen to see some beef jerky and a can of Diet Cherry Soda on the grave of Pocohontas' son in nowhere NV, I give you permission to feast away.

And one more thing: be prepared to be the ONLY S2000 between here and MN.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:41 PM

get one of those radar thingies...
Old 08-01-2005, 02:05 PM

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions.

We're actually going to do this WITHOUT radar detector (call us crazy), although we do plan to slow down in Nevada. Montana is a must so we can really open up the throttle.

The idea of turning off for every historical site is great--who knows what weird little spots there are out there.

We'll keep you guys posted on the blog.

Vindu "iwantmys2k" Goel
Old 08-15-2005, 09:04 AM

The dynamic duo of Clyde and Vindu are now 7 days into their 10 day road trip. You can follow their blogs here:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/vindu_clyde/index.html

Little was mentioned about the S2000 after their first day. Here are a few excerps:
[QUOTE]We actually managed to pack everything we need in the car. Vindu is hogging most of the room with the giant green backpack you can see here, with most of Clyde's stuff tucked away in nooks and crannies you can't see.